Burning smell and ticking noise 2016 Rogue SV

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
darrylwmiller
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Recently I noticed a burning smell coming from under the hood when I park in the garage. I can also hear a ticking noise coming from the engine area. I have traced the smell down to somewhere around the engine. Lately, it seems like it is louder under the hood than it was before. When I turn off the car I can also hear a slight wine for 1 second when the serpentine belt comes to a complete stop. Not sure what I should be looking for, any ideas? The rogue has 65,000km on it and has had regular oil changes at 6,500km intervals.

I have uploaded a 12-second clip to my youtube with the ticking sound I was referring to. Also attached is a photo of where the smell is coming from.

https://youtu.be/ERYZUaFQmgk
20220427_103001.jpg

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Make the video not private. :slap:

darrylwmiller

I guess that would help haha. Thanks, and it is public now.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I'm not saying this is normal, but since the beginning of the rogues, I never really noticed, but eventually if I opened my hood and really listened with my ocd hearing, my eardrums would bee-line to that ticking sound. Imho, it's the crappy sound of the cvt.

But with the hood closed, I don't really try to focus on the engine sound. It's how it normally sounds. Moreover, my rogue drives buttery smooth, and while in the cabin, I can't even tell if my engine is on at times, that i have to look at my rpm gauge to make sure it's on. Many of times I have grinded my engine because of this. :bang

Can't tell if those are oil marks, but it may be time to replace the valve cover gasket. :wavey:
Change your oil brand. Perhaps.

darrylwmiller

Yeah, I definitely have OCD when it comes to how the car runs and sounds. It drives fine and no issues, just concerned with the burning smell and feeling like something is running hotter than it should. Glad to hear the noise is "normal" though.

Return to “Rogue Forum”