Ca18det Emissions

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
S13Drifter

Anyone out there with a ca18det pass emissions? I just want to know 'cause i got to keep my car legal for now atlest and i know the SR most likely will not. I assume that the ca18det is an illegal engine like the sr, but that doesn't matter becuase in chicago they do not look under your hood, well only if you fail 3 times. Anyways i want a turbo engine under hood and i think that ca is going to be better than sr cause i'm only looking for 200-250hp. Thanks.

Daunttless

they burn the same, and at 200-250 horsepower you would be best off with a SR20 or a KA-T.

S13Drifter

well i had just planned for a FMIC and a electronic boost control to get about 200hp (but turn boost back to stock for emission test), but if it can't pass emissions on stock boost then i don't know what i will do. BTW i have a 1990 with a KA24E so a KA-t is out of the question, i just wanted the CA to pass emissions, and then i would do that.

w00t_Masta

Isn't there a substance you can put in your fuel b4 u do your emissions to help you pass? And does every-one who does a swap put on extra stuff for emissions to pass, then take it off after? Because i've heard of people doing that for domestics.....yea, i have a friend that drives a 69 stang, and another a 65 baracuda. But w/out emissions passing there is no point.

Daunttless

Your friends with those classic cars shouldn' thave to pass emissions, they are old enough it doesn't apply to them.

Some people just put in a high flow cat and then put in a test pipe after emissions, you can pass with either engine on stock boost. ( I've heard of being able to do it on higher boost levels, but I'm only going to say stock to be safe )

w00t_Masta

that's cool that they can both pass, and your right my friend w/ the baracuda just got the classic plates like 2 months ago...he's one happy fool.

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

My engine (SR) isnt tuned quite right at the moment but if it was im VERY sure I would pass. I only failed one of the tests and barely at that. I failed the Idle CO emissions 3 times in a row, once without a converter installed and twice with it. I needed a 1.2% or less to pass and i got 1.3%(575rpm), 1.26%(800rpm) and 1.25%(rpm). Other than that my HC and CO at 2500RPMs were all clean as a honda:icesangel . I managed to get a waiver:evilhaha

S13Drifter

Speed Racer how did you get a waiver don't they have to do a a visual inspection to get thoughs. Anyways i do plan to get a ca or sr next summer and then do a few vonlentary test to see what i need to get it down too, but i'm sure i can get it legal. Thanks everyone.

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

Well I spent roughly $400 to get it to pass in the first place so the manager decided he wouldnt care. He didnt check my car and I doubt he knew I had an illegal engine even though some of the workers figured out rather quickly. I was VERY VERY lucky.:wiggle

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”