Bumper refinish and new lights

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
DeanM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport 1 or 2 mods

Front bumper was getting beat up from all the road trips so pulled the bumper off, sanding, filled all the little dings and primed:

First color coat:

Clear coats:

While I was waiting for the paint to dry I decided to redo the headlights. I went away from the solid bar for the DRL to the individual LEDs with switchback for the turn signal:
DRL and you can also see the HID projector with halo in the stock fog housing (modified of course):

Stock fog housing with HID projector and halo:

Turn signal:

Side view -- since I was in there I also added LEDs to the amber parking light. I always hated how the stock setup just had a bit of light at the bottom only:

All lights (DRL, headlight, fog) on:

Still nee to finish the grill emblem, alittle more buffing and the fog surrounds (deleted the chrome bezel that snapped in, filled in the holes and now need to paint).

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Nice work! :yesnod

Z

cruzad3r
Car: 2006 M35x fully loaded

nice and this was done at home by you?

DeanM45

cruzad3r wrote:nice and this was done at home by you?
Yep, I do all the work on my cars myself at home.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

DeanM45 wrote:
cruzad3r wrote:nice and this was done at home by you?
Yep, I do all the work on my cars myself at home.
Awesome! :dblthumb:

DeanM45

Had to run some errands - picture during the bright day - leds are plenty bright:

Will finish up the emblem and fog surrounds tonight!

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

Looks great! I wish I had the equipment to repaint my bumper. I had it repainted a couple of years ago after a parking lot encounter and the repaint job has not held up well. I really like the halo look on your fog lights. I just ordered the Retrofit LED fog lights and look forward to installing and testing them.

DeanM45

kmiles wrote:Looks great! I wish I had the equipment to repaint my bumper. I had it repainted a couple of years ago after a parking lot encounter and the repaint job has not held up well. I really like the halo look on your fog lights. I just ordered the Retrofit LED fog lights and look forward to installing and testing them.
Compressor, HVLP gun, water filter, hose, LOTS of tarps (to cover stuff in the garage), fresh air respirator (or 3M paint respirator at minimum) and sandpaper. There really is not much that is needed to paint. I had been running HID foglights with halo rings on them for a while. While I was working on the headlights I looked over into my "bin of parts" and saw the stock fogs there. Cut the back off (hole saw) and removed the reflector. Got out the file and matched the housing to the HID projectors. Mounted the halo ring inside the housing, set the projector in and then sealed everything up (a moldable industrial epoxy that I use at work that is stable to 250 degrees F -- if I need to replace the halos or do something else I can use a heat gun to open them back up).
All the work on do on my cars can be done at home -- might take longer than if you had a shop but it can be done.

bakili
Car: 2006 M35 Sport

Looks great! Respect a man that can do work on cars himself. My 06 original bumper is looking beat up as well and lost its luster. I'm gonna use your breakdown of tools you listed as my check list to prep for the same. Like your LED upgrades and mods to fog lights.

2007infinitim45s
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 S

can you possibly post a how to for the custom day time running headlights would greatly be appreciated

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Unfortunately, Dean passed a while back. This is only one of many, many mods he perfected. He is sorely missed by us all. Good keep him.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”