Cali Custom Spring 3 month update

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
redmanfx
Car: 92 Q45a

My Cali Custom Springs have been on the Q for about 3 months now and I just wanted to go over some things as an update. When these springs became available I jumped at the chance to get them because I needed my Q lowered and didn't want to have a super stiff suspension. In addition to the springs I've installed the sub-frame collars and spacers. I have a converted active Q with the Active sway bars and one of Jeff's tower braces from his 1st or 2nd batch, which has started to "twist", and am running with the Tokico blues.

First thing to report is that the car is "stiffer" but handles terrific on my high speed runs on these NC back roads. Now that time has gone by I'm starting to notice the little bumps in the road when I didn't before. It's a little noisier, so A little bit of the Luxury is gone which was fully expected, but now I "notice" it all the time. That is not a problem with me as I routinely travel in the triple digits and handle the curves in the road like a dream, so I'm not downing these springs at all. Secondly, the look and styling of the car still keep me looking at it when I'm not driving it, so mission accomplished as I get many other looks as well. Next, I still hear no creaks from the suspension collars or any other little noises like that.

I would still recommend them to anyone who understands what they want to achieve by installing cut springs and the slight sacrifice to the Luxury aspect of the Q. In other words, don't mess with what you have,.. not knowing what will happen.

The tower brace I got from Jeff is starting to twist a bit, but still achieves what I thought it would and I totally understood that it wasn't a Stillen tower brace and I can still only applaud what he has done for us NICO junkies and our Q's by providing a great tower brace at an affordable price.

After getting my Exclusive RB NICO ECU back(and new radiator amoung other things) I put the Q back on the road for a while and tested it. Works well with the JWT TCU. I love my set up and still love my ride! My OZ rims were just stripped of paint and I'm looking for a good powder coater down here to finish them up and soon they, along with some Pirelli's, will be added. That of course will require more triple digit runs...........

In closing I want to again thank everyone here for all the info and hook ups for my "Q".

red

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

Dude, you gotta post some pics when you get the wheels on.

I can concur about the handling. We are all screwing up the best part of the "Luxury" for better cornering and handling. I have done it before, and swore I wouldn't do it again, but alas, I am in on this batch of springs.

What I should have done, was cut and re-weld the spring perches 1" lower on the struts. I was kinda hoping the progressive spring rate would keep a softer ride. I already have to make excuses for the harsh ride with the 18" rims and low profile tires.

I have 2 of the original batch braces on my cars, and I too have seen them twist. The hats were just too flimsy.

The later batches have thicker steel, and should hold up better.

If you want to unload that one on eBay, I can hook you up with the new design.

redmanfx

Jeff Williams wrote:Dude, you gotta post some pics when you get the wheels on.

I have 2 of the original batch braces on my cars, and I too have seen them twist. The hats were just too flimsy.

The later batches have thicker steel, and should hold up better.
That's where the twisting on mine stems from as well and I'm interested in getting one with the thicker hats. A little later on perhaps......

When the rims find themselves on the car I will post some pics and believe it or not I WILL finally change my sig pic as well. I want to show just how far my car has come since those first few months of ownership.

Someone else talked about moving the spring perches as well, but that's too much much for me due to my wanting a ground effects kit that wouldn't get turn up.

I'm also thinking of driving cross country if I get some finances worked out since I'm now unemployed. Taking a little 5 or six week tour of America will do nicely for me! Maybe I can meet a few of you, especially since I'll be in Phoenix visiting my father during that time.

red

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Glad you like them redman... BTW, i found these springs to be more accomodating, especially in the front, for a better ride than the eibachs. Food for thought!!!

I cant wait to see what these "mystery wheels ( )" look like freshly powdercoated......

Honestly i think that these springs are just golden, it transforms the car from a more lexus like ride to a BMW like ride, which is what i want. I want to know whats on the road, but i dont want to realy "feel" it... I like the firmness personally...

The solid tension rods are really what did most of the harsness for me.

91QAZ
Car: 91 Q45

Red,

I'm in South Chandler. If you get a chance, look me up when you're in town. When are you going to try to go west (you want to be here before May or June - HOT)?

Tom (91QAZ)602-721-6824

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'd be down to meet up as well!

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

Greg doesn't have enough room for another Infiniti at his house!

I think it woudl be cool to try to meet as many NICOites on a cross country trip as possible. I would have done that with Lola, but Evie was ready to get home and she is not that big on NICO (I know, it is hard to believe).

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

I live in Queen Creek and work in Phoenix, let's meet up somewhere when everyone's around. I imagine I may have seen some of you around the Phoenix area but I wouldn't know it if I did.

I'd be fun to put faces to the names.

redmanfx

elwesso wrote:Glad you like them redman... BTW, i found these springs to be more accomodating, especially in the front, for a better ride than the eibachs. Food for thought!!!

I cant wait to see what these "mystery wheels ( )" look like freshly powdercoated......
I agree about the Eibachs being too stiff. The wheels will be unique and not totally smooth, in other words they now have "texture" to them. That's all I'm going to say for now.......
91QAZ wrote:When are you going to try to go west (you want to be here before May or June - HOT)?
yeah I'm used to that becuase I use to visit and stay during the summer months!! Tubing down the river east of Phoenix and going up north to Sedona and such... 110 degrees at 9am ... Please.. and all I got was a "yeah, but it's a dry heat".... What is that Lake powell out NW of you, the one they dammed up years back. Did some water skiing and Bass fishing out there as well. I used to visit before the Army core of engineers finished and filled the canal.. Back in the day before the Cardinals and any kind of decent HWY or beltway sytem.

Most likely going to be March sometime. Lord knows there's alot of you guys in that area!!

red

JohnPa
Car: 1990 Q45t

Hey Redman, can you fill us in on the wheel and tire size you used when you were evaluating the new spring setup? I have the same springs coming, and plan to use them on my 90 Q with '97-'01 16" wheels running 235/55's on the front and 255/50's on the rear. Any comments will be appreciated.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

You should be able to run 255-50 all the way around.

JohnPa
Car: 1990 Q45t

Wes, I had the 235/55's all way 'round, thinking that the 255/50's would rub in the front if I lowered the car. Then, I ruined a tire, so bought two of the larger ones for the rear. How 'bout it..........will the 255's rub when lowered?

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

remeber that when you drop the car, the wheel does not drop straight down, it more or less goes inside the wheel well more, in other words, it tilts inward a little....... negative camber! Negative camber increases approx. .6* for every 1 inch lower...... so if it didnt rub under hard cornering, it shouldnt with the springs, i say 95% chance it will be OK, but I always leave 5% so people wont come back to me and say WTF mate...

redmanfx

I've got two different sized rims. Fronts are 17's and I'll be running 245-45wr17 Pirelli PZero M+S, Rears are 18's and I'll have 245-40wr-18 Pirelli P Zeros M+S on them. I sure nothing will be rubbing except for the inside of my wallet!

red

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

My $.02.......I think it looks cooler with wider tires in the rear.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

even with 245s in the rear they look like steamrollers..

redmanfx

If memory serves me correctly I had a hard time finding wider Pirelli's for the rears and I will only go with Pirelli's for these rims. and when I dr. up some pics I think they will look nice with the 40's. We'll see.

red

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”