Can I turbo a daily driver?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
jtsarnak

Hey guys, I just purchased a '95 240SX and all the threads I read about turboing this engine involve stories of people having to regularly go under the hood to keep things running.

Is it possible to run just 4-5 pounds of boost and leave it alone without having to worry about it? I ask because this will be my daily commuter, not a race car or drag car. So I'd like some extra oomph for some spirited driving (~190-200 rwhp) but I don't need anything more than that.

So are the kits that are available for this car well made and reliable? For example, if I have the kit installed properly the first time, have it set to run a low boost level can I just close the hood and not worrry about it all the time?

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

For only 4-5 psi you can get a bolt on kit and your car should run forever. Assuming you change the oil every 2500 miles and change the filter twice as often. You might need your plugs replaced a bit more often then usual but thats about it.

WD

flip240

If you really want reliability, aside from frequent oil changes (i dunno about the oil filter, there isn't anything extra that needs filtering out), get a turbo with a coolant jacket, this will prolong the life of your engine and turbo significantly.

WDRacing

flip240 wrote:If you really want reliability, aside from frequent oil changes (i dunno about the oil filter, there isn't anything extra that needs filtering out), get a turbo with a coolant jacket, this will prolong the life of your engine and turbo significantly.

The higher heat from the turbine heats the oil up more so then with a NA engine. Causing the oil to brake down at a faster rate. At under 5 bucks you can't afford not to have extra filtration.

I have always done a filter with every oil change as well as one at the midway point. I got the idea from a Japanese guy who retired from Veilside. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't give me any bad advice.

Having a turbo that is oil lubed and water cooled is a good option as far as turbo life goes.

WD

jtsarnak

Ok, so if it's perfectly fine to do what you suggest (and thanks again for the advice), do you have any recommendations for a good kit that will supply the minimal amount of boost that I'd like at a relatively good price?

Also, what kind of gains would I see at 4-5psi?

flip240

Er.. I meant I personally didn't see the need to change the filter twice as often, but if I were NOT me, I'd do it your way, better safe than sorry. I'll probobly do that when I finish my own KAT project.

If you are going for the lowest price kit, $3700 if you shop around for a F-max (or is it N-sport?). Otherwise, try talking to reputable turbo shops in your area. What I think is THE part to research is a good manifold.

WDRacing

The average gain is 10hp per psi of boost. So the key for you would be to get a small turbine that will spool extremely fast. Since your not worried about more boost. That way you have boost on tap for the majority of rpm band.

WD

WDRacing

Any decent exhaust manifold will do the trick, as far as a turbo goes I would suggest the GT2510BB. Or maybe a T28.

WD

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”