Can I pull that off?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ahamza

Hello everyone, I am new here and this is my first post.

I just graduated and I am planning to buy my first car which will be Rogue 2019. I got approved for a 23k and I have a power check for that. My question is, do you think I can buy a Rogue that is AWD since I live in a mountain area?

To be more specific, I see a lot of Rouge S 2019 that has the following price:

MSRP $27,590
TOTAL SAVINGS $4,107
OUR PRICE $23,483

At the same dealer, there is a 2019 Nissan Rogue SV AWD with the following:

MSRP $29,350
Total Savings $4,193
Our Price $25,157

Since I have never bought a car before, do you think it is "reasonable" and doable to bring this $25,157 to $23,000?

I checked the rules of the forum and I believe this is a valid post, if not, my apologies and I will understand if it is removed.

Thank you all for your time and help.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Welcome to nico.

I see no reason to buy a two wheel drive vehicle that is an suv. Most two wheel drive cars get better fuel mileage and are more comfortable than a small suv. The one big reason to own one of these is if you live somewhere like, mountains or a snow belt you can get where you’re going with a minimum of fuss and bother.

Also remember that even if you do get the price you want. You’ll still have to pay sales tax, which differs from state to state, you’ll need an inspection though I would make that part of the purchase from the dealer, registration to get your plates and insurance. You won’t be allowed to drive on the road without those. These little add ones can easily add another $2k to the overall purchase price.

You may want to check out a low mileage used one for thousands of dollars less.

So you sit down at the desk with the salesman and you get you price. He starts to add things up. $25,157+ tax (PA 6%) $1510.02+
Registration (ballpark $100) + insurance (you’re young ) so $200 per month, and so it goes. $26,767.02 plus insurance.

On 2nd thought maybe you should get a $1000 beater and call it a day. Or maybe not..at least you might want to consider a used one.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Have your parents give you a near new hand me down. At least that's what my dad did when he gave me the family's 2016 Rogue and made his 2017 MDX the new family vehicle.

That said, dealers wants you to finance through them as that was the experience we had while purchasing the 2018 Kicks SR. Are you looking at $23k out the door? Because some dealers will take ages to agree with that price for an SV AWD for out the door. Also try looking at the Rogue Sport, since that will come for $23k out the door with AWD.

And ^+1 with Rogue Jarhead's advice too.

Also... that price discounts they give has strings attached to them, so be careful before you pull the trigger.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

That $25,157 is their bottom dollar, typically - but it will be $28k once they add tax, title, license, doc fees, and the inevitable additional stuff they'll add on once they figure out you're a first-time buyer. Since you're financing, you don't have any negotiating power.

Some quick math: After 60 months, you will have paid $32k, and your car will be worth $12k. Your tags and insurance are gonna be another several grand over 5 years.

What's wrong with a $4k Corolla or a $6k Outback?

Going a**-deep in debt on a rapidly-depreciating asset is a quick route to permanent poverty. Welcome aboard - Hate to see people make mistakes with zeroes after them. ;)

ahamza

I think the "I just graduated" was not a very accurate term and made people think I am a B.Sc. graduate. I just graduated and got my PhD, so I am not young, I am 32.

I agree that buying a new car is not a smart move, but I have a very bad experience with buying used. It had mold and I had no idea what that smell was and ended up selling it after losing 2k in it. I did not want to repeat this experience, I just want something that is guaranteed to be clean and comfortable.

Does a certified pre-owned makes more sense? I do not feel it does, as datechboss101 said, it depricates really quickly, however, you search for a certified pre-owned from two years ago, and it does not really comply with the deprication charts that they show you. Still dealers are trying to sell it as if it is near new and they just knockoff a couple of grands.

Also, note that buying used will make the interest 5.5% instead of 4.75% if I buy a new car (Bank's terms). Someone advised not to do that since I will end up paying more on a used car than a new car after interest.

I really NEED AWD as I live in the mountains in NC with snow but I WANT Rouge.

If you really believe that I should be buying a used or certified pre-owned, what is the best way to find one?

Karona
Car: '99 Infiniti QX4 (R.I.P)
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I don't believe there is truly a 'correct' answer to this, as expected you'll hear arguments for both sides, with majority of the arguments being pro-don't-go-broke for obvious reasons, however unless you went overboard with providing your financial situation and stuff along those lines I don't think you could get a personal answer.

If you can truly afford it, then do as you please. If you could potentially have money troubles as a result, then do as you please. Live and learn.

As for finding used vehicles, I suppose it would depend on your location, how far you're willing to travel to check vehicles out, etc.

I've had good experience with AutoTrader. When I was looking I also just drove around to local dealerships to get ideas of prices and conditions of vehicles. I would recommend googling the vehicle's known issues so you have a good idea of things you look for in particular as well..

Lgb0250
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV

ahamza wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:27 pm
Hello everyone, I am new here and this is my first post.

I just graduated and I am planning to buy my first car which will be Rogue 2019. I got approved for a 23k and I have a power check for that. My question is, do you think I can buy a Rogue that is AWD since I live in a mountain area?

To be more specific, I see a lot of Rouge S 2019 that has the following price:

MSRP $27,590
TOTAL SAVINGS $4,107
OUR PRICE $23,483

At the same dealer, there is a 2019 Nissan Rogue SV AWD with the following:

MSRP $29,350
Total Savings $4,193
Our Price $25,157

Since I have never bought a car before, do you think it is "reasonable" and doable to bring this $25,157 to $23,000?

I checked the rules of the forum and I believe this is a valid post, if not, my apologies and I will understand if it is removed.

Thank you all for your time and help.
Don’t think you’re gonna get there on a 19. Rebates just aren’t high enough on 19’s yet. But, you should be able to on a new 18 model. Rebates are twice as much as on the 19’s. Is there enough difference to justify the price increase from an 18 to a 19?

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

You’re still young, but congratulations on a PhD that’s no small accomplishment. I’m afraid with the wording I was thinking high school.

Local dealers have lots of vehicles you should be able to find a CPO without much trouble. Or even an unsold 18 that a dealer is desperate to get rid of. I found my daughter the vehicle she wanted in Orlando we live in PA so we had a great road trip. Rouges are one of the more common vehicles sold, so I don’t think you’ll have to go quite that far.

Check around almost every dealer has a website with their inventory online. Both new and used.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I wasn't thinking HS, and the accomplishment is certainly impressive.

However, even at 32, buying your first car, I'd have the same advice if you were 17.

Good advice from everyone here. If you're really not OK with throwing away the depreciation, have someone inspect whatever you go look at. I think the "sweet spot" for depreciation vs wear is probably around 2013-2015 for your purposes, and there are plenty of great options there - you may wind up with a higher-end vehicle for the same money.

You had a bad experience with a used car, but frankly, it comes down to doing your homework - and, having a competent party inspect the car before purchase.

Whichever you decide, we'll be here to help out!

Return to “Rogue Forum”