Can I replace one of my 2 DVD players with a single-din radio? 2006 M35

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
MWumbo
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35 w/Tech & Journey Pkgs

Greetings! So 6 months after buying a 1-owner fully documented 2006 White M35 with only 108K miles on it (for $5K :) ), I am loving it more and more each day...EXCEPT no Bluetooth audio and lack of USB. I don't want the FM modulator route (sorry....none work that well and are a bit of a PITA sometimes). I am currently using the RCA to 3.5 cable and have my lightning adapter to hear (and sounds great through the 14 speakers lol), but want to see if something can be done without going crazy. I don't want to deal with the USA-SPEC or GROM (unless that is truly the last resort...had bad luck with both on 2 different rides in the past). I have 2 DVD players in my car: One in the glovebox (for nav but also has the Bluetooth logo on it) and another DVD player in the center console (but do not have the 2nd monitor option). I saw another thread about adding a single-din in a FUGA, but my M35 glove box setup is not the same. So, is it possible to either take the DVD/Bluetooth one out of the glovebox and put a single-din radio in there and use that bluetooth...OR...rip the DVD player in my center console and put a single-din player in there? I would run an IR sensor to pick up a remote. I don't want to install a double-din (although what that other forum member did was AMAZING!). Has anyone attempted this? I am wondering if it is possible and what would happen to my center screen (since everything is integrated into there...which I hate but it is what it is). If I had an aftermarket radio in this ride, that would make this dream ride that much better! Thanks in advance!

Sstupid
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport

I don’t know if the DVD player in the glovebox can be replaced with a single DIN head unit but if you do manage it you will lose your navigation. The Bluetooth symbol is for the phone connection but the phone connection only allows calls. The problem with the stock head unit is that there is no free input to get a signal to it any way other than a USA Spec, Audiovox MediaBridge, or GROM. I like the USA. It was VERY easy to install since my connection was in the trunk (just like yours is.). I have a 2006 M45 Sport witht the same system you have.

MWumbo
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35 w/Tech & Journey Pkgs

Thank you for the info! I made a "pusedo solution". I ordered a Bluetooth dongle, have the rca cables go from the inputs into the center console, and the power output usb cable going to the 12v outlet right next to the RCA inputs. all wires stay inside the center console except for 2 small ones that go out the back from under the center console armrest. Solution less than $20 (I got it when it was on sale about 2 weeks ago for $14.99 at Best Buy). The dongles is called the Aluratek iStream Universal Bluetooth Audio Receiver.

I would still rather put in an aftermarket stereo, but such is life i guess :-)

crimson45
Car: M45 Sport

yeah my GROM unit is a POS. Worked about 80% of the time when i got it, but it seems with each passing month the percentage of times it would work went down. got it installed in august i think and now in Feb it's a miracle if i can get it to turn on. and that's just for one time, if i turn off the car and try to get it started again it's another crap shoot. sometimes i just don't feel like messing with it anymore.
but hey Sstupid (lol) what's the USA thing you were referring to in your comment? I'm open to try another solution before i give up and sell the car. i got about 161k on my 06 M45 S so it's probably about time anyway now that I'm getting transmission issues.

Sstupid
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport

It’s the USA Spec BT45-Infi unit. It’s on Amazon. It basically gives you a Bluetooth input using the SAT radio input to the audio control unit so you can use your phone or other Bluetooth device to play music. It is easy to install and it works great if you don’t have an iPhone. If you have anniPhone it still works but sometimes “skips.”

Justicestayslifted
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

So why can't we install a single din and just tap into the ground/acc/12v constant/ and speakers to make it work ?

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

You can do anything you want, you just gave to be willing/able to read/understand the field service manual and tap into all the right wires then find and understand the right signal converters.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”