Bubbling Clearcoat

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

I just picked up a '95 S14 5spd slicktop yesterday.

Paint is really excellent, but I've got some bubbling clearcoat on the trunk and roof. It literally looks like someone has wrapped the panels in plastic sandwich wrap and I can move the air bubbles around with my hands.

WTF do I do about this? I'm definitely not going to respray the thing, because the paint is too nice. Wetsand? Buff/Polish? Can I just re-clear something, will it bond to the existing paint?

I've never seen anything like this. I've seen chipping clear, but this is bizarre.

HashiriyaS14

So what do I do about it?

It's not a new car, no warranty. I just want to fix it.

Can I just wetsand and re-clear, or do I have to wetsand, re-base, THEN re-clear?

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

HashiriyaS14

Thanks. Allow me to clarify.

THIS is happening:

I can't wetsand that out. The clear is peeling off the entire car like sunburn.

I need to know whether I can re-clear the car or if I have to re-base and THEN re-clear?

HashiriyaS14

infiniti_lineup wrote:But if you don't want to go that route, then perform a "tape test". Firmly place a piece of adhesive tape on the exposed color coat, then pull it up quickly - if it removes the colorcoat, then you will have to strip it down to primer, reapply a colorcoat, then reapply a clearcoat. If it doesn't remove any of the colorcoat, then you simply need to apply a new layer of clearcoat.
^^
THIS is very helpful, I will go do this right meow. Thanks!

EDIT:

I did this both with brown packing tape and duct tape. In both cases, the tape had a tiny bit of red on it, but the colorcoat still looks good as new on the car. It certainly didn't go down to the metal or primer.

Does this mean I just have to re-clear? The colorcoat isn't peeling at all and seems totally cured and solid.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

HashiriyaS14 wrote:Thanks. Allow me to clarify.

THIS is happening:

I can't wetsand that out. The clear is peeling off the entire car like sunburn.

I need to know whether I can re-clear the car or if I have to re-base and THEN re-clear?

That's a bad case of clearcoat rash.

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

you have the beginnings of what is called Delamination. My 95 S14 has the same issue but I didn't/don't have the funds to prevent it when it started so now my car looks like a**. I'm very tempted to just take a palm sander ro the whole car and sand it down to the primer and just have maaco paint it with 3 coats of john deere blitz black and then put 4 coats of a flat clear on it ubtil I can get the money together o get the car painted the way I want it which is with multiple coats of HoK royal blue to black color shift paint and seveeal coats of clear, but thats a couple years away. Right now I just want my car to not look like a pterydactyl took a massive s*** on the roof

Return to “Detailing Forum”