Can I do this?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
1991S13
Car: '91 240sx Coupe, '00 QX4 4x4, '02 Sentra Spec V

Searched, couldn't find what I want to know (this may be a dumb question)...

If I put an RB25 in my 240sx, would I still be able to pass emissions and keep tags on it?

I really want an RB25, and almost have the money, but I want to be able to keep it on the street. Not intending to use it as a daily driver, just something to run around on the weekends/take to the track.

Thanks in advance.

DanCouga
Car: 1997 Nissan 240sx

I can't give you a definite answer, since I can't find the text on the NHTSA page, but as far as I remember the engine has to be newer than the vehicle year, must be a legal engine(offered in at least one vehicle that is registerable in the US) and must pass emissions.

Since 1990-1999 Nissan Skyline GTS and GTRs are registerable as long as they pass through an authorized importer, I would imagine that RB20DET, RB25DET and RB26DETT are legal as swap-ins. I don't think there were any changes made to the engine/exhaust for legalization.

I wouldn't take what I say as fact, you might want to poke around the NHTSA and DOTs website and also familiarize yourself with your local laws.

Or you could make a paper mache engine cover that looks like the KA and no one would be the wiser
Modified by DanCouga at 12:00 AM 6/7/2005

1991S13
Car: '91 240sx Coupe, '00 QX4 4x4, '02 Sentra Spec V

Thanks, I'll do some research.

I made a paper mache space shuttle back in like 3rd grade and it didn't turn out to well, I think I'll stay away from the engine cover

hashiriya13
Car: Cars, Racing, Cars, Racing

I have the 25 in my 240 and it is not really legal. I had it in Cali but registered in IL. No emissions for me but if there were it would not be legal. There are no inspections where I am from in Il. To keep it legal you would have to pay for the inspections. If you don't want that trouble ke the KA. You will have to talk with motor ex I have heard they can do the swap and make it legal but everything would have to come from them.

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

Call your state and ask them directly.If they say no, stay up reading laws until you find a loop-hole.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

DanCouga wrote:I can't give you a definite answer, since I can't find the text on the NHTSA page, but as far as I remember the engine has to be newer than the vehicle year, must be a legal engine(offered in at least one vehicle that is registerable in the US) and must pass emissions.

Since 1990-1999 Nissan Skyline GTS and GTRs are registerable as long as they pass through an authorized importer, I would imagine that RB20DET, RB25DET and RB26DETT are legal as swap-ins. I don't think there were any changes made to the engine/exhaust for legalization.

I wouldn't take what I say as fact, you might want to poke around the NHTSA and DOTs website and also familiarize yourself with your local laws.

Or you could make a paper mache engine cover that looks like the KA and no one would be the wiser

Modified by DanCouga at 12:00 AM 6/7/2005
Technically, the engine must be from a newer vehicle that is the *same model*. In otherwords, you could replace an 01 Sentra SE motor with an 02 SE-R motor, but not a KA24DE.

However, most states don't check into things that critically. So technically, yes, it's illegal by the EPA. However, you can most likely get by with it.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”