Building a Time Attack VQ for Competition - in a B15

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
smokinjoe
Car: B15 Track Car, B13 Lemons Car

Last year, I won the NASA National Championship (TTE) in very mild B15 Spec-V (w 180whp). So this year we received approval to run a VQ35 in the B15 with a two class bump, so we'll be racing against Elises and M3s in TTC.

I picked up an 02 VQ - and finished all the wiring, mounts, bellhousing, etc. I relocated the Alternator to the AC compressor location and lowered the motor for a better CG. It's running an 04 Spec-V tranny, 04 Max ECU with UpRev protuner. My questions to the forum are how should I build the motor for longevity? The car is gutted, caged - so things like a heater, cruise, etc are non issues. FYI - the motor cannot make more than 257whp, otherwise we'll be disqualified in TTC. They have dynos at the track and run GPS' in the cars to pick out cheater motors.

I picked up a lot of good info on this forum already but I've got about one week to get the motor together and in the car before turning to the suspension, and getting it ready for its debut at CMP in early Feb.

This is what I plan on doing:1. Plenum Spacers from Aaron2. 350Z clutch and PP3. Fidanza flywheel4. OBX VQ30 headers and midpipe (not the shorties). I assume the Altima SER headers wont clear the torque brace?

Questions:Can I run the RevUp oil pump from the RWD VQ?Should I mod the thermostat to run cooler? Whats the best way?Would a VQ30 oil pan increase the oil capacity or prevent starvation?Can I run a larger TB that will work with my ECU?Should I mod the intake or change it (350 intake)? These two questions relate to how can I get the motor close to 257whp.How high can I safely rev the motor and advance the timing?

Any other ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'll post some race results if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP1c32x7cno

SteveRB240sx
Car: 1990 240sx -R32 RB26Dett powered.

sounds like a very nice build, although i dont know much to anything about the vq i was mainly commenting b/c of your participation in NASA TTE, something ive been prepping my car for. How competitive is it down south, and did you qualify for super lap battle or have you considered running in that?

wa2good
Car: too many to list

wow, sorry I didn't find this thread earlier......

Let me know if you need any help.

How is the progress on this????

sr_240sx
Car: 1989 240sx w/SR20DET and 2003 Altima SE 3.5L

Are you running a VQ30 or 35????? my email is [email protected]

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”