Canadian Infiniti EX 35 owners.. best gas?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
kamiguy
Car: 2008 EX Scarlet silver wheat interior.. all options

Has anyone in Canada found a difference in mileage or performance with the different brands of gas available here? I only use 91 0ctane.

bonzai_can
Car: Infiniti EX35

I do a mix of commuting from Vancouver to Richmond during the week (15km each way in heavy traffic) and weekends in Squamish or Whistler (ie. mountain highway).

I was seeing around 15litres/100km worse case, 13.3 average, and 10 best case (on 90 octane).

The best consumption figures I have got so far have been with 90 octane from the Husky in Whistler (circa 21.5mpg combined) which equates to around 600km per tank according to the computer. That was about 28mpg on the return trip to Whistler, but dropped when I went back to my commute so in city traffic it's definately in the teens. The worst has been with 89 from the Cheepocrappysavagasplace in Richmond. That went down to around 16mpg combined and in the city was around 12 ... pretty awful! I may as well have been using cat pee.

I tried 89 & 91 from other regular (Esso) gas stations and noticed no difference (18mpg combined) other than in what I was paying. I tried 94 for one tank and that seemed to make no noticeable difference either with economy although perhaps a bit more gutsy with acceleration ... still around 18mpg though. I haven't found anywhere that stocks 96 (as recommended in the manual).

So I'll be sticking with 90 when I can get it as gas in Whistler & Squamish is also cheaper than in Vancouver (by about $0.07 per litre). I'll probably alternate between 89 & 90 with the occasional 94 the rest of the time if I fancy giving the engine a treat ;-)

bonzai_can

Incidentally, the salesman I dealt with uses 89 all the time in his 2008 G35 and has never had a problem. I drive some fairly hilly roads and have never had any 'pinking' issues.

kamiguy
Car: 2008 EX Scarlet silver wheat interior.. all options

Thanks for the info. Do you find a difference in what the computer tells you and what your real world mileage is? The computer told me my last average was 15.8 but the actual calculation was 16.6. My car is still new at only about 2k so I expect that to improve. I will try different gas stations to see if I see any difference myself.

bonzai_can

I do think it seems to be slightly on the low side just as you described ... but not by a whole lot. What I do find wierd is that I can be running pratically on fumes with 520km done on that tank and 30km until dry, I fill up (to the brim as I always do), and it tells me I now have 675km on the new tank ... so if the km to empty is not based on the latest average consumption since resetting the computer, then what is it based on and where did I suddenly find another 125km?

On a side note, I've now figured that I can basically go up to Squamish (130km round trip from Vancouver) at the weekend for free as the economy on that trip is so much better than around the city that the km to empty when I return is still about the same as when I left the city. It's like I get these km as a free bonus OK it's not really free but it helps to think of it this way when paying close to $1.50/litre;-)

FYI: my consumption in the 1st 2000km was pretty terrible ... I think the computer read 23litres/100km when I picked it up with only delivery mileage. I've now done 4500km and it does seem to have improved a bit. Also as we get in to fall/winter I'll be using the air con far less so hopefully that will help ... although winter tires & skis on the roof will probably cancel that out.

I am off to Vancouver Island later this month for a vacation so will need to see how it performs on a longer trip with less traffic. Which reminds me ... getting a hitch installed this weekend for a bike rack. Infiniti still don't have one in their parts list (either in Canada or US) but there is one available ... same one as someone already posted on here I believe.

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

bonzai_can wrote:I do think it seems to be slightly on the low side just as you described ... but not by a whole lot. What I do find wierd is that I can be running pratically on fumes with 520km done on that tank and 30km until dry, I fill up (to the brim as I always do), and it tells me I now have 675km on the new tank ... so if the km to empty is not based on the latest average consumption since resetting the computer, then what is it based on and where did I suddenly find another 125km?
The computer calculates the last few minutes of your driving. You can drive like a maniac for 99% of the time but if you drive like granny at the verry end it will tell you you can go 600+ km. I think you drive more light foot when the tank is almost empty. Or maybe you pump gas at the hgw when you het better mpg. Just a thought.

Best I got with my G is 650 km a tank. Pure hwy . City usually 400-450. Had 350 also.

zozo

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

I've been using 87 octane now for about 6 tankfuls and I'm not missing the performance. Since 91 octane is between $0.11 and $0.13 per litre more, I'm saving up to $9 on a fill-up from empty (~ 70 litres).

My mileage has been steadily improving, just as I expected (not because of the lower octane gas, but as the engine wears in).

Having driven turbo-charged cars that require premium for the last 20 or so years, my current plan is to stick with "regular" with the odd "premium" tankful.

Cheers,David

bonzai_can

zozoka1212 wrote:
The computer calculates the last few minutes of your driving. You can drive like a maniac for 99% of the time but if you drive like granny at the verry end it will tell you you can go 600+ km. I think you drive more light foot when the tank is almost empty. Or maybe you pump gas at the hgw when you het better mpg. Just a thought.

Best I got with my G is 650 km a tank. Pure hwy . City usually 400-450. Had 350 also.

zozo
I do tend to fill up in Squamish at the weekend after a more economical drive up the highway so that would make sense.

Until this week I had seen hardly any EX35's around Vancouver ... then 3 this week. There are lots of FX35's, a tone of G35's and soooo many G37's. I test drove all of them ... G37 was as practical as a chocolate tea pot (in terms of where the heck would I put my skis or bike ... or even a bag of groceries pretty much with that shallow trunk) ... although it sounded fantastic and was a hoot to drive. I reckoned I wouldn't have a driving license for long if I bought one With the G35 I just wasn't sold on the looks, although again it was a hoot to drive. What finally swayed me was that I was told you can't get roof bars for the G35 ... bit useles for a keen skier.

Anyways, getting a hitch for bike rack installed tomorrow. Gotta be able to carry my toys

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

I hear someone put the roof rack on the G. Also seen hitch on the G.

I know I would never do that. EX is more of a hauler. You can put lot more things in it. And the performance is there. So whenever you got the itch to floor it. It will put a smile on your face. I know the G does that to me after almost 2 years on daily basis. WOT, WOT. hehehe

Did I say I love Infiniti. LOve my G and EX is the closest to the G so I love it too.

zozo

bonzai_can

Got the hitch installed and very happy with it (even if the particular store that sold / installed it haven't the first clue aboyt good customer service).

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”