CA18DET powered E21 BMW 320i

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
NeedCAforS13
Car: E21 320i
HJ75 Land Cruiser

Hey guys. Some of you may remember me, I was a moderator here years ago... it's funny, I've been CA Sean for years around my friends, so it's only fitting I'm gonna be building another one!

ImageUntitled by CA18 Sean, on Flickr

I love CA's, but I really didn't want to get another 240sx. And I've moved on to BMW's over the years. I've always loved BMW styling, I've had an E46 and E36 M3. Now I have an E21 320i. I have the original M10 in it, with a pair of dual sidedraft weber carbs, a cam, header, exhaust. And it moves pretty good. But is probably only making 130hp on a good day. Which is fun for a little while, but I really want to go fast...

So I was searching craigslist the other day (never a good idea) and I found a pair of disassembled CA18's for $250. Complete with transmission, ecu, wiring, etc. I've now ordered CP pistons (84mm, 9.0:1CR), Eagle rods, Tomei headgasket, Tomei 256 poncams, Tomei valve springs, and dropped the block and crank at the machine shop. Still need to decide on turbo and injectors. Going to be running a Motec with a custom wiring harness. A good friend of mine does motorsports wiring and Motec tuning for Porsche racecars and he's helping me on the wiring and tuning side. Power goals are 400whp range. Obviously tiny BMW diff and brakes and suspension isn't going to cut it, so I have front and rear S14 subframes/R200 nismo diff/axles/multilink to replace the antiquated trailing arm BMW setup. Gonna be fun :naughty:

dash
Car: s13 ca18

i remember u, from way back in da day. Don't see the CA18 bringing n e 1 back. A part of their life they wanna 4get :chuckle:
Quite an intense project ahead of you. They have all sorts of euro-CA18 swaps on sxoc older threads
I recall one guy cutting the entire body off a s13, and slid the s13 floor pan under an anglia? Cool result

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Sean and I talked a bit on FB yesterday about this, so I'm already up to date on it, but regardless, it's official now! Welcome back Sean!!!

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

That car looks really good. I love me some old BMWs.

With the rising prices of older BMW models, make sure you hang on to that original drivetrain.

If I remember correctly, you shouldn't have to do much to get the CA to fit in there. The shifter ought to be in pretty much the right place.

Mazda rx7 FC calipers will fit on the front with a super-simple bracket (1/4"x 1" steel plate with 4 holes in a line) so you can get that thing to stop. I think you use vw corrado rotors? Don't quote me on that.

Did I mention I love old BMWs?

Good luck!

NeedCAforS13
HJ75 Land Cruiser

Thanks man! It's just an 1.8 M10. Not terribly desirable to be honest. The Getrag 5 speed is worth some pretty good cash to the 2002 guys though ($1k range). Carbs cost me about a grand too. That's financing at least some of my CA build. Picked up the block from the machine shop yesterday. Still waiting on Tomei to ship the cams, they're saying end of January... Then I'll take the head to the machine shop. Working on the S13/14 suspension conversion. Front is nearly done, rear is coming together well. I'll upload some pics soon :)

float_6969

And you need to update your sig ;)

NeedCAforS13
HJ75 Land Cruiser

I posted a WTB specific CA part in the CA forum that gets 3 posts per month and someone felt the need to move it to Nissan WTB... oh well

Anyone have a parts motor laying around? I'm finally putting together the CA from the two motors I picked up and I seem to have everything except the driver (exhaust) side motor mount bracket. Shoot me an email if you have one you're willing to sell. I have new mounts, just need the actual metal bracket that bolts to the block.

[email protected]

Thanks!
-Sean

float_6969

Hmm, I didn't do it, not sure what happened there... Anyway, I do have a couple of parts motors and I THINK I have 2 of those brackets. Is that the cast one or the stamped steel one? The motor mounts on my engine are so buried under stuff I can't hardly see them to tell the difference.

NeedCAforS13
HJ75 Land Cruiser

I knew it wasn't you. I remember that being an issue back when I was a moderator as well. Lol.

I have the cast one, I need the stamped one :)

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”