CA18DET Swap - No Fuel

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
EdSales87
Car: 1989 Silvia S13

Hey guys, I swapped a CA18DET into my S13 Silvia that had a CA18DE in it. I went to start it, and it wants to, but can't get going. With Starter Fluid, all 4 Cylinders run and its smooth. Once the Starter Fluid is out, I can keep it running with Wide Open Throttle at 1K RPMs that fall slowly, making it seem it's running on 1 Cylinder.

Pulled Coilpacks. Cranked the engine. Pulled Plugs. Cylinder #4 was the only one that was wet.

Pulled Coilpacks. Rotated the CAS, could hear clicking but sounded like it came from the Fuse Box, Cylinder 4 Plug was wet.

I used the CA18DE Harness on the CA18DET. I wired in the Resistor by replacing the Power Wires from the CA18DE Harness with the Wires from the Resistor. The Resistor has power to it from an Inline Fuse that's running from the Engine Bay Fuse Box from the Fuel Pump Fuse.

The Fuel Pump is Priming and Working. Its a Walboro, so it's loud enough to know it working. Also, I can feel the pressure of it priming in the Fuel Lines.

I replaced the CA18DE Injector Clips with those from the CA18DET so that I did not have to modify the Injector Keyway. The Solid Color from the Pig Tail is going to the Resistor, the one with the Black Line through it is sodered into the harness. I have sodered all wires.

Both Feed and Return Lines have fuel in them. I also clamped the lines and tried to start it, same issues.

I bypassed the Resistor Pack on Injectors #1, #2, and #3 to see if they would spray then, they did not. *** I know that the Resistor Pack is on the car for a reason, but I also know its not going to kill the ECU by turning the key for 5 Seconds like that as well ***

I swapped ECUs. No change.

Checked codes. Got Code 55, which means ECU couldn't find a fault.

But, when I turn the Key to the On Position, I notice the Red Light comes on in the ECU. When I try to crank the car, it stays On.

Any ideas? Since I know Cylinder 4 is getting fuel, I'm going to swap the connector from Cylinder 4 to Cylinder 3. If the Injector is bad, the Plug from Cylinder 3 will still be dry. If not, then I have to assume that even though I sodered every connection, that something is not right in Cylinders #1, #2, and #3 in the wiring.

Also, is my 12 Volt Source ok? I do not have a Voltage Meter at this moment, but I have to assume using an Inline Fuse from the Fuel Pump Fuse in the Engine Bay Fuse Box would be a 12 Volt Source to power the Resistor Box.

Thanks for the help in advance.

EdSales87
Car: 1989 Silvia S13

I swapped the Connector from 4 to 3, and Cylinder 3 Plug did not have fuel in it. However, Cylinder 4, with #3 Injector Connector on it, had fuel on the plug. I swapped plugs to make sure that I had placed a dry plug on that Cylinder. I'm stumped. Could 3 Injectors really be bad?

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

borrow/rent a noid light set. They are little light bulbs that have similar resistance as injectors do. You remove the plug from the injector, plug in the noid light, and crank the engine. If the light flashes, the injector is properly wired and the ECU is trying to fire it. Test all 4 injectors in this manner. If they all pass this test, then the issue is either with fuel delivery to the rail, or the injectors themselves. Based on what you've done so far, it sounds like you have a bad set of injectors. I've always tested them by putting power to them and then seeing if you can blow through them. They should be 100% sealed closed when off, and you should be able to blow air through them easily when they're powered up. Don't leave them with power doing to them for a long period of time. They rely on the fuel passing through them to help cool them and you can damage them if left powered up.

Izento
Car: RPS13

This is some good info on fuel injector problems.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”