Cant deside - AEM or HALTECH E8 !?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Master Chief
Car: Nissan S14

For the past week iam reading everywhere and everything related.I have to Software, i read the instructions - i know what both systems can do.

Still, i cant deside.

Both are plug and play with base maps for the S14, etc...

I need to be able to tune and use the system myself, to tune it on the road. For argument sake - I DONT HAVE AND CANT GET ACCESS TO DYNOS IN MY COUNTRY.

I need to be able to get a good drivability for dayli use, from the tune.I want to keep all the auxiliries - AC/HEATR/DASH Lights and Gauges/etc...

I would like to be able to hook up an EGT to log, and offcours KNOCK as well would be nice - even if i need to use some kind of external 0-5V applifier.

I would like to know from people that have used one or both of the system, what do they think and recomand.

I dont care about other options, like PFC etc... only the two above.

Thanks.

doridori23
Car: 1996 SR20deT 240sx (mine) , 1998 KA24de (wife's)

AEM EMS's have a long history or being a royal pain in the arse for the SR motors so I would go with a Haltech but if your just looking for a daily driver why not go with a piggyback system from APEXi or GReddy?

Master Chief

The PFC is too limited for me, not to mention a pain in the *** getting the software ETC. For the price, you get much more from AEM or HALTECH.

As for piggy bag, i had the Greddy Ultimate - BRAND new, and just sold it - never got it out of the box.I couldnt find any help on base maps or anything.... desided its too much of an unknown.

AEM and Haltech are widely used for our cars, so there is plenty of info.They are superiour to the PFC so thats why iam trying to deside between them.

I know that many have the AEM, but so far, and i posted on a few forums, i cant get even 1 AEM owner to comment on this tread.

510six
Car: Turbo N20 six speed Datsun 510

I have an AEM EMS in my car after a serious PITA setup, I couldn`t be hapier.

ZL-Auto
Car: Zerolift Autolab - 513-874-2508 - [email protected]

For nissan Sr's you have to buy a pickup wheel from AEM for your CAS. If you call AEM tech support they offer a modified pickup wheel but DO NOT include it in the box when they well an EMS.

Master Chief

well, why no votes for AEM, then.

Also excus my french but, what is PITA ?

Geno750

Master Chief wrote:well, why no votes for AEM, then.

Also excus my french but, what is PITA ?
Pain in the a**

510six
Car: Turbo N20 six speed Datsun 510

The AEM would be my choice, I ended up using Ford VR sensors instead of the Nissan optical , at the time the 12-1 wheels for the CAS were not avalable . Several 300zxtt at a friends shop were running AEM and having timing errors, one was a Bonneville car that ended up setting the record for a stock bodied Japanese car .That was the car that AEM had the first 12-1 wheel for the optical sesor made for, as for myself another friend who was a tech at a Ford dealer suggested the Ford components .Today, I would just use the CAS and use the AEM 12-1 wheel.

atcdrifter
Car: 1989 240sx

haltech got it,love it reliable 7 out of 10 of are customer cars get it even tha na's ----www.illicitperformance.com

iheartmyturbo
Car: 91 180sx redtop sr 2871r .86

I have heard that the aem systems are very hit and miss with the sr's. but beyond the hear say point balnk the haltech is the better system. the aem is 16x16 bit while the haltech is 32x32. that's twice the tunability of the aem. and it has virtually all u would need i.e 2 step, boost control, knock sensor, if i'm not mistaken multiple maps for various boost etc. however the installation of the haltech WILL NOT be plug and play. other than that i have never heard of any one having problems with the haltech.

iheartmyturbo
Car: 91 180sx redtop sr 2871r .86

crap i lied the haltech is a plug and play system. hands down haltech.

steve shadows

AEM is garbage if you are comparing it to Haltech.

AEM was never designed to even work properly with the Nissan CAS.

Haltech was from the beginning.

Haltech is easier to use interface wise and I have dyno tuned serveral (I am a dyno tuner in socal for SR/Nissan and some BMW apps) and they are MUCH better systems.

AEM was rushed to market and is made to sell more than anything...

Haltech is made to make power...

