Buyin my first BRANDNEW Versa note, adivse tips before hitt

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
chellbelle
Car: Nissan Versa Note SV 2014-15

LOVE Nissans, My last car being a Nissan sentra 2008...unfortunately a dumptruck tried to give me a hug and resulted in the total loss of my baby girl. :(
( I was able to walk away with a crap load of bruises, whiplash and general aches thankful )

...So now Im in the market to get a new car, Im a full-time med student and I have to commute quite a bit home and up to college and to my clinical sites. So I naturally Im looking to have a comfortable, gas saving, car that's got a pep to her step. I've been doing a lot a research and reading everyone's posts on here about the versa which have been helpful. I've got my sights set on a Versa Note SV.

But I would really appreciate any advice, tip, and helpful information about buying a new car. In the past "I've bought all of my used Nissans from non-nissan dealers, but buying brand new is a whole new arena. ..Help?
Thanks in advance :))

kruuth

I just bought one myself. I went with the basic Versa model and then did the upgrades myself. The only thing that I really miss coming from the Altima Coupe is the keyless entry/start. I'm looking into ways to add that right now.

MrWiggles
Car: 2014 Nissan Versa Note S 5 Speed

I just purchased a 2014 Nissan Versa Note S a few weeks ago. I paid about $16,000 at the end with GAP insurance, mud flaps and the mats. Decent car with little to go wrong. The 5 speed manual makes this car a lot more fun to drive then the CVT. I haven't had any problems getting up to speed on the highway. As for the dealership, I can't say too much since I didn't have a lot of options with my credit score. Just know what a good price for the car is, know the options you really need and move on from there. It only took me an hour or so to finish the paper work and leave the lot with my new car. It wasn't a hard process at all. Just make sure you read the fine print and make sure the salesmen aren't trying to rape you with hidden costs. Some dealerships are horrible while others are great.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

When I bought my first Versa eight years ago, I'd driven manuals for about 750,000 miles and expected to get another. Then I test drove the CVT, because at that point the Versa was brand new and that was all they had. As well, it was rated as having better mileage than the manual. I loved it, and we've now had four nearly identical ones in the family, from 2007 to 2012.

However, I wouldn't call it peppy, and the Note has an even smaller engine. I did test drive a Note, though, and can't say it feels any weaker than the original HB, but the body has also been changed to make it lighter, so that helps to make up for it. But I imagine the manual would be more fun to drive. Of course, "fun" and "peppy" usually equate to poorer mileage, so there's that trade-off.

As for dealers, even if you've got a decent one, economical cars are in high demand and the the small cars don't have much markup, so you can't expect to get the price talked down very much. Sometimes they have rebates available, and even discounts for students, but as the others say, watch out for fees. And look for a local mechanic you can trust for after the warranty runs out. They're usually cheaper than the dealer, even using OEM parts.

Tacuvito
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

First, get your car loan pre-approved from somewhere other than the dealer. Check True Car. com and compare. Set a price you want to pay with all the stuff you want in the car. Get it loaded, that way you won't be lamenting what you could have had. last, Enjoy the ride.

txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

Glad to hear you walked away with only bruises.

The best deals to be had right now are on the 2014s, of course. I bought a Versa Note S, which is pretty stripped down -- 5 speed manual, crank windows, no Sirius, no USB (although it does have an aux input), basically manual everything, and the only option I got was floormats. What can I say, I'm cheap. Walked out at $12,900, 3 miles on the odometer, which I was thrilled with.

If you're looking for peppy, remember this car has a 1.6 l engine with only 109 HP. Max torque is at 4000 rpms. 0 to 60 in just under 10 seconds, so it's not built for road rallies. For an involved driving experience get the 5 speed manual. The CVT (I drove one) is pretty responsive from a dead stop, and the computer makes it act like it has a downshift if you stomp on the pedal at highway speeds, but it will not set the world on fire. The 5 speed is a bit more fun, but you give up about 4 hwy mpg's versus the CVT. But it's also about $1500 less. Downshifting to 4th will give you all the power you need.

I'm an mpg nut, that's why I bought the car. I drive it gently, and am getting 34 in mixed driving. It will go if you ask it to, but the engine will complain a little bit. I have had no issues with freeway merging or passing. It is adequate for those tasks. Most impressive to me is the quiet cabin and smooth ride -- best I have experienced in a small car. Back seat space is simple unbelievable, and the cargo space (hatchback) is almost as good as the Honda Fit.

When you go to the dealer, know what options you want, and have in mind your drive out price. For the 2014's you have a bit of bargaining power. Stick to your guns until you get what you want. They need to sell them especially at month end, when the dealer bonuses need to be met.

Good luck to you!

trdmrk86
Car: Nissan Versa

My Versa was my first new ride too. I used Costco's auto program and also TrueCar.com. Costco's program refers you to specific dealers they network with. I felt it cut down the BS. TrueCar was a few hundred lower, so I used that to haggle an even better deal. Nice perk was after buying, Costco mailed me an additional $200 voucher to that dealer, which I was able to buy parts or accessories. In the end I was very pleased.

CPJ LB
Car: 12 G37X Sedan- stealthy modded
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

I have to agree with everyone, just set your budget and stick to it. The other thing to remember is: 'what will be the main purpose of the car?' Some will use it as a daily driver, commuter car, weekend car, etc...

I shopped around until I pulled the trigger on my Versa. I wanted a 'basic' model since it was going to be a commuter car that the family can use, when needed. I have the Silver 4dr with roll-up windows, CVT, basic stereo. I've put on window tint (limo and dark), aftermarket car alarm with auto door locks. I will be adding the Parrot Blue Tooth system (MKi9100) this month.

Overall, I'm happy with the Versa. Being a repeat customer (previously picked up an Altima), I got a great deal on it from Hooman Nissan in Long Beach CA.... In addition, I get free oil changes and car washes on both Nissans.... if I can only get free oil changes on my M :gapteeth:

bwvan
Car: Nissan Versa Note '14
Nissan Rogue SV '15

I hope you have bought your Note by now. I've had mine since July '13 (54,000 miles!!) with zero problems. Perfect vehicle for commuter. Way more cabin room than competitors. Enjoy!!

Return to “Versa General Chat”