can i turbo my sentra?

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
tipota
Car: 1990 240sx

i was just wondering if it would be possible to turbo my sentra. i DO NOT have the SER, but a 94 LE. what is the difference between the two models? can you mod an LE into an SER? or cna you jsut turbo the LE's engine? ive never heard of anyone touching an LE so i dont know if its possible or worth it at all.

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

LE has the GA16DE engine - edit: LE is not listed as a '94 model... you mean Limited (that may be badged as LE)? As long as it's not an SE-R though, it's still gonna have a GASE-R has the SR20DE engine

Therefore, to make an LE an SE-R clone, you'd need an SR. I'm sure there is a turbo kit for the GA, if you're willing to look. Personally I'd swap. You have a LOT of swap options, including a factory-turboed SR. It's your call. A GA16DET would be unique and definitely even more lightweight, but I don't think you could get the same power. The SR is an extremely robust engine, the GA is even more focused on fuel economy, and I'm not sure how well it'd hold up to boost.

tipota

i was thinking of designing my own kit. tell me if m wrong, but i figure that all you need is a custom exhaust and intake manifold to get the turbo to fit. this can be made from strong enough piping welded together. i have a friend who welds so he can do it for me. i can get exhaust and intake manifolds form the junkyard to mod myself, and build the piping myself to connect it to the turbo. the only parts of the turbo kti that im unsure of are teh blow off valve and wastegate. what do these do? i dont plan on boosting past 3 psi. im onyl doign this cuz my friend is giving me a turbo form his talon and i figure piping wont cost that much so i can do this all cheaply.

OneFastStanza
Car: '02 SE-R Spec V, '92 Stanza, '97 Maxima, '04 Vue Redline. '04 F250

Well there is a little bit more than just a turbo manifold and tubing to do for a turbo setup. You also need to run more fuel and take care of other things as well. I am not going to get into all of it but basically if you are not familiar with fabbing up turbo systems or not that familiar with turbos for that matter then I would let someone else do the work.

tipota

wouldnt a better ECU and bigger injectors do the trick? i didnt consider this before though, and now its getting to be a lot more than i thought

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

You'd have to have an ECU tuned exactly for that turbo on that engine, so you'd have to have a completely custom one in this case.

It's a beast to do it yourself. I'd suggest you find a kit online.

Here's an example, though I know nothing about Turbo Specialties- http://www.prostreetonline.com..._kits/

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

First off you can make any B13 chasis a SE-R. Here's a list of parts you need for this to work:

SR20DE ($400)SE-R/nx2k tranny ($300-400)SE-R/NX2k axles ($60 ea)SE-R wiring harness ($100)SE-R cross member ($100)SE-R/nx2k ECU ($50)SE-R motor mounts($100)SE-R/nx2k gauge cluster($50)$1320(estimation) easily to make your car into a SE-R.

Now by the time you gather all those parts, you might as well sell your car and go buy an se-r for that price. Just crazy trying to piece all those parts together. But if thats what you wanna do, good luck. I know I could make it work, but if you have never worked on your car in depth, leave the task alone. It could become your worse nightmare.

Now those prices are just to get the car to se-r bone stock shape. If you wanted to turbo the DE, add another $2-3k on top of that price, if you go the cheap route.

nissanforlife
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37X

i would pretty much leave a 94 Lim Ed. as is.. only thing i'd do to it would be headers and exhaust.. then suspension and wheels/tires...

the 94 did have the GA16DE .. however.. it was not tuned the same as the regular models...it was upped to about 140 hp.. (although not quite as much torque as the SR20)

if u wanna build a racer .. easier to get an se-r.. wanna be about 150-ish hp (no.. not to the wheel..lol) fix exhaust.. a JWT chip won't do much on a 94 LE sentra..

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

nissanforlife wrote:i would pretty much leave a 94 Lim Ed. as is.. only thing i'd do to it would be headers and exhaust.. then suspension and wheels/tires...

the 94 did have the GA16DE .. however.. it was not tuned the same as the regular models...it was upped to about 140 hp.. (although not quite as much torque as the SR20)

if u wanna build a racer .. easier to get an se-r.. wanna be about 150-ish hp (no.. not to the wheel..lol) fix exhaust.. a JWT chip won't do much on a 94 LE sentra..
The SR20DE is rated at 140 HP. ALL GA16DE's were rated at 115 HP.

The LE is not an available trim level. You most likely have an XE or GXE that says "Limited Edition" on the side. This is nothing more than a few added options, like power windows.

But like already mentioned, if it's not an SE-R, then it has the GA16DE engine. Hotshot Performance sells GA16DE turbo kits. You can check out some of our sponsors to order one. I'm sure more than one of our sponsors can get Hotshot parts. Also, you can order direct from Hotshot as well. Their website is http://www.hotshot.com. List price on the turbo kit for your car shows $4200.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”