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

Saying one was designed to make power and the other one is pretty stupid, why else would you go with a standalone. The AEM that I got came with the 24 1 wheel in the box, and after changing the setting for that, really was plug and play.

I don't know about the Haltech, but I know the AEM supports "auto tuning" which will get you in the right ball park. It can also log EGT straight the the ecu without any interface as long as you're using their thermocouples (not k types). You can also set EGT based timing compensation if you are so inclined.

I'm not knocking the Haltech, because I honestly haven't played with it. I have an AEM and have enjoyed it with no issues, so take that for what it's worth.

johngriff
Car: 240sx

The replacement wheel is such incredibly lower resolution than the OEM, that its basically taking a huge step backwards in tuning accuracy.

Steve knows what he's talking about, he has been around the block a few times.

Auto Tune has been a haltech feature since even their last generation of ECU's, so has egt monitoring and ignition correction.

Check out steve's site, he knows his stuff.

http://www.shadowerks.com

luv2spedup
Car: 89 silvia

the converted wrote:Saying one was designed to make power and the other one is pretty stupid, why else would you go with a standalone. The AEM that I got came with the 24 1 wheel in the box, and after changing the setting for that, really was plug and play.

I don't know about the Haltech, but I know the AEM supports "auto tuning" which will get you in the right ball park. It can also log EGT straight the the ecu without any interface as long as you're using their thermocouples (not k types). You can also set EGT based timing compensation if you are so inclined.

I'm not knocking the Haltech, because I honestly haven't played with it. I have an AEM and have enjoyed it with no issues, so take that for what it's worth.
i got an aem on a 480rwhp sr and i love it

johngriff

a 60-1 will not flow enough air to make that much output on an SR... so are sure about the statement you just made?

luv2spedup
Car: 89 silvia

johngriff wrote:a 60-1 will not flow enough air to make that much output on an SR... so are sure about the statement you just made?
60-1 with a big back housing at 28lbs of boost(and that too with race C16) with all the supporting mods.... do the math bro, im not some young punk who is trying to make up s**t, i have been playing with sr's since 1999-2000 and my car is set up for drag. but thanks for asking

johngriff

For anyone interested in getting in on our current group buy on haltech stuff, go here and sign up.

http://www.rpsport.net/groupbuy

sr_240sx
Car: 1989 240sx w/SR20DET and 2003 Altima SE 3.5L

I also have a 60-1 with my SR just in case. But going back to the ? I would say Microtech!!!!!

Blown240sx
Car: 1996 240sx

NISTUNE?

Or do you want a MAP based tuning system?What are your power goals?

Nistune is like 500 bucks with the ecu chipped and software.

johngriff

The OP already went haltech through us a couple years ago, and his car is uber sick!

imaboa

Go for the Haltech. I've got one in my car, and is hands down better than the AEM for the SR cars.

The map resolution is great, it works well with the Nissan Optical Cam Sensor. Plenty of user definable inputs and outputs.

You need to check out the new Haltech Platinum Boxes. Platinum is LIGHTYEARS ahead of the E8/E11 stuff. Software is very easy to use, and the datalogger is better than sex.

I have alot of experience with the Haltech stuff, and can get you on the right path if you need any help, or have any questions about the software/hardware.

email me, [email protected]

johngriff

imaboa wrote:Go for the Haltech. I've got one in my car, and is hands down better than the AEM for the SR cars.

The map resolution is great, it works well with the Nissan Optical Cam Sensor. Plenty of user definable inputs and outputs.

You need to check out the new Haltech Platinum Boxes. Platinum is LIGHTYEARS ahead of the E8/E11 stuff. Software is very easy to use, and the datalogger is better than sex.

I have alot of experience with the Haltech stuff, and can get you on the right path if you need any help, or have any questions about the software/hardware.

email me, [email protected]
John,

Nice first name!

and....

NICE DYNO! Email me your contact info, and I will start giving my customers referrals to you for tuning! Always looking for dynodynamics in other regions of the country to give referrals to!

John

johngriff

We are having a STUPID CHEAP Black Friday Sale!

Haltech Kits too LOW to post in the forum! Only until tomorrow @ 2pm pst.

visit the Site:http://www.rpsport.net to see pricing!

[email protected]

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”