Cab Removal and Exchange (Swap)

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
brianzero
Car: 1986 Nissan 720 4x4 Regular Cab 265,000 mi! (Gasser unfortunately)

Hi All

I have a regular cab 4x4 720 that I want to swap for a king cab (the actual cab). Can anyone give me any general steps to follow or what to look out for when doing this?

I'm most concerned that the bed may not fit. My current is a short bed.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

yeah... the mounting points will most likely be off... and the bed most likely won't match up (wheel to wheel well)

i'm sure if we compare some measurements we can get a more definite answer but my guess is no

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

PEZi720 wrote:my guess is no
The cab will mount on the standard mounting points but the tray needs to have the front mounting bracket moved to accommodate the shorter tray. Its not difficult if you have the cab and tray.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

what about the bed though?

mdjett
Car: 84 Nissan 720 4x4, bunch of old BMWs

The bed will be to long and the bolt points off. Not like it's hard to drill new points and bob the bed, but that is a different thing entirely.

The standard short bed 720 has a shorter overall frame lengh (and wheelbase) than the KC/longbed. I'm running into the exact same issue in reverse; I've got a longbed I want to swap a new body onto, but had the long wheelbase so I'm pretty much stuck with a KC swap.

brianzero
Car: 1986 Nissan 720 4x4 Regular Cab 265,000 mi! (Gasser unfortunately)

Good thing I asked, I was just about to start disassembling the cab...

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

Forgot there is a long and short tray. The wheel well wont line up either as the frame is for the short bed. The frame would need to be lengthened by 16" in front of the first tray bracket to accommodate the original tray with the KC cab.

cementhead
Car: Nissan 720 4x4

I know this topic has been pretty much resolved but I once replaced a damaged king cab (it had been rolled and the roof had been crushed and the windshield broken). The way I did it was by cutting the cab.

I drilled out the spot welds on the forward posts and cut the floor pan just to the rear of the rocker panel weld. (Leaving enough sheet metal so that the original floor pan and the donor floor plan overlapped 2 inches) I then pulled out the remaining part of the rocker panel to make room for the new rocker.

Then the donor cab was slipped onto the pillars and into the rocker panel. I used the new doors and windshield as guides. I then welded the floor panels on the top and bottom.

I couldn't believe that it was so simple and quick.

Return to “Datsun 720”