CA18 Housing SR20 Tranny internals?

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Jay-Rulz

Is it possible to put SR20 LSD internals in a CA18 bellhousing you think guys?

Me and Pulsar GTR are having tremendous slip problems with our trannies which are just not strong enough! Has anyone successfully used LSD components from an SR20 Tranny before?

Please enlighten US! :D

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential, that's in the round thingy in the back that spins the rubber whatchamacallits, it is not inside your transmission. That's the big thing under the shifter with all the gears and stuff like that.Nissan trannys are very interchangeable, I am building a CA/L hybrid right now. Pay attention to the length of both, the bearing sizes in the front bellhousing and the speedo drive. I had to change the front lower bearing and drill one of the holes in the housing larger. The swap you are talking about might be as simple as unbolting the bellhousing from the SR and bolting on the CA.

nomore_mr2

i have a ca bell housing mated with a sr back half. i bought it this way though and dont really know why the orignal owner did it. i will find out in about a month though when shes running adn tuned.

zed616

I think jay-rulz has a fwd ca18, so that's why he's reffering to the lsd in the tranny.

themadscientist

I hope he does, I want to see a hopped up FWD CA, talk about a Honda killer!

pulsar gtr
Car: NISSAN VEHICLES

Ya Jay rules got a fwd ca18det same as mind, I did have the fwd lsd tranny of a blue bird but I accidently drove over something on the high way and put a whole thru it. I am currently using a stock fwd ca18de tranny, suprisingly, I am doing better 1/4 mile with it than the lsd one. When I had my lsd one, I used to finish my 1/4 mile at 7000rpm on the third gear, with 14.7sec 1/4 mile, now with the ca18de tranny I finish the 1/4 mile on the fourth gear at 6200rpm and my 1/4 mile is 14.3 secs. mind you I do spin my tires alot more than the lsd.

I looked into swapping the bell housind from a 90 Stanza GXE which has an lsd tranny, it is doable, I had both trannies siting side by side, but the guy was asking a lot of money for the stanza tranny.

I also looked at the fwd sr20det tranny which is identical to the Stanza one.

PULSAR GTR

themadscientist

likely different gear ratios in the non-LSD one. I would love to build an old 4 door sentra with a hopped up CA but with the steering wheel on the right I have the long spindly shaft under my feet, not cool.

johnpoppy

how much hp can the tranny stand on the ca, on the sr ive heard l ike 350-450?

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

I own two 4 door sentras with CA18DET's and I was able to run a 13.9 with mad wheel spin using the bluebird non-lsd on regular street tires. I was surprised when you said you have a CA18DET tranny that already came with a LSD differential because I was under the impression that they don't exist. Anyway, why in god's name would you want to even think of playing with that crappy Sr20 FWD tranny when it all they do is break. It's diff is viscous as opposed to the stanza and maximas mechanical which is swappable (Done already for both gear-boxes with machining to the bellhousing). The CA's tranny is almost indestructible in the fact that I've exploited that thing in almost everyway possible. The JDM tranny is a bit different from the U.S. and I found this out the hard way when I experimented with a Phantom grip LSD add-on. Don't set yourself up for failure with that SR20. The CA18 revvs too high for what that tranny was built to handle.Quote »I want to see a hopped up FWD CA, talk about a Honda killer![/quote] This is old news and so are all hondas/Acuras including the infamous S2000. My top end is ridiculous! I fear none of the big boys and I do mean none.

P.S. Both my sentra have rear disc brakes as well;)Quote »how much hp can the tranny stand on the ca[/quote] My girl's car (before I wrecked it) put out 312.5whp at 18 psi so equate what that adds up to at the crank.

themadscientist

the S2000 fell short of the mark. I tangled with one in my first skyline GTS-T. I was behind him when he nailed it and boy did I expect to much from that car! i almost rear-ended him when I dropped the hammmer. 12-year old bone stock RB20 versus vaunted Honda, what a joke!

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”