can't enter programming mode - '99 Sentra

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
lvincent
Car: '99 Sentra GXE

Hello!

I am trying to program new remotes for My ’99 Sentra. I have read and tried the usual procedure, but my car won’t enter programming mode. I tried inserting the key 6 times, more than 6 times, fast, slow, deep, same result: nothing happens, no hazard lights flashing twice :cry: .

A common issue that users reported is that the car thinks the hood or the trunk is open. I have the feeling this could be the root cause here too, but I don't know whether it applies to my old Sentra :gotme .

Here is a bit more information about my car's unusual behavior :crazy: :
- I had a remote before, and it was working fine (locking/unlocking & alarm), except that the car would not flash hazard lights to confirm locking/unlocking (seems more than a coincidence with my main issue).
- if the car is under alarm, the alarm would not set off if I open the trunk, but would start when I close it :facepalm:
- the Sentra user manual reports that it is possible to unlock all doors (and not only the driver's door) by turning the key twice in the lock. Doesn't work on my car.
- I noticed that the switch on the trunk latch is not plugged to anything (bc the plastic plug/connector is broken). Since the switch opens when the trunk lid is closed, I don't think it matters, but who knows :gotme Also, the trunk light doesn't turn on (the bulb is fine).
- the door chime works normally.

Any suggestion ?

If would also appreciate any feedback on what is the car "normal behavior"

Thank you! :wavey:

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Welcome to NICO Club!

I've seen your post and am not sure what to say. I kind of hoped someone who does know would have responded, but it is a new thread so maybe in a few more days, someone in the know will reply. Basically, I don't know the answers to any of your questions. But! If your alarm and remote stuff is all factory, then I'm certain the solutions to any issues and the explanation of working features will be in the Factory Service Manual (FSM).

Please take a look at our copy of the FSM chapters at the link below. Each link on that page is to a chapter of the FSM. If you look at the FWD chapter, you'll find a table of contents. I think for the locks and lights you'll be looking at the EL chapter:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Sentra/1999_Sentra_GA/

lvincent
Car: '99 Sentra GXE

Thanks for your reply!

I believe everything is factory, but I am not absolutely sure either (the remote I had, for instance, was different than the one in the user manual).
In any case, the FSM looks like a good place to start :dblthumb:

Yes, hopefully a 95-99 Sentra owner will stop by and help .

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”