CA18 Sound?

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
BakGwai

I hear that the CA18 sounds "better" or "nicer" than the Sr20 and I was curious as to if it sounds like a turbo'd civic or more of a beast :D If you could post a link to a sound clip that would be great. Thanks!

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

BakGwai wrote:I hear that the CA18 sounds "better" or "nicer" than the Sr20 and I was curious as to if it sounds like a turbo'd civic or more of a beast :D If you could post a link to a sound clip that would be great. Thanks!

Well, it's gonna sound more so like a Civic than "a beast," but that's cuz it's smaller. However, it is still a far cry from sounding like a Civic. It's just a different sound than the SR or KA is all. The KA sounds more like a beast then either because it's bigger. (Sounds realy mean when boosted ;))

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

I guess the civic with a b series motor sound like a CA18. The only difference is that the CA doesn't use any funky switching of cam lobes (Vtec) to rev past 8000rpm. There's no sudden icrease in RPM like the civic. The CA just revs happily. I rev mine to 9000rpm and it sounds wicked in itself.

Bizz

Could you set up a mic next to your motor and give us a couple rips?

paul_s13

On the dyno all you hear from my CA is the turbo and the exhaust noise :cool:, the engines themselves are fairly quiet, just think of the sound of an SR but without the noisey valvetrain and timing chain. :D

Oh Yeah! Merry Christmas to everyone. :)

BakGwai

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I'm going CA not SR :D Do you think you could link a sound clip or something hehehe Thanks again.

paul_s13

I'll see what I can do.......

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Here's a taste of a CA18DET powered sentra. Listen really good and you'll hear the little T25 straining. BTW, the WRX lost by a full car. http://www.back-yard-productions.com , go to the video vault and click on video 5.

nomore_mr2

hey g.j.(hah jk boost boy) where you been man? been waiting online for like 6 days now and havent seen you on. i need to bother you a little more. get your *** on aim. thanks

1bad180sx

I'm assuming you're talking about the exhaust note, and not the sound of the engine running under the hood.

The CA sounds really deep and mean. It's suprisingly tough sounding for a 1.8 liter motor. If you put a loudazz muffler on it, please use a resonator inline. (pre muffler) That droning will put you to sleep or drive you insane while driving down the road at a constant speed. It starts to sound like a bi-plane after a while cruising.

At idle and revving, it sounds tough as hell though. Much tougher than an SR.

Me personally, I have a very quiet muffler on my SR. Nobody even notices the sound, so they don't expect much. Then the wastegate opens, and I unleash the fury. Heh heh Then its LOUD.

paul_s13

Heres a few samples (MP3) of some CA's

The first one is a sample taken at the rear of a UK 200sx with a Blitz NUR spec and its on the dyno CA exhast note on dyno

Heres a CA at Idle (again with Nur spec) CA idle

And heres my engine when it was on a dyno (and its my friend shouting at the end of the clip :) ) My CA engine on the dyno

paul_s13

All the sounds were taken from the last SXOC dyno day (which I won :D :D :D) the sound of my mates s13 with the RB25 in it is sweeeeet. :cool:

Click to see pictures of the dyno day

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”