C1 A06 operation SW CIRC

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
ukrkoz

I have 2011 QX56 for 5 days by now.
ICC will not engage.
All proper lights come up in the dash, saying CRUISE or DCC but pressing down enter button produces no result. Orange CRUISE light lights in the dash above.
Yesterday though, I managed to engage it, to my surprise. Out of curiosity, day before, I cleaned that sonar glass in the grill. Maybe that did the trick.
Anyhow, I re scanned system today and I still have C1 A06 operation SW CIRC DTC. Apparently, some circuit switch error.
Again, NO info online at all.
Any ideas? Truck, so far, sits in the property, as I slowly work my ways through those issues.
Thank you

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That's a steering switch code, you either have a stuck button on the steering wheel or (more likely) your spiral cable is going bad.

ukrkoz

Thank you. When you say, spiral cable, do you mean the - what they call it, clock spring? - or, the physical cable inside the steering column connecting it to the controls?

ukrkoz

Will it be prudent to spray some electronic parts cleaner into the switch? Maybe previous owner spilled something on it. What is peculiar, all other switches above and below it work fine, so it must have been a spot spill to hit exactly the Enter button.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yes, the clockspring. You can try parts cleaner, but the switches being open-circuit won't cause the DTC. Normally they're supposed to be open, the DTC comes from one or all of them being closed when it shouldn't or an open circuit causing abnormal bias voltage. A collapsed or shorted switch will cause the former, an open ground or "common" connection in the wiring will cause the latter. The whole circuit runs through the clockspring, and a failure there is a lot more common than a shorted/collapsed switch.

ukrkoz

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:09 am
Yes, the clockspring. You can try parts cleaner, but the switches being open-circuit won't cause the DTC. Normally they're supposed to be open, the DTC comes from one or all of them being closed when it shouldn't or an open circuit causing abnormal bias voltage. A collapsed or shorted switch will cause the former, an open ground or "common" connection in the wiring will cause the latter. The whole circuit runs through the clockspring, and a failure there is a lot more common than a shorted/collapsed switch.
OK, just grasping to a straw here. What it means then, if a day before yesterday, CC worked? Jerky, but did. The code still is there. In my mind, it points towards some intermittent issue, right? Bad contact somewhere.
I hate electrical issues. I am dumm electrically, I am good mechanically. And, as I type, don't have reasonable and honest electrician. Not going dealer route, that's forget it.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Spiral cables rarely fail all at once. Intermittent operation before complete failure is the norm.

ukrkoz

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:19 am
Spiral cables rarely fail all at once. Intermittent operation before complete failure is the norm.
I see. Just for final clarification, when you say "spiral cable", you refer to the clockwork or to the physical cable from SW to BCM?

ukrkoz

And I really appreciate your help. REALLY.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The spiral is a flexible printed circuit wound like a clockspring to allow the electrical signals to reach the steering wheel without needing rotating contacts. If you want to see how one looks and works, this gentleman disassembled one from an R52 Pathfinder as part of a project:
https://www.thenissanpath.com/topic21545.html

ukrkoz

That code is gone too. I drove truck for about an hour, on and off. Cruise works.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”