Cabin noise

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
laudjo
Car: Boating/sailing/working out

I recently purchsed a new FX35 and cannot believe the excess noise generated by the tires and wind at highway speeds. It sounds as though a window is opened or the sunroof is not closed properly. My Chevrolet Avalanche was quieter that this vehicle. Anyone else experiencing this??

NISTECH

you sure about what your hearing or is it the power train is so quiet now that you are hearing everything else? this is a big concern of nissan's that their power trains are getting so quiet other noises are becoming more dominant. road noise was always the second loudest noise on previous model/ engine cars. well now that they have reduced the powertrain noises other noises are becomeing more obvious.

laudjo

Unfortunately, I think the noise is from the tires. On certain roads the noise is not that bad, but on other roads it is very noticable an annoying. Even passengers notice it. The 18 inch, low profile tires seem to transmit the "pavement" into the cabin. Don't guess I can do much about it.

MikeNColo
Car: Love to ride Steam Trains

I just bought my FX35 and I have to agree with laudjo... Mine is very loud - surprising for a luxury vehicle.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Nissan/Infinti should make thier powertrain noise less quiet.Maybe a les restrictive exhaust.?

The numbers show those vehicels to be pretty quiet cars.

Fred...:)

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I didnt mean to sound like I was making fun of you guys but I really do think Scott aka Nistech has a point.

Fred...:)

joystix2
Car: Electric Scooters

I think we're getting a little spoiled here. Before I bought my FX45 a couple of weeks ago I was driving a raised Dodge Durango. Thats was noisy. And the engine with it's 5.9 engine made it even noisier. So Even with the 20"s on mine I think it is very quiet. I bought the FX because it drove like a sports car with all the room I needed for the family. If I really wanted quiet I would have bought the RX330 but then I wouldn't get the performance of a sports car that I really wanted since I was pushing 40yrs old..... Love mine!!!!

Ric

MikeNColo

Nistech does have a good point, and the FX is a very tight vehicle - which is why I bought it. I really enjoy the deep intake and exhaust sounds, it's just at higher speeds on concrete highways, it gets a bit loud from the road - something I'd expect from a $18,000 rattletrap, just not a $45,000+ car. One thing I have discovered is that the cabin flow-thru ventilation exhausts right behind the driver-side rear tire, and that may be conducting some noise back into the vehicle. It's no biggy, but I wanted to let laudjo know someone else was experiencing it too. Thanks for listening...

YSWEATME
Car: Infiniti FX 35 Sport Package, Honda Accord EX, Ford Mustang GT, Honda CBR 600 F4

Yeah, those tires do make a lot of noise, but I love the pipes on this thing and I have to agree with joystix, my Mustang is A LOT louder than this.

MikeNColo

Well, after 4 months, I'll tell ya, it ain't gotten better.... The rear tires really whine/howl it's purely road noise not drivetrain noise, and it's transmitted right into the cabin. Now the front tires are relatively quiet. So,why just the back?? I really wish Infiniti engineers would check this out, maybe some thicker bushings, or some additional sound matting in the right places would do the trick - and sell it as an aftermarket option to add/change - I'd gladly pay for it. When it comes time to replace tires, I will definitely look at noise ratings over performance.

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

Careful there, because there HAS GOT to be a compromise, and the OE tires are chosen (for this application) to be a performer first, and ride harshness/road noise a close 2nd.... this is true, because look at the response from other owners: room for the family, with big performance numbers also.

The only way that can happen is if you have performance tires. Currently, the only performance tires that will fit onto the fx 18" and 20" are going to be noisy.

Here in Washington, the freeways are mainly concrete, but there's long sections that are newly paved with blacktop. Road noise goes from: "turn up the radio to drown out the noise" concrete.... to "wow this thing is smooth and quiet" blacktop surfaces.

As soon as low-profile OEM tires are used in a broader range of applications, there will be more options available, and better tire technology that will give us performance grip and smooth/quiet ride.

YSWEATME
Car: Infiniti FX 35 Sport Package, Honda Accord EX, Ford Mustang GT, Honda CBR 600 F4

If just your rear tires seem extra loud and not your front tires, there could be something wrong with your rear tires. Maybe a belt shifted or something and that could be causing extra noise. It might be worth your while to look into that, cause road noise is one thing, but any extra noises that really aren't supposed to be there could drive anyone crazy.

MikeNColo

Thanks for the suggestion but it's not unusual noises from the rear, just sounds like someone opened a trap door right on top of the rear wheel wells...lol. I doubt there is anything physically wrong with the tires.

A friend had a possible idea though. Since the subwoofer is buried in the spare tire, there may be some road noise transfered through the same routes that they use to vent the subwoofer. And as I mentioned before, the cabin vents out right behind the driver's side rear wheel, and maybe isn't baffled enough to reduce road noise.

