Burning smell from engine

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Kash
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 FWD

Hi

I have been driving my new Nissan Rogue 2009 SL FWD for last three months now. I have driven it for around 2700 miles by now,

I have noticed mild to medium burning smell coming from under the hood when ever I drive it for say 30 + miles. The smell is somewhat i mix of rubber and oil burning and a bit stronger than what I had in my previous non Nissan cars.

I did go for oil change at 1000 miles and after that the smell has somewhat reduced but still its strong enough to make me think about it.

Is it normal ? Do I need to be concerned about it ?Thanks

bsweetness
Car: Rogue

I've noticed the same thing with my 2009 SL FWD that I purchased back at the end of January. The same smell also faintly comes through if I've got the heat on and come to a complete stop for a short period of time with the engine still running, such as at a traffic light.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

This is completely normal for new vehicles, and after I bought mine i started the same thread on this forum, so if you search for it you'll find numerous responses indicating that this is normal. It shouldn't last more than a few months though, but it depends on how much you drive, and if you take it for some long highway trips it should go away faster than if you drive short city trips.... nothing to worry about, it'll go away in a few months!!

Here's the link to my original thread:zerothread/331723

philipa_240sx

The burning smell although not pleasant is normal. It's likely some of the undercoating that is being evaporated by heat from the engine and exhaust. It will slowly disappear after several weeks. I noticed this smell for about the first 3 months I owned my Rogue.

If you notice heavy smoke... then I would pull over and get clear of the vehicle as you likely have a bigger problem!

Return to “Rogue Forum”