Can't get into programming mode for keyless fob

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
jaceofdiamond
Car: 2002 Infiniti Qx4

2002 Qx4

Hi all. Hoping someone can help me to get into the programming mode for a keyless fob.

I am using the standard steps of:

1) closing all doors & windows
2) lock doors using driver side lock button
3) fully insert and remove key for 6-8 times (within 10 sec) until hazard lights blink....

I have not been able to get past this point. I don't see anything happening, no lights flashing. Local A1 locksmith was not able to get past this point either.

Is there a way to "reset" or any fuses to check or anything else I can do to get me into this programming mode?

Appreciate any help you all can provide!!! Thanks!!!

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

What is the model of your key fob? You can find it on the backside of the device.

jaceofdiamond

The model is correct. I confirmed that. But the problem is before that point. I can't get my car into the programming mode.

zach7685
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4
2001.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2003-Subaru Baja
1989 Nissan Maxima
2003 GMC Savanna
2002 Mini Cooper S
1968 Mercedes 230-Sold
2005 VW beetle Convertible
2001.1 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

jaceofdiamond wrote:The model is correct. I confirmed that. But the problem is before that point. I can't get my car into the programming mode.
Please answer the question. There are some very subtle difference in model number that are critical. And an FCC number
match isn't sufficient. The FCC number applies to the radio circuit, and the digital side can be different.

Chuck

jaceofdiamond

I'm not sure if the model of the fob really matters at this time because I can't get into the programming mode. The lights did not flash after 6-7-8 times of inserting and removing the key. I need to be in this mode first before even getting to the "press a button on the fob."

<sigh>

nonetheless, here is what you asked for:

FCC ID: KBRASTU15
MODEL NO: ASTU15
CANADA 2111104208

I appreciate you all trying to help. Just frustrated cause it does not look like anyone has ran into this issue so no solution has been found yet.

zach7685
2003-Subaru Baja
1989 Nissan Maxima
2003 GMC Savanna
2002 Mini Cooper S
1968 Mercedes 230-Sold

did you check my video? have you checked the fuses? was it ever working?

jaceofdiamond

Zach, yes i did watch the video, but if you read my original post and my second response, it tells you specifically that I was not able to get into programming mode. the hazard lights (turn signals) did not flash.

What fuses are you referring to? I looked at the fuses inside the cabin as well as both boxes under the hood. The only thing I saw was a large designation for "Keyless", but it's just an empty slot, no wiring to it.....BUT before you think it has never worked, that is incorrect. If it never worked, I would think that is valuable info to know to fully diagnose the situation. The remote I had was working fine.

I just don't carry my remote w/ my keys because I leave the car key in the car and lock w/ the remote and just carry the remote. It's less bulky that way....but unfortunately it gets easily misplaced.

I took it to the dealer, and they say it might be ECM(?) or BCM(?) ....they said it would cost anything from $500-$1000....at which I say heck no. :frown:

zach7685
2003-Subaru Baja
1989 Nissan Maxima
2003 GMC Savanna
2002 Mini Cooper S
1968 Mercedes 230-Sold

:slap: Look I know your frustrated But watch your implied tone please. I'm trying to help you.
but if you read my original post and my second response, it tells you specifically that I was not able to get into programming mode. the hazard lights (turn signals) did not flash.
I did read both posts. I wanted clarification that you knew the correct timing and stuff.
I need to be in this mode first before even getting to the "press a button on the fob."

<sigh>

nonetheless, here is what you asked for:
BUT before you think it has never worked, that is incorrect. If it never worked, I would think that is valuable info to know to fully diagnose the situation.
You would think.....

:tisk: ....My next question would have been What happened prior to it not working.

Maybe im being hypercritical ;)

jaceofdiamond

You're tight. I was being a little ebrasive. My apologies.

Nothing happened that I know of.

I lost my last remote about a month ago. At the time, it was working fine. When I use it, it locks and arms the car alarm or unlocks as it is suppose to. About two weeks ago, I replaced my battery. Afterwhich I go tired of not having a remote, so I went to local locksmith for a new remote.

They would have charged me $99, but they couldn't program the new fob for the same reason of not being able to get into programming mode. I then ordered a fob online hoping i could do it myself or at least spend time trying to troubleshoot it. Unfortunately, I ran into the same problem.

