Bullydog 93 Before and After

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
DFW2011M56S
Car: 2011 M56S

Just thought I would post a little comparison I made for Stock tune + 2° advance vs Bullydog 93 tune with +4° advance. I left with my brake stall to try to give it a fighting chance off the line. I left at a higher RPM on the stock tune than the Bullydog. Bullydog broke the tires loose alot more easily and jolted the car while ripping the tires pretty hard going into 2nd gear as well. I can notice a sound difference as well. Stock tune runs about 11.6:1 afr, Bullydog about 12.2. Bullydog runs noticeably higher timing values down lower in the RPM range but not much more than stock at higher RPMs. Needs some wider/softer/stickier tires out back in a bad way. Wheelspin you can feel past 50 mph on either tune even with the traction control on. Videos were made a couple of minutes apart on the exact same section of road in a safe area in "Mexico". Cutouts obviously closed, don't want to attract any police attention from 2 miles away, lol! So much for those that claim you cannot run a moded car on a stock tune with good results, IMO. The stock tune might even be a shade quicker than the Bullydog because the car actually hooks better without the added low-midrange torque the Bullydog gives. Open cutouts would have made it hook even worse, FWIW.

Stock Tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waA7-6_N7OQ

Bullydog 93 Tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8TJ2kFAF-Q

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Getting a dyno anytime to see numbers difference?

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

DFW2011M56S wrote:Just thought I would post a little comparison I made for Stock tune + 2° advance vs Bullydog 93 tune with +4° advance....So much for those that claim you cannot run a moded car on a stock tune with good results, IMO.
Thanks for the videos, sounds like good runs. I never said that modded cars wouldn't run good with a stock tune; I said that they could run better with a custom tune, and/or advancing the timing as you suggested.

Also, when I say "stock" I mean as the car as it came from the factory/dealer, not stock + 2 degrees timing advance or adding resistors, Nismo thermostats etc. Maybe I should've clarified that from the start.

walt1227
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56S

I think it runs faster with the stock tune visually and by sound of engine. I believe that bullydog tune is slower and I can hear the difference in how the engine is responding. Call me crazy but I would almost bet that prolong use of the bullydog tune could cause engine damage. It just makes the car seem like it is trying to do something it was not meant to do. Listening to it several times I can honestly say that stock tune is a lot more open and it seems to be breathing much better.

DredM56
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56 2004 Subaru Wrx STi

They don't have drag strips in Mexico?

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

Mine actually runs pretty good now that the sport mufflers are broken in and the engine has adjusted to my current set up. I believe it will be even better once I get the HPS intake hoses. After that, I will drive it around for a while to see how it runs, then I will be ready to try either the advanced timing as DFW2011M56S suggested or a custom tune. I like doing things one step at a time. I believe that the 2 degrees timing change can be done with Consult at the dealership (if I can talk my tech into doing it for me) This way I can see if I like how it runs, and change it back if I don't like it, and not spend a lot of money.

DFW2011M56S

walt1227 wrote:I think it runs faster with the stock tune visually and by sound of engine. I believe that bullydog tune is slower and I can hear the difference in how the engine is responding. Call me crazy but I would almost bet that prolong use of the bullydog tune could cause engine damage. It just makes the car seem like it is trying to do something it was not meant to do. Listening to it several times I can honestly say that stock tune is a lot more open and it seems to be breathing much better.
The reason it sounds strangled on Bullydog is because frankly it is. It ALOT more torque and the traction control pulls alot of throttle opening to help keep the tires from spinning which they still do. With the traction control off Saturday morning it was 60°F outside and I was spinning at 80 mph on the top of a ramp. Only thing I am honestly worried about hurting is the CV halfshafts or differential. I do not see any knock activity running the Bullydog tune. Once you get rolling there is a very noticeable difference. I gained 4 mph in the 1/8 back to back with the Bullydog at the track.

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

Using UpRev to accomplish this it has been found that the ECU eventually corrects the timing back to the original setting. Does the Bullydog negate this?

DFW2011M56S

If the timing is retarding itself back to the stock settings it most likely means that the ECU is reverting back to its low octane timing map. The switch back to that map is based on knock activity. If the fuel quality is bad, the engine too hot, or the tune too lean the knock sensors will pickup detonation and the ECU will switch itself back to the low octane map. On both my 2012 and 2014 Titans the Normal and Low Octane Timing maps were set the same, but many older trucks I have looked at had reduced values in the Low Octane MAP. I am not sure what qualifiers have to be met to get back out of the low octane mapping. On my 2002 GM LS1 based ECU that is in my 1997 Express van with dual timing maps, if it senses slight detonation it will interpolate the values between the two timing tables based on the severity of the knock but if the knock activity is persistent, will drop down to the low octane map. Once it is running on the low octane map, the GM ECU requires that fuel be added to the tank before it will run on the normal aka high octane mapping again. I will say I do not know for sure if the Nissan / Infiniti ECU is the same, but I have a pretty good idea that a similar qualifier is in place. On a modified engine I usually tune both spark maps to be the same values.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”