Bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
CodeRed
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S MT

Damn Florida seems to be a trap for bugs, of the airborne sort. My main problem is that not one bug an tar remover has aided in the removal of these baked on goodies. I think its that the Florida sun has it's way with them and cooks them on nice and well.

The one thing I tried that kind of worked was WD-40 and a lot of elbow grease. If anyone has any other products or techniques please share!

BlackSmoke
Car: 2007 350z Grand Touring

I have been doing this for years and always works for me. I get some warm water and a bunch of "Bounce" dryer sheets. Dip one of the Bounce sheets in the warm water and gently start to scrub wear the bugs are. I have never messed up any of my paint and we have bugs here in Louisiana as bad as you do. Afterward simply wash car as usual.

MRfire
Car: 350Z, Daytona Blue

BlackSmoke wrote:I have been doing this for years and always works for me. I get some warm water and a bunch of "Bounce" dryer sheets. Dip one of the Bounce sheets in the warm water and gently start to scrub wear the bugs are. I have never messed up any of my paint and we have bugs here in Louisiana as bad as you do. Afterward simply wash car as usual.
Interesting......I'll have to give that a try. Work on tar too?

CodeRed
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S MT

I think I finally found a solution to my buggy problem! It's bug scrubber I bought from walmart, may be something like your dryer sheet.

That and a little soapy water.

RubyRed240
Car: 1993 Nissan 240 SX SE - S13 Coupe
Setup: Near Stock, Automatic
Mileage: 106,000
I sold my baby!

Soapy water FTW!!!I need to pick up one of those on my next shopping trip... The bug season is in full swing right now... you'd be amazed what smacks into your car...

MastaYu
Car: 92 240SX HB SE

soapy water works wonders

BlackSmoke
Car: 2007 350z Grand Touring

Interesting I never tried it on tar. Dont see why you cant try it, wont hurt for sure.

PrinzII

I actually use both a bug and tar remover as well as one of those sponges.

ZenkiFactor
Car: 1996 240SX SE

BlackSmoke wrote:I have been doing this for years and always works for me. I get some warm water and a bunch of "Bounce" dryer sheets. Dip one of the Bounce sheets in the warm water and gently start to scrub wear the bugs are.
+1 works every time

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Smoke speaks the truth about the Bounce sheets in water - they work miracles on bug guts. I use it on my 240 all the time, I'm still a little concerned about what it might do to the paint on my Z so I just get the bugs plenty hydrated by soaking an old beach towel in water and let it set on the front end for a a while before I go out to wash the rest of the car. Not as easy as the Bounce sheet but it still saves a bunch of time and energy.

rchboy

during bug season i always make sure theres a fresh coat of wax on the areas most effected by bugs. they come off very easily with jusy soapy water and a rag with the wax on their before hand.

bayou-M

I've tried a ton of products with varied success. The best I've found is Rain-X bug and tar pre-wash gel. Just don't use a scuff pad with it! See my post in this forum. You might mess up your paint.

Kanard
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe!

has anyone used mr. clean bug and tar remover, with easy pump applicator?

bostonsftl

Most pre-soak chemicals at any self serve car wash should do the trick. Spray it on a bit thicker on the trouble spots or where bugs are heaviest then use the pre soak on the rest of the car. By this time the chemical should have done it's job and a little high pressure spray will take them right off. Also non acidic wheel cleaners work well on bugs. The bug sponges work extremely well, but they are slightly abrasive so caution should be used when using on paint. As far as bug and tar removers go, some are better than others. The most common mistake is not giving the chemical enough time to do the work before attempting to remove the bugs. Patience is a virtue

ceejay2005
Car: n/a

The wingless, oval, flat, rusted red creatures extend no longer than 1/5'' long. Four antennae attach to the front of the head directly between their eyes. You will most likely have fecal matter on your bed linens, mattresses, and pillows. This will become apparent when stains of a brownish-red color begin to appear. If any of this sounds familiar let us help extract them from your home today Pest control companies are almost always specialized to work in a specific region and that specific region's biggest chandler bug removal.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Hot soapy water soaked towel laying on the bugs to soften them up. Wipe away with a normal bath via a sheeps wool mit or microfiber. No abrasive pads or dryer sheets required.

Soaking with the hot water is key.

Return to “Detailing Forum”