Can someone explain Pontiac for me?

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
StockTurbosFTW
Car: 95 300ZX TT
99 Infiniti G20
03 Kia Sedona

Can someone explain Pontiac for me?

Postby StockTurbosFTW » Sun May 04, 2014 9:47 am

I am getting really irritated with something. According to wikipedia, Pontiac no longer exists or makes cars...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac

I Google 2013 Pontiac Vibe, and apparently you can buy a 2013 Pontiac Vibe. Wikipedia says they stopped production in 2010.

When I Google 2013 Pontiac models, I get results...

A buddy of mine works on Pontiacs and I made a comment about them no longer existing. He looked at me like I was stupid and assured me they were still coming out with new vehicles. If you ask online people call you an idiot and say the last Pontiac was made in 2010.

What the hell is going on...can someone explain this to me...

Rogue One
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Re: Can someone explain Pontiac for me?

Postby Rogue One » Sun May 04, 2014 10:43 am

The Pontiac brand is kaput. Anyone who says otherwise is blowing smoke up your skirt. Yes GM still maintains a website for the brand (they still own the rights to the brand), but you cannot buy a 2013 Pontiac. Here is the current lineup, on GM's website:
Pontiac (from Wikipedia)
Pontiac was an automobile brand established in 1926 as a companion make for General Motors' Oakland... On April 27, 2009, amid ongoing financial problems and restructuring efforts, GM announced it would discontinue the Pontiac brand by the end of 2010 and focus on four core brands in North America: Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac and GMC. The last Pontiacs were built in early 2010, with the final dealer franchises expiring October 31, 2010.

The Pontiac brand was pulled after the 2009 model year in Mexico and the brand was renamed Matiz, selling only one vehicle, the Matiz G2 (Matiz's logo is similar to Pontiac's).

The last Pontiac, a 2010 G6, was built in early 2010 when GM restarted the Orion Assembly Line to manufacture one final 2010 Pontiac G6, after the earlier G6 line at Orion and the Wave/G3 line in San Luis Potosi were shut down in November and December, 2009 respectively. This was most likely done purposely so GM could show that the final Pontiac ever manufactured (and the only one ever manufactured in 2010) was at an American plant.

Pontiac became the second brand General Motors has eliminated in six years. Oldsmobile met the same fate in 2004 after being more slowly phased out over four years. Pontiac also became the ninth North American automobile brand since 1987 to be phased out, after Merkur, Passport, Asüna, Geo, Plymouth, American Motors (AMC) (renamed Eagle in 1988, only to be phased out a decade later), and Oldsmobile.

StockTurbosFTW
Car: 95 300ZX TT
99 Infiniti G20
03 Kia Sedona

Postby StockTurbosFTW » Sun May 04, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks, I assumed Wikipedia was correct and I did check out the website. It directs you to GM. I am not sure why there are so many hits on Google for like 2013 Pontiacs and stuff. So much misinformation on this topic...

Ferrisfan
Car: 2014 Rogue SL FWD w/ Premium Package

Postby Ferrisfan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:22 am

I would assume that since the Vibe was basically the same car as the Toyota Matrix, and they still make the Matrix, that there is some algorithm that was set up to point searches for one to the other.

Return to “Others”