Camshaft Position Sensor - Circular vs Rectangular?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Fosty
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 2WD

I've got the P1145 code and I'm looking at which sensor to buy.
I usually try to just go with a familiar name and match the shape, but I noticed this Holstein one is circular. Is there anything special about that? Should I steer clear of it?

https://www.amazon.com/Holstein-2CAM012 ... B077ZMWJ7F

I figure it's got something to do with compatibility in other vehicles.

This is what the other one looks like: https://www.1aauto.com/nissan-pathfinde ... 66182/2001

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There's no functional difference between the ashcan and slot type sensors, that's a manufacturer preference. The main thing is that the length and internal sensor orientation are correct. Part of the reason aftermarket sensors don't always work right is that makers "split the baby" on the magnetic orientation in an attempt to use the same sensor in multiple applications. Depending on the Hall chip's sensitivity and other characteristics, that can result in a spotty or unreliable sensor. I absolutely never recommend aftermarket cam and crank sensors to my customers, I've seen way too much wasted time and pulled hair over them.

Fosty

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:00 pm
There's no functional difference between the ashcan and slot type sensors, that's a manufacturer preference. The main thing is that the length and internal sensor orientation are correct. Part of the reason aftermarket sensors don't always work right is that makers "split the baby" on the magnetic orientation in an attempt to use the same sensor in multiple applications. Depending on the Hall chip's sensitivity and other characteristics, that can result in a spotty or unreliable sensor. I absolutely never recommend aftermarket cam and crank sensors to my customers, I've seen way too much wasted time and pulled hair over them.
So I guess I should go with rectangular one because that Holstein one looks considerably shorter. But I think I'll go with one that is sold as a left hand one.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You should look up the OE part number using your VIN at NissanPartsDeal, then use the OE part number for googling equivalents. Shopping for any electrical part by MMY is inviting a migraine. Don't do it.

Fosty

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:45 pm
You should look up the OE part number using your VIN at NissanPartsDeal, then use the OE part number for googling equivalents. Shopping for any electrical part by MMY is inviting a migraine. Don't do it.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is MMY?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Make Model Year.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

Interesting, on the BMWs I'm usually playing with, it's the same thing. Some in the BMW world say OEM is ok, others say to use OE only, Nissans I don't know.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I never recommend aftermarket crank or cam sensors to my customers, I've seen way too much hair pulling and heartbreak over the years. Not that I'm against aftermarket generally, there are tons of places on any model where aftermarket will serve you every bit as well as OE, but CKP's and CMP's aren't among them. My advice is always bite the bullet and stick with OE.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”