Camshaft Sensor Location for 2009 G37???

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
jaceofdiamond
Car: 2002 Infiniti Qx4

Hey All, ...I know my question seems like it's been answered a million times, but I am not exaggerating when I say I searched the entire internet and did not find anything. Most of the results are for G35s. I did find one for 2010 G37 and was hoping that would be the same, but unfortunately I still cannot find it on my car. Anyone have a diagram that shows the location for a 2009 G37?

I am getting P0011 and that is for Bank 1. ... Thanks for any help you all can provide.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 9%2FEC.pdf
See pages EC-25 and EC-29. P0011/P0021 are more commonly caused by oil pressure issues in the front cover or sticky IVT solenoids than by bad sensors.

jaceofdiamond

Thanks VStar! Much appreciated. ... I actually found it this morning when I decided to look in the front, since I could not find it in the back or on the side.

So I changed the sensor as that's what code P0011 points to. The car is actually working much better now. Normal driving works fine. I can get it back up to 90 w/out issues. Was only able to get it to 70 previously and it would sputter real bad and I couldn't get it past that speed limit. The sputtering at low gears are gone too, even when I try pushing it a littler harder. However, when I push it hard, not slam the accelerator hard, but just enough to see how it kicks, I do get a sputter.

Check engine light didn't come back on, but my reading now went from P011 in the Trouble section to the Pending section. I find that interesting, but need to do some research to see why.

I did change the VVT solenoid even though it checked out. Replaced MAF sensor. I don't have a gauge to test oil pressure yet.

Anyhow, thanks for the file. It will definitely come in handy!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. The axially-mounted VQ engines can all have issues with hydraulic pressure to the IVT's because of bad o-rings or gaskets in the front cover. It's very common in the Pathy/Frontier VQ40's as well as the axial VQ35/37's. The oil passages for the IVT's are quite small and it doesn't take much of an internal leak to bleed off enough pressure to cause a P0011/P0021. Of course it can be very hard to diagnose, because it's not a global oil pressure problem, just lack of pressure high-up on the front cover. I've always thought it would have been wise of Nissan to drill a test port into the top of the front cover someplace, but nobody in Engineering listens much to us technicians. :frown:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - If your scanner will do commanded/actual IVT cam angles, the best way to discriminate a hydraulic issue from a sensor issue is to put up side-by-side graphs of the command and actual for both banks. Bad sensors will usually cause jumpy behavior in the actual readings for the problem bank, while hydraulic problems will usually cause a response that's slow but not erratic.

jaceofdiamond

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:38 am
PS - If your scanner will do commanded/actual IVT cam angles, the best way to discriminate a hydraulic issue from a sensor issue is to put up side-by-side graphs of the command and actual for both banks.
I'm just a DIYer, not a technician, so this is way above my pay grade. Lol ... I appreciate the info though. Will read up on IVT.
VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:38 am
Bad sensors will usually cause jumpy behavior in the actual readings for the problem bank, while hydraulic problems will usually cause a response that's slow but not erratic.
This makes sense. I'm going to continue test driving the car for the next few days to get a better feel and see if anything changes, before moving to the next step.

Thanks again, VStar!

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”