Canadian 1st time car buyer

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Gosh

I read most people getting versa sl cvt, tech package for around 21k. The dealer here gave me price of 24k (after all taxes tec). I am in northern ontario so only one nissan dealer, but can i get better deal in toronto area ?

plus the dealer here gave me a ride in sl with all bells and whistles while telling me it was the 1.8S auto with vop so I am wanting to deal with some one else already.

I am a student so i really want to save every penny i can but if i can save 3k by going to toronto i am ready to do so. Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Sahandman
Car: civic

finally a canadian on these forums.

I live in the greater toronto area, just 45 minutes north of downtown toronto in the suburbs and got my versa from Alta Nissan in Richmond HIll which is where i live. I got a black versa SL with CVT and Technology package and total price including tax and freight and everything else came up to 24k. I put 5000 down with an interest rate of 6.8% financing, which gives me a monthly payment of 370 dollars a month. Im still waiting for my versa to arrive, put temporarily driving the dealers car til it arrives. Your price is exactly the same as mine, and we have the same car (prob different color).

Sahandman

btw. the price you got is the same price your gonna get everywhere you go, trust me i called tons of dealerships in toronto before i went to my local one and they all had the same price. btw im a university student too, 3rd year york student so i like you would love to save as much money as possible. Also my first car. btw where in ontario do u live?

Gosh

3 hours north east in sudbury. glad to get a reply. this 24k is the msrp and most posts i have heard talk about never paying that and to get invoice price and start off that. this whole thing is getting mighty confusing, thanks for your info though, atleast i know I am in the normal ball park of what people are paying.

Sahandman

you mean the price of the versa sl with cvt and tech package for u is 24 k not including tax and freight? thats way too much bro. Mine is 24 k with tax and freight. (without tax and freight my versa which is same as yours is 19k). Dude drive to toronto and get your versa from here if your getting your versa for 4 grand more in sudbury. Because your delership is in a town north of toronto, it makes sense that they would charge you a premium to get the versa. however did you ever ask the dealership rep why your car is 24 k without taxes and freight while on the nissan.ca website it list msrp as 19 k for the cvt with tech package.? The msrp for your car is 19k in toronto, i hope you save the 4 grand and come down here and buy one cause 24 k msrp is a rip off, u can get a civic coupe for that price.

Sahandman

Versa SL CVT + Tech package

Sudbudy MSRP: $24,000 NOT NORMAL <<< RIP OFF>>

Toronto MSRP: $19,000 NORMAL PRICE LISTED ON NISSAN.CA WEBSITE

Conclusion: because you live in a remote area of ontario, ur dealership is charging you a premium to get your car.

Solution: Drive down to toronto, heck i can give you my number and i can take you to my dealership and get you the price i got it for.

Gosh

sorry, 24k is after taxes and all. I am just wondering if the msrp is a set in stone lowest price. since car is new and there is a demand for it i get the feeling the dealership won't see the need in haggling with me when they can focus on some one who is ready to pay their price.

i think i need to do a little more research and next visit to dealership come with guns blazing and get some deals or at least perks, think i saw you mention, sand, that you got free oil changes.

going back on monday or tuesday, will post how things went.

Jim2CPU
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

Gosh wrote:sorry, 24k is after taxes and all. I am just wondering if the msrp is a set in stone lowest price.

I bought my Versa SL in Welland, Ontario at $400 CDN below MSRP. Just so you know. The guy offered me 250 off after a little hesitation on my part, and once my wife and I were sure that's the car we wanted to buy... I worked on him more until we got to $400 off.

I also had them waive the installation fee of the bug deflector. Some people have success getting free oil changes and what not as well.

Sahandman

you must be really really lucky to get even 1 dollar taken off the msrp price of the versa sl. Do only way you can get a discount is if you agree to buy the show car which has some kilometers on it. When i was at my nissan dealer buying the car i asked the guy if he can give me a deal or else iw ould consider going to honda or toyota and he flat out said to me " does it look like we have a pile of these cars outside, we can barely keep them on the lot, the price is what it is". 24k total including everything for versa SL with cvt and tech package is best your gonna get, atleast in toronto.

