Buying TT car, 54k miles, blown engine

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
hunter10283

Hey guys, a friend and I are about to invest in a 91 TT car with low miles. We know almost nothing about this particular car but it seems to be well taken car of and the miles checks out. Interior is immaculate. My question is where would be the best place to search for an engine. A quick ebay search shows jdm sells them for about $3000 but im not familiar with these cars so im not sure of what my options are. So my question is While we have the Engine out what type of Maintenance do we need to perform while the engine is out. Stuff that is totally necessary. I know these cars are expensive for parts and not exactly easy to work on. All advice and info is greatly appreciated.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Your best bet is to have the current engine rebuilt if it rebuildable or buy one from IPP, Z1, or the like because the jdm engines regardless of how good they look or what the vendor tells you will have an unknown past and could have been beaten.

hunter10283

NolimitZ32 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:09 pm
Your best bet is to have the current engine rebuilt if it rebuildable or buy one from IPP, Z1, or the like because the jdm engines regardless of how good they look or what the vendor tells you will have an unknown past and could have been beaten.
Thanks for the reply. The problem with rebuilding it is we just really don't have any information about it besides it is locked up. We don't want to get into it and not be able to rebuild considering we are not doing the work ourselves. The man was in the army and is unable to work on them anymore. He has two. This one is for sale. Black and a very clean car. I personally would rather rebuild to keep the car together. Its just a big ??? To me as im still researching the cars but the more i look at it the more i want to keep it.

hunter10283

Just found out the car has already had work done at z1. Probably going to send it up to them to have everything done!

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

In a nutshell, if you want to be 100% sure that it wont quit on you then you should start with a fresh rebuild, where the block comes from is of little consequence. Throwing an unknown condition high performance used engine into a car is a gamble.

Az32
Car: 300zx TT 1990

1 thing i like to add:

this is a 1991.. so it might not have it. but good think to look for when rebuilding. It is the "soft valve" issues, it will cause low compression after some years, so good idea to replace if it does have them.
issue was seen in the 89-90 heads i believe

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/f ... my-TT.html

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”