CA18DET swap to an S14

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Buttons06
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan 240SX SE

Okay, I've been searching for a couple days but haven't found any definitive answer yet. I was wondering if the stock S14 240SX drive shaft would work on a CA18DET swap, or if I'd have to get a different one. Well I'll need a different one regardless since my S14 is an auto for now anyway, I just wanted to know if I could just grab a cheap stock one and use, just to get the car going down the road once I get the engine. I'm thinking the stock s14 driveshaft would work, but I don't have the engine yet or the shaft, so I've got no way to test it.

Thanks guys

And I guess you could say I'm new to the whole S14 thing, but I got this car from my ex a couple years ago and I like it, but my brother managed to kill the timing in the KA and somehow drove it home a couple months ago, so I'm just going to do a swap.

Okay, I searched again after getting off work, and found the answer out, so I guess disregard this post. lol
Last edited by Buttons06 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bimeur
Car: rs13 '94/ca18det

If i remember well, the only difference, is the ABS/NON-ABS DS, for the rest, they are the same.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

S14 is fine, but as bimeur said, make sure you get an ABS driveshaft if you have an ABS car, and vice versus. The length is different and you can't mix them.

Buttons06
1990 Nissan 240SX SE

Alright. Yeah, read something about that, knew the driveshafts were different, but stopped looking as I already knew I didn't have abs.
Anyway, I'm going to get an engine from Sunrise JDM Motors unless I can find another good place to get it. Comes with:
Complete Engine - 5-Speed Transmission - ECU - Harness - Turbo - Intake Manifold - Exhaust Manifold - Distributor - Alternator - Starter - A/C Compressor - Power Steering Pump - Throttle Body - Clutch - Fly Wheel - Pressure Plate
Guess that leaves me needing the driveshaft, clutch system, and some wiring (or getting the premade lower/tranny harness from wiring specialties) to do right?

Okay, searched around locally, and found a drive shaft, master and slave cylinders, and the lines for the clutch system (clutch system from a 93 240SX - Read I think on 240sxforums that the slave is the same as goes on the CA). Guess I'm set pretty much, so ordering away in a few days! :o
Guess when I get it in, I'll rebuild the CA and make sure things work right, then put it in. May even grab a few more parts between now and then.
Tallied all that up to about $1700 USD, no rebuild kit, no clutch pedal. Can't be much for the pedal, and I'm sure one from a junkyard would work as well as any other. Rebuild kits seem like I can stay under 2k with it, but I should probably replace the water pump and oil pump while I have it apart too. Guess I'm looking for them now!

float_6969

Stock rebuild on an old motor is always a good idea. Definitely replace the water pump, and replacing the oil pump doesn't hurt. Also plan on replacing all the belts, and coolant lines. I would also see if you can fit a larger turbo into your budget. The stock CA18 turbo is terribly small. Even upgrading to the S13 SR T25 is an improvement and it won't cost much. I'm suggesting this not only for power reasons, but that it's MUCH easier to replace the turbo with the engine out of the car.

Also, have you budgeted for intercooler and piping? That's never included with an engine set. You can buy a front cut and it's supposed to come with it, but the extra cost in the front cut and shipping would pay for an eGhey FMIC kit.

Buttons06
1990 Nissan 240SX SE

Just priced an intercooler and piping, and a t28 turbo. Was trying to stay under 2k, but those upgrades should help a lot, so maybe I should save up a little more and grab them too. Or just save while the engine and stuff ships :o
Wondering what good places I can get a front cut from now that you've mentioned that.

float_6969

All you're really gaining with the front cut is the SMIC. I got a front cut when I got my motor, and I wished I hadn't. The SMIC was smashed and one of the pipes was missing. The supplier never gave me anything to replace it with. I'm not even sure you can still get front cuts anymore. The extra price for the set and shipping pays for a FMIC these days.

