CAN BUS delete?

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
deletedalien
Car: Nissan S13 89 VQ35de

Hi all

so just a simple Basic Question...
if i clip the CAN BUS wired (pink and blue) crom the IPDM would the engine still work as normal?

This is for a VQ swap that's intended for a RACE only car.

The reason i ask is i'm planning to delete the IPDM completely since it really only controls the

Starter Relay
ECM relay
Fuel Pump Relay
And throttle control motor Relay....

TIA.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

CAN communicates both ways, it may very well bring the ECM down too. Some of the failure modes show it in the LAN section of the service manuals, I only have a Versa but it shows it there. A fail anywhere in it can bring multiple systems down at once to put them into failsafe mode.

Assuming of course you're still going to try to use the OEM ECM, it has to be able to get CAN relayed device OKs back from the IPDM to work further.

The system even needs termination like SCSI on a computer, simply clipping wires should not be able to work, the system is based on finding the termination at the circuit run ends, not finding it to only find cut wires, should make it begin to communicate unreliably.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”