CAMs

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
LiU
Car: Cars

I'm trying to get CAMs and I read that an Altima intake CAM and a 93 240 exhaust CAM have higher temp. duration but what year altima is it and can anyone confirm this?are there any alternatives for my CAMs... any testimonials?

Drift Machine
Car: 1991 KA-T 240sx

I believe that was only a rumor about the altima cams.

96_S14_SE
Car: 96 S14 SE - 05 VW GTI 1.8t - 89 S13 coupe "gold on brown"

Yeah, it was a rumor and doesnt work. If you searched you would have seen rna240 answered that about a month or so ago. I didnt search but was thumbing though and saw it even last night.

Any way the stock 91 - 93 cams are 240 - 248 and 95 - 98 are 232-232, jwt stage one and nismo cams are 2 s13 exhaust cams with one repinned for the intake side.

If you have a s14 the s13 cams drop right in. Just make sure you check the lash so you can get new shims if needed while its all apart.

I dropped 150k mile cams into my 75k mile (at the time) engine and they did not need new shims however. Still running great 29k miles later. By the way these are also better for turbo then the stock s14 cams as they push out more exhaust helping spool better.

S14Zilvia
Car: '90 300ZXTT, '92 S13 coupe, '06 Ram 3500 Mega, '93 del Sol Si

doesn't overlap cause a problem in turbo applications though?

(not sure how much overlap there is with 248's)

96_S14_SE

I doubt it is a concern as the increased exhaust (im talking 240-248 stock s13 cams vs 232-232 stock s14 cams) output would negate the little overlap, I would imagine.

RNA240 or TY on FA would know for sure though.

S14Zilvia

I wouldn't think that you would want to go to all that trouble and money for cams for a turbo application, if the increased flow is just being negated by overlap and vice versa.

Someone with more knowledge than us (and maybe a KA-T with or without cams) please explain why or why not to go with cams in a turbo application.

S-14boy
Car: 1998 Nissan 240SX SE

By putting the S-13 cams in the S-14 what kind of power gains can you look for? Aren't the motors rated at the same power by Nissan?

S14Zilvia

They are rated the same, but they make the power different ways.

The cams are still 248 in the earlier ones and 232 in the later.

technoman
Car: puss

I got 8hp from using nissmo CAMS.

R240NA

96_S14_SE wrote:I doubt it is a concern as the increased exhaust (im talking 240-248 stock s13 cams vs 232-232 stock s14 cams) output would negate the little overlap, I would imagine.

RNA240 or TY on FA would know for sure though.

An S14 intake cam paired to an S13 exhaust cam have proven to be the most useable for power on a turbo car. That being said, the power delivery is not the same rush as with a pair of S13 cams, so it's really up to the owner and their desires. S13 cams in my S14 gave a solid 9rwhp, but that's only above 5k rpm. A more agressive cam will shift the powerband higher, leaving the lowerend waining a little. It all depends on what you want, S13 cams can be found cheap and are an easy drop in. Altima cams DO NOT WORK. If I have type that ONE more time........

king240

Just recieved JWT dohc cams, 275 duration, .390 lift and their ecu upgrade, haven't installed them yet though, over the winter.

S14Zilvia

king240 wrote:Just recieved JWT dohc cams, 275 duration, .390 lift and their ecu upgrade, haven't installed them yet though, over the winter.

DAMN!! won't you have idle problems, loss of low end power, and all that with such a long duration?

Silviagirl79
Car: I love Silvias, Skylines, Soul Calibur II, and GT3

Thinking about getting a set of 1991 240sx cams that I saw on ebay for cheap. Who recommends this? They looked kinda rusty though. So can I get 8-9Hp from these cams, for real?!!!

And how much do u think installation would cost me. I'll prolly drop em in at the same time I get my engine swapped to a 98 5spd ka.

Later

96_S14_SE

Thanks r240na (keep wanting to call you rna24 hehe) knew that it was one of those mixes. I probably got 2 rwhp on mine, but I have an awwwto so I get basically nothing from everything.

You can defineately feel a pull in my car at 4500, even before the cams, just with all the other mods I have. The cams just heightened the feeling. Kinda sucks on the short auto-x courses, like sunday hehe. I left it in first (yes in my auto) for probably 60 - 70 % of the course, because of the longer gearing.

I reccomend and r240na would as well, the swap. Buying off of ebay im not too sure on. I got mine from Fosters by the greenway for a 100$ I originally bought one then went looking for the altima (back when the rumor was rampant a cpl of years ago) cam but said the hell with it. Went back and got the other 240 one. As for buying an ebay cam, I dunno.

