Building a 710 with a 5.7L V-8

Here you'll find topics regarding the Datsun B210, 310, 610, 710, 810, 1200, and lots of other models - All are welcome!
007BIG3
Car: 1974 Datsun 710

Hello everyone. I was doing some research the other day and making some calculations on how much it was going to cost me to build up my 5 Speed L20B with the U67 head. Well hear are some of the things and prices
***************** Fixing L20B **************************

Long tube headers = $ 305
Intake and dual Side draft webers = $ 1000
Port and Polish Head = $ 200
Fidanza Flywheel = $ 335
Clutch and Pressure Plate = $ 150
Block Reconditioning = $ 600
Aluminum Radiator with Elec. Fan = $ 300
Exhuast from Headers Back = $ 200
Cam = $ 225

Total = $ 3315

**********************************350 V-8 ********************************

Fuel Inj. 5.7 L V-8 & 700R4 Trans include wires and ECM = $ 800
Custom Motor Mounts and Brackets = $ 200
Dual Exhuast from stock Headers Back = $ 300
Custom Aluminum Radiator and Eletric Fans = $ 400

Total = $ 1700

My estimates for the built L20b are maybe 180hp and 200 lb ft of torque.

The Stock 5.7 liter V-8 is rated at 210 hp and 300 lb ft of torque.

Yes I know I didn't mention the suspension / brake upgrade I need for either project but thats where you guys come in. I've decided to go with the big V-8 since its obviously Cheaper and it packs alot more bang for the buck. Im sure it'll be alot more reliable as well considering that it will be kept completely stock. What I need to know is if the 280Z Brake rotors and Calipers are direct bolt ons to my stock setup? Also any suggestions on a front suspension setup would be greatly aprriciated. Thanks alot guys.

z210
Car: datsun b210

it's not cheaper to go v8. aside from the front suspension set up, have you thought about the rear end? how much power do think the rear will take? There's another 1000. So you plan on using stock headers? try again, custom headers are in order, or if you can fab your own then great if not add then another 300 to 400. then there's your efi fuel system requirements. you are going to need new fuel lines since the ones you got are way to small for a v8, on top of that a new fuel pump, and mods to your current gas tank or get a new fuel cell, so add another 500.
for the front suspension you are going to need at the very least some coil overs with a pretty stiff spring to deal with the added weight of the v8. so add another 250 and that's just for the coil over kit and no brake upgrades.
then you are going to need to modify your current current cross member and the v8's oil pan, so add another 300 to 500 bucks if you can't do this on your own. have you thought about the trans tunnel modifications? if you are a good welder and have the ability to bend sheet metal and make it look nice, then you could get away with doing it your self and just buy the sheet metal, if not then you are looking at some major cash to pay a fab shop to finish this up for you. how about your steering system, do you think your's 710's engine compartment will let you keep the big and balky steering box when you drop the v8 in? guess again, you will probably need to convert to a rack and pinion set- up. so add another chuck of money here.

i'm not trying to discourage you. i just got done swapping in a ca18det into my datsun b210. the first engine i considered was a 350 chevy v8 that i have laying around doing nothing. after i added everything up, it was too much money after considering everything involved in swapping this motor in.

LuckyHenriksen
Car: 2008 VW Rabbit 1986 E30 2006 ZX6R

Go with the LS1

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

Please don't chop up the 710. I will rescue it from you if you want. Please don't go through with the V8 plan.

S12_Pilot
Car: 1985 Nissan 200sx (S12) 5-speed coupe 4-cylinder 2.0-liter 8-sparkplugs

dude dont do that to an import! That V8 is overkill! (imo)

-Pilot

007BIG3
Car: 1974 Datsun 710

Hello everyone. I was doing some research the other day and making some calculations on how much it was going to cost me to build up my 5 Speed L20B with the U67 head. Well hear are some of the things and prices
***************** Fixing L20B **************************

Long tube headers = $ 305
Intake and dual Side draft webers = $ 1000
Port and Polish Head = $ 200
Fidanza Flywheel = $ 335
Clutch and Pressure Plate = $ 150
Block Reconditioning = $ 600
Aluminum Radiator with Elec. Fan = $ 300
Exhuast from Headers Back = $ 200
Cam = $ 225

Total = $ 3315

**********************************350 V-8 ********************************

Fuel Inj. 5.7 L V-8 & 700R4 Trans include wires and ECM = $ 800
Custom Motor Mounts and Brackets = $ 200
Dual Exhuast from stock Headers Back = $ 300
Custom Aluminum Radiator and Eletric Fans = $ 400

Total = $ 1700

My estimates for the built L20b are maybe 180hp and 200 lb ft of torque.

The Stock 5.7 liter V-8 is rated at 210 hp and 300 lb ft of torque.

Yes I know I didn't mention the suspension / brake upgrade I need for either project but thats where you guys come in. I've decided to go with the big V-8 since its obviously Cheaper and it packs alot more bang for the buck. Im sure it'll be alot more reliable as well considering that it will be kept completely stock. What I need to know is if the 280Z Brake rotors and Calipers are direct bolt ons to my stock setup? Also any suggestions on a front suspension setup would be greatly aprriciated. Thanks alot guys.

z210 wrote:it's not cheaper to go v8. aside from the front suspension set up, have you thought about the rear end? how much power do think the rear will take? There's another 1000. So you plan on using stock headers? try again, custom headers are in order, or if you can fab your own then great if not add then another 300 to 400. then there's your efi fuel system requirements. you are going to need new fuel lines since the ones you got are way to small for a v8, on top of that a new fuel pump, and mods to your current gas tank or get a new fuel cell, so add another 500.
for the front suspension you are going to need at the very least some coil overs with a pretty stiff spring to deal with the added weight of the v8. so add another 250 and that's just for the coil over kit and no brake upgrades.
then you are going to need to modify your current current cross member and the v8's oil pan, so add another 300 to 500 bucks if you can't do this on your own. have you thought about the trans tunnel modifications? if you are a good welder and have the ability to bend sheet metal and make it look nice, then you could get away with doing it your self and just buy the sheet metal, if not then you are looking at some major cash to pay a fab shop to finish this up for you. how about your steering system, do you think your's 710's engine compartment will let you keep the big and balky steering box when you drop the v8 in? guess again, you will probably need to convert to a rack and pinion set- up. so add another chuck of money here.

i'm not trying to discourage you. i just got done swapping in a ca18det into my datsun b210. the first engine i considered was a 350 chevy v8 that i have laying around doing nothing. after i added everything up, it was too much money after considering everything involved in swapping this motor in.

Hello thanks for the heads-up you were right we did do alot of custom work on the frame, firewall and tunnel but the V-8 is sitting real pretty installed on the car now. We did add new gas lines and an electric fuel pump. and we also custom fabricated the headers and the radiator we also installed a 10 bolt rear end off a 94 camaro. So far I spent a total of $400 more then I had planned on this part of my build. For my custom suspension / Big Break Setup I've allocated an additional $5k I knew that going with a V-8 it would cost more in the long run but I did want something completely unique. Once again I do appreciate you feedback I will send you pictures once they're available.

Return to “Other Datsun Cars”