can i throw an LSD on my hardbody

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
scubasteve

I am picking up an '87 hardbody kingcab v6 with a 5spd tomorrow

However, i dont know if this model has an LSD in it, if not how can i get one? Anything fit from other models

kc4x4
Car: nissan frontier

You can get one at http://www.4x4parts.com

MeanGreenS13
Car: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

from what ive been told... mazda b series trucks have 4.11 posi rear end from the factory... not 100% sure on it tho, but it shouldnt be hard to install

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

scubasteve wrote:I am picking up an '87 hardbody kingcab v6 with a 5spd tomorrow

However, i dont know if this model has an LSD in it, if not how can i get one? Anything fit from other models
Welcome to the Trucks Forum SS.

Is this a 4x4 or 2WD?

Most pre 90's Hardbodies do not have an LSD in them.

You have a few options:

1. Contact Jane at Automotive Customizers in Florida (www.4x4parts.com) I have dealt with her for years and she can help you out with your needs for an LSD. OR you could try an ARB Air Locker system which is a straight forward install for an open differential. You could also try a LockRight Locker but they can be a bit noisy when you are making tight turns in parking lots.

2. Another option is to salvage a 3rd member from a 90's Pathfinder that has the 3.0 liter under the hood. Most of the 90's Pathfinders had LSD's as standard equipment. You would have to confirm axle spline counts as well because you may need the Pathfinder's axles for this swap. The rear differentials are leafs on the Hardbodies but Springs and bars on the Pathfinders so doing a complete differential swap will not work unless you know how to cut and re-weld leaf spring perches.

You could try an Xterra/Frontier rear diff from a 4x4 because again the LSD is standard equipment. But the gear ratios will vary.

Automatics have 4.636 gears.Manuals have 4.363 gears.Supercharged units have 4.880 gears but (edit)they don't all have LSD because of the standard traction control system on the SC model.

Most 90's and newer Nissan Trucks have the H233B rear differential in them and that may be a limitation depending on what your truck has under it.

You have an interesting project. Good luck with it!

Seriously......Call Jane and tell her Big-Bird from Calgary told you to call.

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

Big-Bird wrote:Supercharged units have 4.880 gears but they are not LSD' because of the standard traction control system on the SC model.
False...My 5-speed supercharged Xterra has factory LSD. My dad's 4-speed auto supercharged '03 Frontier has LSD. Every SC model has LSD. The LSD in the '00-04 Xterra & same year Frontiers have a low break away torque that makes it seem like there is not a LSD. This is fixed by packing in more clutch disks.

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

XterraVersa wrote:
False...My 5-speed supercharged Xterra has factory LSD. My dad's 4-speed auto supercharged '03 Frontier has LSD. Every SC model has LSD. The LSD in the '00-04 Xterra & same year Frontiers have a low break away torque that makes it seem like there is not a LSD. This is fixed by packing in more clutch disks.
Many of the ones in Canada do not have an LSD because of the traction control system. A friend of mine had an ARB lcoker installed in his 04 SE/SC and they were suprised that it was equipped with an open differential.

If you have the Traction Control System on yours then it's news to me that the SE/SC models had a factory LSD. But hey this is how we learn.

I editted my earlier post as well since I may have learned something today.

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

Must be Canada models only. The US models didn't have traction control as an option.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”