Can't get tie rod off, any ideas?

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
beastlikethat1
Car: Current: 1978 Datsun 280z

SOLD *1980 MGB*

So I did something stupid lol. At the time I didn't know what I was doing and I cut the rod on both sides of the knuckle. Any suggestions, and I've already tried alot. Hammering the h$)* out of the knuckle, oil, heat even cutting some of it and trying to drill it out. Any ideas that I haven't tried?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

So you cut the tapered part that goes through the steering arm off at top and bottom so that you have an immovable wedge still plugging the hole in the steering arm? The steering arm is a separate part on the S30 that can be removed and replaced separately. If you can't locate a replacement and really want to pop that one out I'd take that arm off and take it to a machine shop, chances are they can press the slug out in a matter of minutes, worst case they can mill a new taper hole but that would likely cost more than a replacement steering arm.

beastlikethat1
Car: Current: 1978 Datsun 280z

SOLD *1980 MGB*

Update: I ended up drilling it out myself and then cutting where it connects to the inner tie rod off with a dremel xD. Talk about alot of work, just glad I got the new ones on, thanks for the help!

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”