Buttons06
1990 Nissan 240SX SE

Ah, well I guess I'll just opt for the engine/trans. I can save the money for the intercooler and the t25/28 while the engine comes in and I rebuild it, and when I start throwing it back together, I can get the intercooler and turbo and wait on them before I put it in. Gonna be doing this when I'm not working so it might be a while for the whole process to happen.
I did find a few places online to get front cuts, but most are in Australia, and either have a high enough shipping fee to make it not worth it, or just don't ship here.
Anyway, I started looking at the RB20 in more detail, and while it's not a 25 or 26, it seems good. Both the CA and RB seem pretty good honestly, so I guess I need to decide on what I want. Done more research on the CA swap and it's easier to perform, but all I'd really need is the r32 crossmember for the RB, and maybe a downpipe. Clutch system, driveshaft, and wiring would need to be done for both.
Osaka sells an RB20 for about 1300 including shipping, and sunrise sells a CA for about 1400 including shipping.
It's not my first swap either, but it is my first putting an engine that's not stock in a car.
Anyway, I guess I'll let you guys know what I decide on and post here for advice or something I may not be able to figure out if I opt for the CA.
Thanks

Buttons06
1990 Nissan 240SX SE

Alright, yeah, screw the RB idea. lol Kinda thought it would've been good for a moment, but the CA is probably better for me - cheaper and easier to work on, and won't have to get the crossmember, pretty good (almost the same right) power potential, and much lighter. So yeah, I'm going to stick with my original idea.

float_6969

I like the RB's, but I think you made a good decision. The parts availability is almost as good as the KA.

Buttons06
1990 Nissan 240SX SE

Yeah, I've always been in love with Skylines and RB engines - they sound amazing and have great power potential (not so much for the 20 though). If I had access to and could afford a RB25 or 26, I'd do the swap in a heartbeat, but I'm on a bit of a budget for the time.

Didn't realize parts were that easy to access for the CA though :o
I guess I'll order the CA on Tues, and go take a trip to a salvage yard for a VSS and S13 speedo or something along those lines. I know I'll hate reading double what my speed actually is. Plus I still need a passenger side headlight, turn signal, and I may just rip the front bumper off - My brother hit a tree when he managed to do all the crap to it and somehow tore them out and to shreds. I mean there's no headlight housing or turn signal housing, and the wires are just kinda hanging out. It looks like crap. :(
Needless to say, my brother is never touching my car again.

ALSO: All I really have to do is follow S13 SR20 to S14 chassis wiring right or is there more to it than that? Read this and that's what I took from it since the SR20 and CA wiring swap is almost the same.

float_6969

Very similar. I have a CA in an S14, but I have a standalone, so I couldn't tell you what you have to do wiring wise.

Buttons06
1990 Nissan 240SX SE

Alright. Guess I'll just keep the FSM's up while I get to that part of the challenge and triple check everything to make sure I'm right.

Buttons06
1990 Nissan 240SX SE

Okay, so I was going to order from sunrise, but they don't have CA18's in stock, and now idk where to go lol
Not sure what companies to trust and all that, and most I've heard or read good things about don't have them in stock. Any suggestions?

Looked around a bit, and saw Flash Options, along with a few others. Did searches for reviews on the companies, and most have mixed reviews. Flash options is cheap though lol - can order a CA18det front clip for 1k, and while some people have had things work out with them, idk if I should trust that I will as well. Apparently people have received the wrong orders, or got blown engines, etc from them. Basically the same thing for half the companies I looked at - some people get what they wanted and maybe some more, others get nothing they wanted, pretty hit or miss kinda thing.

idk I'd like to find a CA locally so I could go and see the engine before I buy it, but that's probably impossible living where I do. :(

Also looked at ebay, but idk about that either. Might be better than ordering from one of these other places though lol

Nichidinho
Car: '97 240sx

did you ever finish this?

Buttons06
1990 Nissan 240SX SE

Hell I never even started it lol
After doing a s14 DE swap to a sohc s13 though it doesn't seem like it'd be very hard. Replace ECU and harness, plug harness to ecu and engine, cut/solder the dash plug of the engine harness to the dash harness and make sure you wire the gauges up to the right wires. idk if the temp sensor or the tach sensor is different on the CA between the ka, but it should work, maybe with the wrong readings though. There may be more wiring you have to solder up to get the fuse box hooked up, but on my swap it was like 3 wires I had to do, so wasn't hard at all.
Then again, idk s*** about the CA wiring so I may be wrong, and it not start. The idea is the same though, just need a wiring diagram to make sure of your s***.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”