Burn out

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Juelze
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360 AWD

Hey there,

Just curious how much damage you can do from popping the clutch and "squawking" the tires. I know they aren't good for cars but today I was with my younger brother and I had to rev up the RPMs and drop the clutch to chirp the tires. That will probably be the first and only time I will do that in my Versa as I want it to last. I've done it in my Grand Am quite a few times but again it's something that I knew wasn't great for my car so I had to avoid it. If anything this was an essential "de-virginization" of my Versa.

Since we are on the topic of "beating" on cars. What can you do to void your warranty with the Versa? I know new cars have that data box in them so they can tell you how high you revved your car, the top speed you attained, etc. Can dealers check that stuff and say "You went 100mph, we aren't going to cover this part for you?" I mean so long as you don't red line the car everyday I don't see what could cause your car to get flagged.

Thoughts?

-Juelze

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Honestly, I seriously doubt redlining the car will result in a drop of warranty coverage. We're not exactly "soft" drivers around here, and all our cars see redline regularly (mine does several times a day) but we've never had trouble with warranty coverage.

Burnouts are hard on your tires and clutch, but I wouldn't get too paranoid about doing major damage just from burnouts.

Aside from that, wide open throttle and the occasional trip to redline are GOOD for your car, not bad for it. It's kind of like your body--excercise is a good thing. Yeah, there can be too much of a good thing if you're not in good shape, but it's still a good thing.

As for speed...I'm not sure what Nissan's "flight recorder" equipment on the car is capable of recording. I know on the New Maxima it records your average speed over an set trip, so the cars are certainly capable. But at the same time, we drive our cars fairly "spiritedly" around here and have yet to have any problems with getting warranty items covered.

Juelze
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360 AWD

Thanks for the info Minister. I guess I'm paranoid about the burnout I did but as I mentioned in my previous post, it was probably a one time thing. My dad used to tell me that doing a burnout can wreck the CV joints on a car. My POS GM car took a beating well, I'm sure my Versa will hold up much better after only one measly burnoout.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Doing a lot of burnouts could cause the CV joints to wear faster than normal, but I wouldn't worry about a burnout now and then doing them in.

Return to “Versa General Chat”