Jim2CPU

Sahandman wrote:you must be really really lucky to get even 1 dollar taken off the msrp price of the versa sl. Do only way you can get a discount is if you agree to buy the show car which has some kilometers on it. When i was at my nissan dealer buying the car i asked the guy if he can give me a deal or else iw ould consider going to honda or toyota and he flat out said to me " does it look like we have a pile of these cars outside, we can barely keep them on the lot, the price is what it is".
Yes, given the demand and the limited supply, dealers generally don't have to discount the cars. My approach is always the same when dealing with car salesmen. Make sure they understand that they shouldn't be trying to sell you just one car. They should be working to satisfy you so you'll come back and buy multiple cars from that dealership over time. They should be working to ensure that you tell your friends and family of the service you received at their dealership so they will also stop by and look at vehicles.

A lot of car salesmen are pretty short-sighted, but if you paint the above picture for them, they'll generally realize that taking a couple of hundred dollars off the sticker price isn't a big deal if he/she has a chance to lock-up a long-term, repeat customer.

Also, don't be afraid to walk-out. If you ask for a couple/few hundred dollars off the sticker price and they say no. Tell them that's what it will take to sell you a car and leave. Chances are you'll either have a voicemail waiting for you when you get home or they'll call you the next day.
Modified by Jim2CPU at 6:33 AM 8/14/2006

Sahandman

funny thing is, i went to the dealer for the first time to get a quote of the versa. it was some asian salesman and after giving me the quote he said he can give me 1 year free oil change. when i came back 3 weeks later to buy the car, it was another salesman who said he couldnt give me anything so i told him about the asian guy and how i would buy the car from him. The asian guy saw me in the guys booth buying the car and called him outside, they started arguing, i guess over commission or who had me as a customer first, anyways it was pretty embarracing how salesmen fight for comission rather than expressing professionalism other dealerships such as bmw, benz, audi etc.

I asked for black and the salesman started to get grumpy, saying that i was too picky and its hard for him to find that exact car being black. I told him im paying alot of money for this car, as a student and iw ant the damn color that i like. So he told me to pay 1000 deposit and give him 3 days to call nissan canada and find the appropriate car and call me back.

Jim2CPU

Sahandman wrote:I asked for black and the salesman started to get grumpy, saying that i was too picky and its hard for him to find that exact car being black.
Holy red flag batman. I would NEVER buy a car from a dealership that employed salesmen like that. I would take my business elsewhere.

When I bought my 2003 Accord, I actually had my heart set on a VW Jetta. The salesman was an arrogant jackass so they didn't get my business.

It blows my mind what certain dealerships think they can get away with.

ilusha55

pay 1000 deposit

isn't a little too much, i had to pay 300$

Jim2CPU

ilusha55 wrote:pay 1000 deposit

isn't a little too much, i had to pay 300$
My dealer also required a $1,000 down payment. I agree that it's excessive.

Gosh

Just got a new quote on versa from a Fleet Manager, this i believe is like an internet sales department, 1.8 sl cvt out the door 21.5k. 1500 less than dealership price. anyone have experience or know exactly what a Fleet deal is ?

ilusha55

Jim2CPU wrote:
My dealer also required a $1,000 down payment. I agree that it's excessive.
are we actually talking about deposit or downpayment.

Jim2CPU

ilusha55 wrote:are we actually talking about deposit or downpayment.
Oh shoot. Total brain fart on my part. A $1,000 deposit on my credit card which will be refunded on delivery.

jallendavis
Car: 1992 Maxima GL, 2005 Pathfinder SE 2x4, 2007 Versa SL (will take delivery in late Sept.)

