camshaft journal shot!!!!

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Grifter
Car: S13 ca18det

Well I couldn't believe it when my Ca18det engine slipped Timing. All tensioner & idler are okay but when I removed the cams I noticed the intake cam journal closest to the belt had totally gone.
I mean it had dug into the head & scoffed the whole journal along with the bracket.
Thats why it kindov got jammed & when I started it up again it slipped.
This head & shafts were replaced after the exact same problem occurred few months back.
It was running real tappety then replaced lifters (when I was on ere few months back o& on advice from float.) Which helped for a fortnight but tapping came back. And then a squeal which I think was cause of the shaft rubbing into the head.
How coukd this have happened again. I took off both cams and all journals were good apart from the 1st intake cam journal. .
If oil pressure was low it'll affect most journals right? & not just one.
Ive literally stripped it now to replace the head for the second time.
Id wanna check oil pressure now as quite doubting on that. There's a round adapter thing on the oil filter which I think the previous owner may have had a oil pressure gauge. Would it be ok to hook up a gauge & measure oil pressure like that. Or do it the other way.

Grifter
Car: S13 ca18det

It ran good for about 80km before going out & I touched close to a 100mph no problem with it. But on jack stands again within few weeks

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Either your cam journals were out of round or your head's journals were out of round and when you secured the camshafts, you sealed the fate of those components. It warned you, but you probably didn't know any better. When you secured the camshaft bearing caps and it seemed harder to rotate the assembly, that was your warning. It happens every now and then, but when it happens, you have to have the bores (journals) of the camshafts align-bored.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Were you using the matching cam caps for the head? You can't mix and match them. Even something as simple as putting the cam cap on the wrong direction (they have an arrow on them that points towards the front of the motor) can cause issues. The cams should be able to be turned by hand once assembled and the cam gear is on. If not, there's and issue and it needs isolated and addressed. During this rebuild I caught my mistake on one cam cap that I accidentally installed backwards. I rotated the cam like I always do to make sure it was free and it just seemed a bit harder to turn than the other cam. I loosened all of the bolts and retightened them, and it didn't fix it. Took it all apart and inspected the cam and journals, and they all seemed fine. I then started putting the cam caps back on without the cam in so I could measure clearances when I caught my mistake of the cam cap being on backwards. Spun it around the right way, re-installed the cam, and it turned nice and smooth again.

If they turn smoothly during install, but you're getting damage later, it's an oil supply issue. Oil pressure values need confirmed IMMEDIATELY upon startup. noisey lifters are a sure sign of low oil pressure. Don't just let it go. Noisy lifter are the engine's way of telling you there's something wrong. Most engine builders want to run really loose oil clearances. Don't let them. Follow the FSM for bearing clearances. If the main and rod bearing clearances are too big, the head will have low oil pressure and you get noisey lifters, or worse, damage like you've experienced. If the oil pressure is good, but you still have noisey lifters, you have an oil supply issue to the head. There's a check valve in the block to prevent oil from draining out of the head when it's off. Without it, the lifters would be noisy and have to pump back up every time you started the car. The issue with the check valve is that it's easily plugged up by ANYTHING. It has very small internal passages. If it gets plugged even a little, the head starves for oil. The issue with check valve is removing it undamaged. It may be possible to do, but I haven't found a way. I've ruined it every time I've removed one. Replacements aren't available either. Fortunately the check valve from an early model VG30DETT will work. PART NUMBER 11036-1P600, a-bad-day-in-ca18det-land-t527348-30.html, page 2, next to last post.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”