Its a straight out swap, but you may have to pay Silviagirl. Basically you'd have to pay for labor at 20 something an hour. Shouldnt take more then a cpl of hours. I dropped em in in my 96 in 4 hrs, BUT I busted the first bolt off in the head due to a POS torque wrench, upon tightening. Still to try to back out, then drill and retap the head, it only took 4 hrs hehe. But you cant be sure they will check the shims clearance at the same time. I should have finished mine in 1.5 hrs, and it would be quicker the next time around.

As far as the rust are you sure its not just varnish from age? And yes 8-9 hp, damn I need a manual tranny.

Silviagirl79

Ok so if I buy these 91 240 cams, they will just drop in?

I've heard something about shims? What are shims?

96_S14_SE

Yup all you need is a 10 a 12 a 1" (i think cant rem off of my head), a torque wrench, some zip ties (to tie the cam sprocket to the chain as it is easier), feeler gauge, and some other small various things.

As far as the shims they sit on the lifters that sit on the valve stem. Over time with all metal parts, they wear. The purpose of the shims is ease of replacement when wear occurs. Basically the shim or cam will wear away over time and tolerances will be off, thus not letting the valves fully open, or in the case of too tight, not fully close.

The shim is there to take up or remove the vavle lash. If the cam to shim tollerance is too tight, keeping a vlave open, then you will need a thinner shim. The opposite is true if there is too much space between the cam and shim, youll need a thicker one.

Its much easier to change a shim then changing out a whole lifter, as you dont even need to remove the cam.

When I did mine everything was in spec, but I did not check the tolerances, as I was a little less educated and experianced. It wasnt untill a year later did I check the tolerances but everything checked out hehe, luckilly.

Silviagirl79

Cool thanks so much for the time you're taking to educate me :D

So you have an auto tranny...?

Whats it run quarter mile?

96_S14_SE

My best time was a 15.702 but I pulled other 15.7 runs as well, about 5 of them. I still have a few things NA I can do that I might do before the 5spd conversion just to get my auto faster hehe.

Its one of the quicker NA auto's Ive seen, as most people get fed up and go with N2O, FI , or convert it to 5spd.

Btw my first stock run was a 17.7 IIRC, I can find my timeslips to find out for sure.

Silviagirl79

Dang so a 95-96 auto runs a 17.7 sec quarter MILE? That is horrible.

Cant wait to get my 98 5spd engine and tranny in.

15.7 that is awesome for an auto what are your mods?

Also, do 240's meet up anywhere...in ORL?

96_S14_SE

I used to go to the old team nismo meets up at bennigans (however you spell it) that it seems nico has picked up on.

Now I really dont attend meets unless there is some track time. I tried to tell you and techno that there was an autocross on sunday but NOOOOOO hehe. It was horribly cold and windy and my runs were 50% wet, but seat time is seat time and I went none the less on 30 - 40 mins of sleep (had some problems with rain and missing weather stipping when putting cleaning and reinstalling my ram air system that i started at 12am hehe). Still on 30 mins of sleep, wet runs (dried out after the first session went :( ) I managed to place 8 of 16 in the novice class. I also didnt go off course once without a pre-walk of the course. Lots of not wise choices but still a blast.

Basically we have a little nissan meet among friends at the shop on sunday. He have 3 TT Z's, 1 s14, 1 na Z, 2 s13's, and 1 ga16 200sx with front end damage from hitting my rear rim at 10mph, in our circle of friends alone. We have some pics of just one average sunday with like 9 nissans that met up there by chance hehe.

Anyway mods:JWT popcharger incased in a ram-air setup (search general I think for an image of it)HS intake tube, heat wrappedBypassed coolant line in the TBdisabled egr system and 24° timing91' camsaccel wires 8.5mm (OEM sumitomo's where shot)dual altima electric fans in place of the stock Mech fanHS headers (still have one cat as autos have 2)apex-i N1Whiteline 29mm front 22mm rear anti sway barsTanabe front cusco OS rear strut tower bracesProgress 1.5" springsKoni yellow shocks / strutsEnergy suspension poly-tension rod bushing (and LCA when I get off my ***)Replicated nismo powerbrace (same thing 180$ cheaper when DIY)

Probably something else I am forgetting as well, but oh well. Still want to get the full set of pullies prior to the 5 speed swap to get a little quicker hehe.

Silviagirl79

Nice, when are u getting the 5spd swap done?

And you mentioned a "shop" does this shop work on Nissans? Do sr swaps?

96_S14_SE

Ill be installing the 5spd when the time cash and parts all line up hehe Its pretty easy with the hardest part being cutting the firewall. But thats not an issue. Should be getting the cash whenever I feel like posting images of my paintball gun and put it for sale. Should easilly cover all the costs for a 5 spd and all the parts, plus a R200V. Labor is free so thats not a concern hehe. Should cost me whatever for a tranny 100$ for all the misc stuff plus driveshaft,m I already have a 95 ecu just sitting around collecting dust as well.

