CAI in the Winter

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Woody64
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL 6-Speed

I was talking to the mechanic at the Nissan Dealership where I bought my car, asking him what mods I can make while still staying within the factory warranty. I brought up a CAI, he said it does not void the warranty, but that in the winter it can damage the engine. I live in NY, so winters are cold, he said that starting a car on a cold morning with a CAI system, can "burn the pistons" and that would not be covered under warranty. I am not sure exactly what he means by this, but if anyone has any experience with CAI in winter climates, please share. I like the look and performance from that a CAI offers, but I do not want to do any damage to my engine. Thanks...

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

Woody64 wrote:I was talking to the mechanic at the Nissan Dealership where I bought my car, asking him what mods I can make while still staying within the factory warranty. I brought up a CAI, he said it does not void the warranty, but that in the winter it can damage the engine. I live in NY, so winters are cold, he said that starting a car on a cold morning with a CAI system, can "burn the pistons" and that would not be covered under warranty. I am not sure exactly what he means by this, but if anyone has any experience with CAI in winter climates, please share. I like the look and performance from that a CAI offers, but I do not want to do any damage to my engine. Thanks...

So cars that drive in -20F weather everyday are burning pistons? I have a CAI on my xterra & have driven it when it was below zero plenty of times. The enging still runs.

Skim302
Car: Nissan Versa S

Yeah just think about it for a second.

A cai is one of the most popular mods for all cars, and if what he is saying is true then why dont you hear about tons of cars breaking down during the winter because of their cai?

It sounds like BS to me

ITasteLightBulbs
Car: 08 Nissan Versa, 91 Ford Crown Vic

the only reason this might be true is if the air is so dense because its so cold and coming through the cai that it messes up the fuel:air ratio to the point that the fuel cant actually ignite.....but I dont think that would actually ever happen, and if you do blow the pistons just throw the stock intake back on and take it to the dealership....if you installed the cai right they should never know the difference.

Johniboi
Car: Versa

peoples be bullsh****** alot now-a-days

Jemdawg
Car: Super Black Nissan Versa 1.8SL Hatchback

The cooler, dryer weather of the winter will only be more efficient.

ITasteLightBulbs
Car: 08 Nissan Versa, 91 Ford Crown Vic

Exactly, its the whole point of a CAI, I think that tech is indeed an idiot. Just a side note, someone had found that Nissan got their 122 hp on a cold motor, once warm the motor was actually a few hp less. The article is somewhere on here but I was too lazy to search it.

Woody64
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL 6-Speed

Thanks for all the info, as soon as I have enough extra saved up I am going to buy the Fujita CAI. From what I have read on here, they are not that hard to install. Thanks again.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”