Canadian Skyline

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
NikaT
Car: Chrysler Sebring

What is the difference with the Skyline that comes from Canada, and the Skyline that come from the US? Why are we allowed to drive them up here? I don't understand!

I was at my Infinity dealer the other day and they told me that the new Infinity G35 is the new model of Skyline...is this true?

Also, do they sell new Skylines anywhere?

Nanaimo
Car: 1989 240SX SE fastback with CAI, CD Player

Wikipedia is your friend

(cross-posting for no reason is frowned upon)

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

The infiniti G35 is badged as the Nissan Skyline in Japan. It is the same car.

As far as older skylines and GTR's, Canada's import and emissions laws are way more lax than what we have to deal with in the states. I think you can pretty much import anything over 15 years old up there, which means 1989-1991 R32 GTR's are eligible.

Nanaimo
Car: 1989 240SX SE fastback with CAI, CD Player

Onizuka wrote:I think you can pretty much import anything over 15 years old up there, which means 1989-1991 R32 GTR's are eligible.
It depends on the province, and in BC, the area of the province. In the lower mainland of BC (Vancouver & fraser valley), once it's imported it has to be emissions tested every year to get insurance.

Outside the lower mainland, once it's imported it has to have a catalytic converter and not smoke enough for a cop to notice (no exhaust inside the passenger cabin though). Any mods are fair game so long as they don't hinder safety or make too much noise.

Importing is Federal jurisdiction and fairly lax (although there's still tax and duty). Registration and operation is Provincial jurisdiction. In BC this means you can bring a car in from out of the province (or country), but before you register it it has to pass a safety inspection (and emissions system test and inspection in the lower mainland). It's illegal to operate an unregistered vehicle on public roads in most provinces.

I think in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba you just have to get a safety inspection.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”