As far as the shop. It just a doubled storage area my friend (nissan tech TT Z nut) owns. I keep all my stuff there and on the weekends are usually out there working on our cars doing whatever. His Z sat in there for around 8 months while one of his engines was getting rebuilt (fighting cancer at the same time kinda slows trhings down hehe). We took out and put the engine back in, on jackstands and it was fun hehe. My friends replacement JDM VG30DETT goes in next, and I would imagine I will be doing my tranny up there as well... If not Ill just do it in my back yard over the weekend, no big deal. Ill just have to borrow a few things.

All we know is nissans. He specializes in the 300, and myself in the 240. While Im sure together we could get the SR in, we just never have done one and well the time really isnt there for him. I was going to go with the sr and do it there though. But I re-fell inlove with the bastardized truck engine and just going to turbo it.

Basically like I said we all meet up on saundays sometimes mondays and do what needs to be done. Its all fun.

Silviagirl79

Yeah does sound like fun. I have purchased every part needed for my auto->manual swap. All I need now is clutch lines. Where do I get those? I ended up buying the clutch and brake pedal from another salvage yard closer to Orlando than Daytona. 75.00 for the manual set up.

I am having a friend of my husbands do the swap (he is charging us 300.00) for labor. This is a good deal right? Enjuku was going to charge me 1500.00!! I am swapping engine/tranny. The shop said it should only take like 3-4 days. But enjuku told me 2-3 weeks. Anywayz I still love em, I'm still getting my bomex eye mask from them...

96_S14_SE

98 engine and tranny right? Yeah it isnt that diffcult and easier to pull the engine to do the swap anyway, so swapping out the engine should take an extra cpl of minutes (if its already together its quicker). It should only take a few days and 300 sounds good to me. Basically you take the engine and tranny out as a unit drill the needed holes and mount up the master cyl lines and wires. Then drop the new engine and tranny in. Its not a big deal at all.

Ken is a great guy and I still get alot of stuff from him. I wouldnt trust anyone with my car besides myself and my friend though hehe. So you are doing this then swapping in an SR later? Or are you doing the SR swap with the 5 speed?

If its the sr for 300 thats the best deal Ive ever heard next to doing it yourself.

The lines may be out there btw, I could go check if I have nothing to do.

Silviagirl79

Thanks so much I really need those lines. Thats all I'm missing.When I spoke with Budget Auto Salvage I forgot to ask them about the lines.

No, I am doing a KA swap right now. Because my car was vandalized and they stole parts. So my insurance co cut me a check and I just decided to get a new engine (mine had 150k), this one has 46k, and is 5SPD, mine was auto.And I was very close to getting the SR swap, but Charlie the guy who was going to do it for me got into a motorcycle accident.

Anywayz...thanx for the quick replies. And I'd really appreciate it if you could check on those clutch lines. :help

You rule :ylsuper

96_S14_SE

Charles short lil guy right? He told me he sold his 240 again and bought a bike IIRC. Figures hed wreck it if its the same guy. Also hes had I think 2 240s both with silvia swaps one done twice as he was going to sell it and keep a jeep. But he sold the jeep and kept the 240. Thats one confused guy.

Ill check on the lines, no biggie.

But stock s14 engine and tranny into a stock s14 is not that hard and could be done in a few days with a cpl of people easy. No way 2 - 3 weeks. A cpl of hours to get the engine out, if that, like wise back in, and all the hardstuff is rigging / hooking the MC up.

Silviagirl79

Yeah sounds like the same guy...although I have never met Charlie so I dont know about his height.

But yeah he has done 7 240sx/Silvia swaps, A couple for himself and a few for others. The last one I saw he had sold on ebay for 11,500

96_S14_SE

Yeah the grey one, that was originally that blue grey color and had been broken into way back hehe He was going to sell it and keep the cherokee, so he stripped the parts off, but sold the cherokee and replaced everything.

Anyway the clutch line is there as well as the master cyl and both pedals (had to goto bestbuy anyway so I stopped), its still in the same place (same row), and the line should be 3$. They also have the trim peice with a slighty used boot (needs a new one), but I grabbed the better of the 2 in the yard, months ago :) If you need one that is..

Nice thread jacking btw hehe

R240NA

SERIOUS thread jacking, dang kids get a room.:) My cams went right in too, took a total of an hour and half, pulled the upper guide out behind the upper cover while I was in there. I checked shims and was only off on 3, I had the set from the head I bought and used those. I bought the complete head for $150, kept the cams and sold it for $125, so $25 for 9rwhp, not bad. Also, I missed saying this but any 91-early 93 set works, they're all the same.

96_S14_SE

Yeah that was another rumor from back when. That only 91' cams had the best duration, when in fact all 91-93 had the same duration.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”