I just saw a post from someone having the same issue on their pathfinder. I think in that one, you mentioned keep trying until it goes into programming mode. I tried that today, inserting & removing key for nearly 25times straight, and no hazard lights flashing.

Still stuck at this point. :cry:

zach7685
2003-Subaru Baja
1989 Nissan Maxima
2003 GMC Savanna
2002 Mini Cooper S
1968 Mercedes 230-Sold

Its cool lets see i assume the power locks work without key in ignition? Oh Check door sensors and check hood while you're at it. it could well be the hood sensor because i think it checks the position of the hood but dosent activate any light. Check and see if the alarm arms with the key in the door.

jaceofdiamond

I'm not following you. Check for what on door/hood/etc? That it's closed tightly?

Also w/ alarm arming by using key in the door? Can't honestly say that i've ever done that, but i'll try and let u know....at work right now.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

There are door switches for the four doors and the hood. They are small switches covered by black rubber. Ensure they are intact.

zach7685
2003-Subaru Baja
1989 Nissan Maxima
2003 GMC Savanna
2002 Mini Cooper S
1968 Mercedes 230-Sold

When you lock the car with the key in the door the security light should stay steady on for 30 seconds then flash.

jaceofdiamond

The door switches are intact, and everything is good from that standpoint.

As for locking the door w/ the key, I can do that and it will lock all doors, but the security light blinks as usual. It did not stay lit for any amount of time.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

When I had busted door switches, the only way I could arm the alarm was locking via key fob. Even if I locked the doors with the button on one of the front doors, it would never arm because the SECU thought the doors were still open. Locking via the key fob seems to arm the alarm no matter what.

Test the door switches by pressing them in manually and seeing if the dome lights come on (set them both to the middle "DOOR" setting). You can test all of the switches like this (for the back door you'll just need to open and close it to see if the light turns off). I'm at a loss on how you'd test the hood switch without being able to arm the alarm, though. If all doors are closed and locked but the hood is open, my security light just flashes until I close the hood, then it turns solid indicating that it's arming.

zach7685
2003-Subaru Baja
1989 Nissan Maxima
2003 GMC Savanna
2002 Mini Cooper S
1968 Mercedes 230-Sold

Still sounds like the hood to me

MaxHitZ
Car: 2003 Pathfinder

Gday, i have a 2001 pathy, having the same issues as the OP, i cant get any lights to flash either. jaceofdiamond!! did you get it sorted??

NismoPick
Car: 97 Infiniti QX4
00 BMW 528i E39
94 Geo Metro
87 Toyota Pickup
81 Datsun 280ZXT

MaxHitZ wrote:Gday, i have a 2001 pathy, having the same issues as the OP, i cant get any lights to flash either. jaceofdiamond!! did you get it sorted??
Does your security light still flash when all doors are closed? (it shouldn't)

Tripped / dead door pin is the usual cause of it not going into program mode.

MaxHitZ
Car: 2003 Pathfinder

I bought this car about a week ago, had no remote.. Like the op, just trying to get into programming mode in the first instance. Ive not seen any security lights flash at all

All doors when opened individually activate the interior light, so i guess the door pins appear to be fine.

Steel1333
Car: 2004 Nissan Titan

I had the same problem. I locked the doors, tried the key 6 times, nothing. Then I got out, got back in, locked the door, put the key in and out of the ignition pretty fast and on about the 15th try, the hazard lights came on and I programmed my remotes. Don't know if this works for you, but I just kept trying until it worked. I already had remotes that had broken and ordered two from Ebay. So it seems it takes more than 6 times. Good luck!

zach7685
2003-Subaru Baja
1989 Nissan Maxima
2003 GMC Savanna
2002 Mini Cooper S
1968 Mercedes 230-Sold

NismoPick wrote:
MaxHitZ wrote:Gday, i have a 2001 pathy, having the same issues as the OP, i cant get any lights to flash either. jaceofdiamond!! did you get it sorted??
Does your security light still flash when all doors are closed? (it shouldn't)

Tripped / dead door pin is the usual cause of it not going into program mode.
Actually the security light should always flash. Armed or not.

