Burning Oil at idle 82' Z22 Kingcab w/ Standard Trans.

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
burtandurny101

Well my little beast of an 1982 kingcab burns oil at idle (blue smoke).
Generally it is worse during warm up and *better* after driving around a bit.
PCV valve looks new, passed the shake test, cleaned it anyway, also have a new one yet to be installed.....

I have yet to do a compression test or leak down test but plan on doing it maybe this weekend. . . . It runs very strong, has good vacuum (and the steadiest needle I've ever seen).

I am thinking it is the Valve stem seals, anybody have some input here?

How could I diagnose it to pinpoint the leak? If it is blow-by or the valve seals wouldn't I hear a hiss from the same place during a leak down test?

My running plan thus far is wait to see if an oil seal expander (bars leak) helps even a little bit (I think it actually is!) it would tell me it is the valve seals not the rings or head. Is this a fair assumption? If no result Ill replace with 20-50W oil. I live in oregon so freezing temperatures dont happen to often and my truck has a starter button so i can prime the oiling system without the ignition on during the wintry months.

Has anybody joshed around with the valves on these motors before? The whole rocker assemply would have to come off so i would have to do a (hopefully only once) valve-lash adjustment. Pain in the a** but doable.

I'll get back to ya'll about the Snake-Oil, compression and leak down test results.
Tools and things i have, money for mechanics and major components not so much.
-Burt

Return to “Datsun 720”