Cams cams cams

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
kierandill
Car: cars, 'puters, females

Say, 240SX gurus - help settle a debate. I know I've read about a mod for the SX invoving the use of old Altima camshafts. I don't remember the details, but my question is really the reverse.

Some say you could use aftermarket 240sx cams in an Alty. I say you can't, because I read somewhere that the SX exhaust cam lacks the distributor drive slot on the back end that the Altima needs.

Reason anyone cares is that, while they aren't exactly growing on trees, aftermarket SX cams are somewhat more plentiful than Alty cams.

So, does anyone know where the truth lies?

Thanks,KD

sheadee240

First generation Altima cams will not work in the 240, and I'm not sure about second generation, but if you ask, people will freak out, because there were so many rumors about the altima cams going around. I think that JWT uses thier 240sx cams in the second generation altima as well. I have never heard anything about the distibuter drive slot before, but if there is any truth to that I would guess that you have it backwards because I believe the altima uses a distibuterless ignition, while the 240 has a good old fashioned distributer.

Check this link, because it makes me think that the 240sx cam may work in the second generation altima

sr20development

And if there is any truth to this distributer drive talk, that would explain why everyone freaks out when somebody asks a about using an altima cam in the 240.

What year is you altima?
kierandill wrote:Say, 240SX gurus - help settle a debate. I know I've read about a mod for the SX invoving the use of old Altima camshafts. I don't remember the details, but my question is really the reverse.

Some say you could use aftermarket 240sx cams in an Alty. I say you can't, because I read somewhere that the SX exhaust cam lacks the distributor drive slot on the back end that the Altima needs.

Reason anyone cares is that, while they aren't exactly growing on trees, aftermarket SX cams are somewhat more plentiful than Alty cams.

So, does anyone know where the truth lies?

Thanks,KD

Aries
Car: LT1 240SS

altima cams WILL work, but must be re-ground.they are not anywhere near as easily swapped in as the S13 cams.

sheadee240

Which years?...First generation?
Aries wrote:altima cams WILL work, but must be re-ground.they are not anywhere near as easily swapped in as the S13 cams.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”