Can you repair a glazed Spec clutch?

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
dhen
Car: MGA w/ CA18DET

Hi everyone,

A while back I glazed over a good Spec clutch because I had my clutch pedal adjusted wrong and was slowly riding the clutch all the time. (You live and learn.) The clutch surface is as smooth as glass now.

This clutch has a lot of meat on it, but is glazed over. Can it be saved? I was thinking about sanding it down a little to remove the glazing. Would this work?

I don't like to take shortcuts but if something can be fixed with a little elbow grease I'm all for it.

Here are some pictures.

Thanks,

Darian

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I've never heard of that, but I think a call to SPEC would be the best route and then post up what they said.

Buddyworm

Check your flywheel and pressure plate surfaces for signs of overheating and cracking, all that slippage might have put a lot of heat into those parts.

If those check out I say toss er back on there and go beat on it. Maybe a few launches and some tire smoking, see if it'll hold.

dhen

I emailed Spec last night and they got back to me right away in the morning. This is what they said:
Really depends on what stage clutch it is. Stage 2 (Kevlar) is pretty much done if you glazed it. If the clutch has wear, you might not want to sand it down much, but if it still looks okay, and is sufficient thickness, then you might be fine just taking off the surface with a scotchbrite pad or something similar.

Do you have a part number or particular stage and application? Worst case, we could put new clutch facing on there if you send it in… not terribly expensive.
That's pretty cool if them, I think. Anyway, I'm posting this hear in case anyone else searches for this.

Thanks,

Darian
Last edited by dhen on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhen

Yeah, I had my cluch pedal too tight so I was slightly riding the clutch on the time. Dumb, expensive move.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”