BarryN
Car: 2011 Altima SR
2002 Pathfinder LE

I know this is an old thread but I just bought an 02 pathy after scrapping my 96 and I was having the same issue with the new fobs on the 02. After reading this topic just now I decided to give it a try again. Come to find out, my issue was that I was being a little too hasty with the insertion and removing of the key in the ignition. Doing it deliberately and make sure to go all the way in and then all the way out 6 times and the hazards will flash as they're supposed to. I did it 3x in a row successfully without a hiccup.

In the instructions I received it only said to insert/remove 6x within 10sec. So I took that as I should do it as fast as possible. That isn't how it works. Just take your time when inserting and removing the key after locking the door and I am sure the success rate will rise on this issue.

Alberto1991
Car: 2006 nissan xterra

Have you found the problem i might have the solution?

Moz

I had the "No Flash" problem. After many, many tries, changing the timing, disbelieving what I had read, and myself of course, sleeping on it and after a really good cup of hot tea...

Eureka!

I recall disconnecting the door chime. This is the chime which activates when the key is in the ignition and the door is open. In other words, this is the signal wire from the ignition key which activates the programming system. Reconnected the wire. Repeated the previous instructions.

Done.

FYI - this is a tiny connector running parallel to the larger connector under the dash alongside the ignition key mechanism.

Hamza321
Car: 2004 Nissan Maxima

Hello all the wonderful people. I also have a 2004 maxima that I'm trying to program a remote to. My problem is when I insert the key into ignition the 6th time the doors unlock instead of hazard flash. It happens every single time. Last time I bought the remote from an asian locksmith who programmed it for me. I remember the car did the same to him but he still managed to program the remote. But he charges big dollars. So I thought I'll give it a try but so far all in vain. I've also tried everything that has been mentioned in all the threads. Mine is different in the sense that I do get a response but it's not hazards rather doors unlocking. Any help would be much appreciated.

cambabs
Car: 2005 Nissan Maxima

Hamza321 wrote:Hello all the wonderful people. I also have a 2004 maxima that I'm trying to program a remote to. My problem is when I insert the key into ignition the 6th time the doors unlock instead of hazard flash. It happens every single time. Last time I bought the remote from an asian locksmith who programmed it for me. I remember the car did the same to him but he still managed to program the remote. But he charges big dollars. So I thought I'll give it a try but so far all in vain. I've also tried everything that has been mentioned in all the threads. Mine is different in the sense that I do get a response but it's not hazards rather doors unlocking. Any help would be much appreciated.
I'm also getting the same issue as Hamza321. Hamza, is your car also AU delivered?

Hamza321

I'm also getting the same issue as Hamza321. Hamza, is your car also AU delivered?[/quote]Yes mate. Mine is AU as well. And I've tried it on my friend's Tiida. It did the same

cambabs
Car: 2005 Nissan Maxima

Hamza321 wrote:I'm also getting the same issue as Hamza321. Hamza, is your car also AU delivered?
Yes mate. Mine is AU as well. And I've tried it on my friend's Tiida. It did the same[/quote]
Hi Hamza321

I can't post a link but I can tell you where to find an instruction"
  • Go to Independent Locksmiths dot com dot au
    Click through to REMOTES > CAR REMOTES > NISSAN REMOTES > NISSAN PATHFINDER, X-TRAIL, 350
    Download the user guide on this page
    Go to page 2
Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I have not been able to get it to work.

Thanks
Rob

Hamza321

cambabs wrote:
Hamza321 wrote:I'm also getting the same issue as Hamza321. Hamza, is your car also AU delivered?
Yes mate. Mine is AU as well. And I've tried it on my friend's Tiida. It did the same
Hi Hamza321

I can't post a link but I can tell you where to find an instruction"
  • Go to Independent Locksmiths dot com dot au
    Click through to REMOTES > CAR REMOTES > NISSAN REMOTES > NISSAN PATHFINDER, X-TRAIL, 350
    Download the user guide on this page
    Go to page 2
Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I have not been able to get it to work.

Thanks
Rob[/quote]
G'day Rob.
Thanks very much for your post mate. It sure is a big help as I won't be looking for the hazard flash anymore. It hasn't worked for me yet. Instructions suggest that once car goes into programming mode, the old remotes get wiped from the memory. My old remote still works after the procedure so I'm guessing that car is not going into programming mode. But, surely, I've noticed some change in car's behavior. I'll update if it works. Cheers

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”