Gosh wrote:Just got a new quote on versa from a Fleet Manager, this i believe is like an internet sales department, 1.8 sl cvt out the door 21.5k. 1500 less than dealership price. anyone have experience or know exactly what a Fleet deal is ?
I too have been working with a fleet manager. My company has a deal worked out with nissan so that all of our employees can get new cars at dealer invoice. The fleet managers usually work with any such corp. deals as well as internet customers. I don't know what this would work out to for you guys up in canada but my 1.8 SL cvt with conveniance package (I assume this is your tech pac, or something like it) has an MSRP of $16,900 USD and I am paying $15,950 USD before tax and the like. Again this is just from my experiance, but I will go through a fleet manager for any other new car I buy from this day forward! the deal was great and he was one of the best and most profesional salesmen I have ever dealt with

Sahandman

its 1000 deposit, with a 5 thousand down payment, so they just deduct from the down payment making me owe 4,000 on delivery. But you dont have to pay the deposit if they have the car you wont on their lot, because they have to search for my car with my particular color and specification, they require a 1000 dollar down payment and 3 days to find it.

My dealer wasnt really an ***, he was like "im an honest guy and im gonna tell u its hard to find a car with the particular color you want, ur prob gonna have to wait a while before you get it". He was basically trying to pursuade me to give him 2-3 other colors that i want, and i told him its either black or nothing cause im not gonna pay 24 k for a car and not have the color i want, ill wait if i have to.

gr81

jallendavis wrote:
I too have been working with a fleet manager. My company has a deal worked out with nissan so that all of our employees can get new cars at dealer invoice. The fleet managers usually work with any such corp. deals as well as internet customers. I don't know what this would work out to for you guys up in canada but my 1.8 SL cvt with conveniance package (I assume this is your tech pac, or something like it) has an MSRP of $16,900 USD and I am paying $15,950 USD before tax and the like. Again this is just from my experiance, but I will go through a fleet manager for any other new car I buy from this day forward! the deal was great and he was one of the best and most profesional salesmen I have ever dealt with
I have the same partner discount as you, and have my dealer looking out for the what we want (SL CVT w/convienence, in anything but black). I have to say that Nissan has worked the best with us on using the "partner company discount" programs (we have same deal with GM, Honda, Chrysler, and Toyota). My thing is that I am not desperate for a car and wont pay more than I think its worth.

My last 2 vehicles have been purchased thru Fleet departments. I dont know for sure, but my experience is that they have 2 goals (a sale and a happy customer). Now the leetch that sucks onto you as soon as you drive on the lot, well, (again my experience) is they are looking for the BIG sale, and will try talking you into things you dont need or want. We were just browsing around last weekend and had a leetch on us. His schpeel was that he can undercut anyone on any "dealer added" upgrades, but not much he could do to sticker, so to get the best savings, we should consider all the upgrades that make the car apealing to others when we would trade it in.

Gosh

got a blueberry 1.8 SL w/ CVT out the door 21.7k......canadian. local dealer matched the Fleet price and was happy to buy. just a matter of waiting until september. roughly $1300 off original offer saleman made.

big thanks to all the people on this message board for all the input and suggestions, made me feel very comfortable dealing with my first car purchase.

Sahandman

did u get the SL + CVT + Tech package or just the SL + CVT?

Cause my black SL + CVT + Tech package came to about 23k. (including tax and freight)

The Sl + Cvt should come out to 21 K, but if u add the tech package it should be around 23K which is what i got it for.

Gosh

Just got SL + cvt for 21k

tech package would have been an extra 1k and brought price to 22k. nothing really interested me in the tech option. regardless and still happy and now must wait for it to come in.

Sahandman

ok so just having the SL + CVT without tech package should have a final total price of 21k. So in conclusion, u are paying the same price for the car as anywhere else. Here in Toronto the SL + CVT is 21K in total.

The tech package is actually really cool, u get the 2 extra speakers plus subwoofer, 6 disc in dash cd player, bluetooth, steering wheel mounted controls and leather steering wheel for 1000. Thats a good deal i think, u should have gotten it. but like us aid ur a student and want to save money, so its understandable.

Gosh

glad this is same price as toronto, makes me wonder how much profit they are getting here if my car is $1300 less then salesmans first offer.

Return to “Versa General Chat”