And I agree with what SmithSR said, by the time I get around to replacements, Goodrich, Michelin, General, etc... will probably all have tires w/ differing tire compounds, tread agressiveness, noise/ride comfort... etc.. Oh, and If you're wondering why I didn't consider the 18" wheels and softer ride, I was told the Dealer doesn't order them, they don't sell. Everything is ordered with the Premium & Sports packages, and more w/V8s. They had 1 w/ 18" wheels but it had the V8, and all options - sold for $56,000 - way too rich for my blood, and it wasn't even available for driving - they'd never unpacked it and weren't very keen about doing it, just so I could test drive the tires (and then get a V6).And don't laugh... but I drove 2 different FX35s that day, and I'd swear both rode quieter when I test drove them, than after I took delivery. I'm wondering if the tires were still inflated to a higher pressure, and thus less rubber on the road and quieter.I've had more than one car delivered with around 50 lbs of pressure in the tires - this one wasn't, because at walk-thru I caught a glance at the tire pressure monitor screen - just for reference, it does show 4 lbs. lower than pressure gauges.

YSWEATME

Man, I don't know what to tell you then. I guess you can just crank that nice stereo up and blast the subwoofer so you don't hear the noise as much anymore. :D

laudjo

MikeNColo I can certainly empathize with you and the road noise. How can Lexus do such a great job of sound reduction and iInfiniti not? My noise continues to be a huge source of disatifaction with the vehicle. Will probably get rid of it sooner than I thougt. In all of the vehicles that I have own I have never had to turn up the radio volume to drown out road noise. Its really annoying on long trips which I have to take on a regular basis I do hope they come out with q quieter performance tire.

NISTECH

laudjo, Have you contacted Infiniti about your disatisfaction with the vehicle? I mean corprate not the dealer. is it still under warrenty? The number for corp. should be in your owners manual. They wouldnt want you just aboandoning their product they may work with you on it. I work in the nissan end and they do do alot of what they call goodwill repairs to improve their customer satisfaction. They may step up with a solution if you press hard enough.

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

Laudjo, I must reiterate my thoughts about tire choice on the fx. With the performance slant the vehicle is given, it's hard(impossible) to find a tire that will perform as the OEM 18 or 20" units do, be that size, and still offer the supple, quiet ride of a smaller 16 or 17" units available on vehicles that are geared toward luxurious isolated driving, and not response/performance. That is the major compromise with such tires.

The Lexus people would have you in a well appointed casket, out of touch with the road, and riding on a smooth silent tire that neither transmits nor responds. Infiniti found the best available compromise, while still keeping the bent on performance. The sacrifice is road noise. Perhaps the cabin isolation will also improve, as tire technology improves and a quieter, equally performing tire is available...in the future.

Omahafx
Car: any outdoor activities, cars, reading

Am I missing something here? I went from a 2000 Maxima SE to the FX35, and I don't seem to have much road noise - or maybe my Maxima wasn't quiet either...........anyway, several road trips of over 100 miles, and I can't complain about noise, even with the crap highways in the midwest. Sorry to hear about your problems, I hope you find a solution....other than getting rid of the FX.

YSWEATME

Yeah, I travel at least 200 miles one-way, twice a month and I've even taken an 800 mile trip (one way, again) down to GA recently and granted my FX isn't as quiet as my parent's Cadillac DeVille, I don't expect it to be.

I'm really sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Salsa
Car: Dance

Have you guys test driven the Lexus? I was very concerned about noise. I thought I would buy the Lexus even though I was impressed with the handling of the Infiniti because I care more about a quiet ride than driving like a sports car. Then, I test drove the Lexus and found that it was almost as noisy as the Infiniti, but didn't have the nice throaty sound. I've never driven either car on a concrete road, so maybe I'm missing something very important.

joystix2
Car: Electric Scooters

Again, If you want quiet buy a Lexus or a luxury Car. If you want performance and somewhat quiet you already have it. I consider a Porsche a very luxury car or SUV and those things are very loud on the road. My opinion is I bought the best of both worlds. Quieter than a sports car and more performance than a Luxury soft riding SUV.... Maybe you can try an undercarriage foam?

Ric

laudjo

I really don't think I'm exagerating this noise issue with the FX. I bought this vehicle for the exact same reasons that most people did, agressive looks, great ride and handling, and sportscar feel.I don't mind the "growl" of the muffler but in a car of this cost, I never expected to have to turn up the radio to drown out road noise. Even friends have commented on the noise. I'm surprised that more people are not saying that they are experiencing the same problem.

YSWEATME

Have you raised your concerns with the dealer? If so, what have they said about the noise, or don't they notice it? Does your car sound the same as the testers or is it louder? Maybe you legitimately have a problem with your car that needs to be fixed. We can praise our cars all day long, but the bottom line is that you are the one who needs to be happy with your investment.

Return to “Murano Forum”