Can you reprogram the G35X???

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
pits200

Please bear with me as I pose this question to all the mechanical gurus, it may sound ridiculous.

My girl is the one with the 04 G35X and loves the car overall. But her and I don't prefer the RWD bias in inclement weather until slip is noticed, and therefore we need some more input.

This is were my quandry lies, would it be possible to reprogram the G35X when it is in snow mode. Instead of the car reverting back to 100% RWD bias over 18mph(not exactly sure the speed), would it be possible to reprogram the computer or piggy back it so that the car is atleast a 25/75 split all the time when snow mode is engaged, or just something better than the 0/100 split until slip is noticed.

Remember now, I am not familiar with the mechanics of AWD. What would limit someone from doing this, does the problem lie in programming the cars computer or do the mechanics of the awd system limit this from being possible.

I think I read that the new G35X is actually a 25/75 split in snow mode despite the speed.(Even over 18mph)

Thanks for the help and I look forward to all responses.

pits200

Come on, anyone???

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

Hey,

I suggest to sit on it for a day or two and most likely someone will help you out with this question. I don't know if this is possible or not. It would be interesting for sure.

Zozoka

pits200

I figured, but unfortunately with these sites, it seems that the longer a thread goes without being responded to it just ends up fading off into existence.

The AWD in bad weather is the only flaw that I see in Nissans system. I would love to get some more input on this.

pits200

Like this, but not exactly. Its the closest thing I can find to an example.

http://www.namotorsports.net/d...EX.01

zozoka1212

man that is a good found. Maybe you should email them if they can do it for infiniti.

Zozoka

pits200

Ya, I thought it wasn't a bad find either, but the consensus is that most people think the X is great in the snow already.

Maybe I am in the minority here or many people just don't like admitting that their car is not up to par in certain aspects. But many reviewers say that Infiniti's AWD system is towards the back of the pack in terms of AWD performance in bad weather. Unfortunately, I must agree with what the reviewers are saying.

Not getting much love though,,, I guess..

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Wayyyy ou t of my league and limited expertise...

Post here zeroforum?id=24

If no response...then post here zeroforum?id=88

They get really techy in there...proceed with caution...lol

Then let us know in here! LMAO

Good luck!

zozoka1212

To be honest I had no problem thru this winter. I've got my G35x in november so basicaly I used it all winter. No problems. But To gain more control on the car is always good.

Zozoka

Triton3.5
Car: 07 G 35 X

I think the Haldex unit is for cars that are more of a Front wheel drive bias.. Ford and Volvo use this also i think on the S-40 Turbos... I have NOT driven my 07 G35 X yet in snow or on ice.. but that is one of the main reasons i bought the car..> For RWD bias. until you need more< In fact, I would actually like to have my vehicle with a switch of some sort so the AWD system ( ATTESTA system) would NOT engage so i could play around with it like the olded days :-) and keep the system from engaging, like say a Ford expedition or F-150.. shift on the fly!! other wise if our system was like a subaru or most Audi's A4, A6 A8's that have planetary center diffs. to transmit power, usually 50/50, they can be taken out and reworked for a diff bias... at least in Audi's..... the only Cockpit adustable diffs. are in Subaru's STI and i think Mitsu evo's 7, 8 and 9's

pits200

Your right, an AWD controller is made to typically change the bias more to RWD and not what I am looking for. My gfs accident happened in this past winter and I have done alot of research by way of talking to numerous Nissan/Infiniti techs and they agree that the system works very well in the snow from 0-40mph because the reaction time of the system is so fast and slipping can be accounted in a reasonable amount of time. I completely agree and I know the system is superb at these speeds.

But after 40mph, the reaction time and slippage is sooo fast that the X does have problems performing like a true AWD car over 40mph because the car can not transfer power to the front wheels fast enough before fishtailing occurs.

Its commonsense if you think about the logic. And no one get your tailfeathers in a ruffle. I know that you should get dedicated snow tires and etc..

I am only wondering why they didnt change the bias when the car is in SNOW MODE to a more reasonable split.

Is this not understandable for more safety.

pits200

I am just curious how many people thought that the snow mode feature locked the car into some kind of 25/75 split at all speeds. Because when I was talking to an Infiniti salesman, they tell you that this is the feature of the snow mode. But they neglect to tell you that over a certain speed the lock does not come into play anymore.

As for you talking bout having more freedom with the AWD, go and pull the AWD fuse when there is nice weather and you have yourself a rwd car.

Triton3.5
Car: 07 G 35 X

pits200 wrote:I am just curious how many people thought that the snow mode feature locked the car into some kind of 25/75 split at all speeds. Because when I was talking to an Infiniti salesman, they tell you that this is the feature of the snow mode. But they neglect to tell you that over a certain speed the lock does not come into play anymore.

As for you talking bout having more freedom with the AWD, go and pull the AWD fuse when there is nice weather and you have yourself a rwd car.
Hmmm. i tryed that pulling a big long fuse, and all it did was cancel ABS, the AWD system worked normal at least in an 07... unless i pulled the wrong one there is no way it could be that easy....

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”