CA vs SR20 into 71 4 door...

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
sclay115

sort of up in the air about this. first started to look at sr's, and the new drift craze has shot the prices up considerably higher than a few years ago. anyone running the ca18det in their 510? i like the fact that it has an iron block, and that it isnt just another sr20. anyone have any experience with the ca in an older datsun?

datsunboy
Car: Datsuns

awesome motors!!!a lot of people think SR's are better than CA's....but they're not!

CA's have far seperior design!plus, they are physically smaller ( easier to fit and work on in a old datto )and also 28kg lighter!

I have one in my 1970 4door 1600 ( P510 ), I love it.....they love to rev more than the SR, and go absolutely nuts

sclay115

that is what i hear, one of my friends has one in his s13, and it's so relieving not to see 'another' sr under the hood. and i have also a twin cam aw11 mr2, so revs are something it's hard to live without

do you have any more photos of your swap?

datsunboy
Car: Datsuns

not at the moment sorry.....my home PC died.....I have some on CD tho....just gotta get around to bringing them to work....lol

sssrdub
Car: b-ball,cars, girls

I have a friend with a CA18 in his dime and it has been horrendous! They are cool if you dont plan on making more than 300hp with them! That is the limit for the headgasket's. He has gone thru 3 motors and 5 headgaskets at only 279rwhp. The block and head hold up fine its just the headgasket that is the weak link. They just dont seal right. Oh and he has tried aftermarket ones!!!

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”