Can you identify this engine for me?

Since so many NICOclub staffers and members own a Miata, here's a spot to discuss the car Nissan wishes it had built!
Arrow
Car: 1990 240SX SE - SOLD
2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - SOLD
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - corner carver
1998 Pathfinder

Hello everyone!

I am in the process of sourcing a used engine to replace the seized engine in my '99 10AE (that I just bought knowing the engine was bad). I have come across this possibly promising jdm engine & (supposedly) 6 speed transmission motorset:

From what I can tell it is in fact a BP 1.8L engine that should be compatible with the factory wiring harness on my '99. I realize that I might need to swap the intake and exhaust manifolds in order to make it comply with emissions, but right now, I'm just wanting to get a good running engine in the car so that I can start driving it. My concern is that if you look closely to the grease pen markings on the valve cover, it looks like they labeled it as a "B6" engine. From what I can tell, it obviously isn't one...

I am currently trying to track down further information about the compression test videos that the importer sent me. Compression came in at #1-170, #2-215, #3-230, #4-205. So from what I see cylinder #1 is down 26% from cylinder #3 which to me is concerning as usually you don't want more than a 10% variance across all cylinders. Also 230 seems a bit high. The importer said that all cylinders were over 200 and that the video got clipped short - still waiting to see the full video (but I don't think it was clipped). My guess is that a wet compression test would likely bring #1 right up to the range of the other 3. Also this engine is stone cold and probably has been sitting somewhere for who knows how long which might also account for some lower than expected readings...

Here is a link to some additional pictures of the engine & transmission:
http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0

Please give me some feedback as soon as you're able!

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

I can't tell you exactly what engine that is (not too well versed in the 4-bangers) but I will say that you should be weary of this engine as JDM engines are a crap shoot to begin with and if the compression on all of them is 200+ tell him you need proof! The standard tolerance for all internal combustion gasoline engines is 10%, if you have more than a 10% difference between your highest and lowest compression numbers you should walk away. GL

Arrow
Car: 1990 240SX SE - SOLD
2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - SOLD
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - corner carver
1998 Pathfinder

Well, I got videos of all of the cylinders being compression tested. #1 was low on the first test but above 205 on the second compression test. There was also enough video context gor me to knoe it was of the engine I wanted to buy as well. Factory compression spec is 209psi so I think this engine should be decently good, so I went ahead with purchasing it. Shipping was extremely quick - I got it the day after I ordered from about 400 miles away. Next thing that I will be doing is testing the compression myself to verify their numbers.

Anyone have advice for turning over the starter using jumper cables? Should I connect the positive to the positive cable & just ground to the engine (the ground wire isn't accessible at the starter)?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Compression checks should be done when the engine is warm anyway.
I've jumped a starter out before, but I cant remember exactly how I did it.

The engine looks like an NB, pre VVT engine (so yeah, 99, 00).

Return to “Miata Madness”