Buying a G35, any G35 specific things to look for? Please advise

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
Maxmil982
Car: 2005 Nissan Altima SE 3.5

I’m in the market for a used car~5K. I’m leaning heavily to a 2003-2007 G35. Anyone have any specific things to look for during the test drive and inspection, that could be a common trouble issue. For instance my last used car was an 05 Altima 3.5 that ended up crapping completely out due to a broken ground cable at the tranny under the battery tray (apparently it was a common issue that ended up frying my cars entire electrical system to where a complete engine wiring harness swap and multiple dealer and non-dealer mechanics could never fix.

Also convince me not to get a G35 in the first place, I’d be open to any other RWD car that’s just as fast and realiable.

jnovuse
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 6MT

I say get one, regardless. Do the standard look around, check for rust, oil leaks, check behind engine and valve covers/heads. Really listen to the motor, a light pitter patter is fine, but loud ticking can be a sign of bad things to come..

Take an extended drive, I had a G35 that sounded perfect, until it warmed up, and there was a knock in the engine.

Remember, everything that is broken, is gonna be a pain and money to fix, and it isn't cheap.

$1K+ for Timing Chain, $4-5k for Engine Replacement.

I bought mine, from a half shady dealer, fully knowing I would need to do some work on it, because I am lucky to be in a place I can get the work done.

But if you are wanting a reliable car right now, and don't have the funds to fix stuff, really pay attention to that engine, and the smoothness of it.

Rogueman4
Car: 2017 Rogue 2.0 L

that's a risk and can be costly. If you can do stuff yourself and/or have a friend who has a garage/shop then you should be good. Get it inspected by a mechanic first to get an idea and then learn how to do stuff yourself, from oil, tranny, fluids, coolants, filters, I would just change everything here, for a 2007, I am guessing the later the year the less the mileage...I would go for an 07 and flush it out...

https://www.searchforparts.com/oil-chan ... .5l-vq35de

at the end of the day it is all luck. I have purchased a car with high mileage and it worked out, purchased a car with low mileage and I was broke for a year! (old bmw)

infinitispeed2022
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35

Maxmil982 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:53 am
I’m in the market for a used car~5K. I’m leaning heavily to a 2003-2007 G35. Anyone have any specific things to look for during the test drive and inspection, that could be a common trouble issue. For instance my last used car was an 05 Altima 3.5 that ended up crapping completely out due to a broken ground cable at the tranny under the battery tray (apparently it was a common issue that ended up frying my cars entire electrical system to where a complete engine wiring harness swap and multiple dealer and non-dealer mechanics could never fix.

Also convince me not to get a G35 in the first place, I’d be open to any other RWD car that’s just as fast and realiable.
I know this is late. For anyone wanting to buy a G35 first drive it for a good half hour after visual inspection. Second plug a OBD2 scanner to read all of the codes from the ECU. This will give you a great idea of how well kept the car has been. I bought a s*** car and I have about 20 codes and will cost aproximately 1300 dollars to fully replace all of the codes. This doesn't include tires, wheel hub assemblies, shocks, interior work, exterior body panels etc. All in all, probably 2000 grand to fully fix. Seriously inspect it. If it looks slightly off or really rough condition, don't risk it man.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”