Bug in EX35 Phonebook Database software!

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Mark Booth

The EX35's built-in Phonebook Database allows for the entry of 40 individual phone numbers with names and voice tags (for voice dialing). I have filled 25 of the 40 slots on my EX35 and all of the voice dialing for those numbers work fine. Unfortunately, the other way to access the EX35's Phonebook Database (manually through the steering wheel controls) does not work as I would expect it to.....

If you press the button the EX35 steering wheel with the icon of a phone (lowest button on the left side), it brings up a menu on the Navigation Screen. The first option on the menu is Redial. The second option is to access the Phonebook Database. Selecting the Phonebook Database brings up the first four entries in your Phone Book Database. Scrolling down the entries (off the bottom) brings up the next four entries, and so on, eventually scrolling through all 40 of the Phonebook Database slots.

That is, as long as the car isn't moving! If the EX35 is in motion, you can only access the first three screens (first 12 entries) of your Phonebook Database in this manner. Scrolling down to number 12 (and attempting to scroll beyond that) when the car is moving results in.... nada! It stops dead at number 12 and that's all you get!

Now, I can understand the desire for Infiniti to want to get the driver's eyes on the road. But, if this was an INTENTIONAL limitation, why do they allow you to access ANY of the numbers in this manner when the car is moving? Why is three screens (12 numbers) OK but four screens (16 numbers) or more not OK?

Frankly, I think this is some sort of bug. It just doesn't make any sense!!

Mark

michel
Car: 2008 fully loaded EX35 AWD Dark Currant and Stone interior

PERHAPS IT'S FOR OUR SAFETY...HOWEVER I DO HAVE 28 PHONE NUMBERS AND CONTACTS IN THE SYSTEM AND VOICE COMMANDS WORK JUST FINE.

WHY NOT USE THE VOICE COMMAND BUTTON INSTEAD OF PHONE BUTTON ON STEERING WHEEL? IT WORKS FINE FOR ME.

i MUST ADMIT THE VOICE COMMANDS ARE A LITTLE DIFFICULT TO MASTER AND REMEMBER BUT ONCE YOU GOT THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE'S MEMORIZED THE REST IS OK.

i LIKE THE MUTE COMMAND AS IT CAME IN HANDY A FEW TIMES.

CIAO FOR NOW

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”