Brought a parts car back from the grave!

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
ljmitch4
Car: 240sx convertible/ 99 Blazer

Hi been registered for awhile now but haven't had a reason to write in until now! Got a 'vert my Dad bought as a parts car up and running and need some help!! Anyone local to the RI area with access to cheap parts for this car? I've tried car-parts.com and ebay for some stuff but can't find a local boneyard with a 240 nevermind a 'vert!

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

That's great man! Nice to hear you are saving a life.

Why don't you make a list of items you need. Post it both here and in the classified sections.

We can help you look for some things or recommend a good place to get them.

Check the thread just below as well, there is a guy parting one out right now.

Good luck! Let us know what we can help with.

ljmitch4

Thanks! I definitely will after this w/e. Going on a hunt tomorrow in a neighboring state to see what I can find.....

dcdcdc
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Convertible 5spd

I guess now would be a good time to post some pics of the vert that I picked up for $900 post-accident. I cannibalized a 1990 hatch with dead engine and spent a year on and off restoring the vert, along w/ 5spd swap and hatch doors swap and azhitman's seat belt relocation. I have many parts from the hatch - windows, dash, ductwork, suspension, taillights, diff. located in MD. before you purists get mad, the hatch was purchased from a police auction for $75 and if we hadn't bought it, it would have gone to the crusher anyway.

dcdcdc

before paint

dcdcdc

what it looks like now.... it needs lowering badly. flat black because it comes in a can and super rare jdm weds sports wheels. if anyone knows the model name, please let me know

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

^ HOTNESS!!!

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

thank god you saved it! what did you do with the rear interior? since it had that hump behind the door from where the upper door latch was on the B pillar.

dcdcdc

maybe it's just the angle, but the hump is still there

Hijacker
'94 F-150

nah. i see it now. it just blends in

sanioll
Car: 240SX SE - Toyota Camry

you need a 91-93 bumper and stock alloys to restore its "hotness". sorry in my opinion 89 bumper just looks really ugly.

and a decent paintjob.

dcdcdc

sorry, I love flat black. it's almost invisible at night. turn off the lights and it's stealth mode.

as for the pig-nose, the new nissan corporate grille resembles the "nostrils" dare I say the 89-90 s13 was the first nissan to wear this face? if so, the current generation of designers must have been paying tribute to the s13. if not, I still prefer it to "keep it in the family."

sillyverts13

did you use hatch doors? if so i was under the impression coupe and hatch doors were different and only the coupe doors fit the vert...

P.S. pig nose or bust!

dcdcdc

yup, I used hatch doors and they fit just fine. you have to cut the interior panels a bit to fit the power window switch, esp on the driver's side (both doors were originally roll-up windows). there's also another thingy in the door jamb that is extra. the vert doors have a slot for it; the hatch doors don't. I don't know what it's for.... extra bracing perhaps? I guess you could cut a slot in the hatch door but I just removed the thing from the door jamb altogether. it was just a couple of torx screws.

go pignose!

Hijacker
'94 F-150

that stupid thing in the door jam is called a guide pin. it probably gets the door lined up for upper pin reciever. Either or, it's not needed on non-vert doors.

and as far as coupe and hatch doors go. They're identical. If DC had gotten ahold of some power window equipped interior panels, he wouldn't have even had to have cut anything to get his old button bezzels to fit.

ljmitch4

Thanks for the head's up on the other part-out! Been driving her as much as the weather allows (the tops is shot). Couple things are starting to show1.The top motor works going down but not up (turned the valve a quarter turn and have been manual since) Any ideas out there?2.The AT shifts out long between 1st and second but you guys are all over that on the other thread3.The passenger side door rattles when you hit a bump, doesn't open from the inside. Must be off slightly any ideas on how to adjust?-really annoying4. The rear windows don't always want to work, or take awhile to work5. The frame is usable but is broken in the same place I have seen others mention-do I need to fix this b/f the new top gets installed?6. You guys have posted more useful info than I could use over the past year! Thanks!

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

ljmitch4 wrote:Thanks for the head's up on the other part-out! Been driving her as much as the weather allows (the tops is shot). Couple things are starting to show1.The top motor works going down but not up (turned the valve a quarter turn and have been manual since) Any ideas out there?2.The AT shifts out long between 1st and second but you guys are all over that on the other thread3.The passenger side door rattles when you hit a bump, doesn't open from the inside. Must be off slightly any ideas on how to adjust?-really annoying4. The rear windows don't always want to work, or take awhile to work5. The frame is usable but is broken in the same place I have seen others mention-do I need to fix this b/f the new top gets installed?6. You guys have posted more useful info than I could use over the past year! Thanks!
#1.... I have never messed with the motor, so I can't recommend much there as far as repair.... But, you can check... http://www.car-parts.com to find a replacement top motor. There's a few out there now for between $100 and $200. For #3... Sounds like you have some broken clips in your passenger door. I would take the door apart and put it back together with new clips from Nissan. They are like $.50 each and do wonders for the solidity of the door. I searched forever for a part number, never found one.. so I got a few extra's from another member here, and took them to a dealership and they were able to just match them up from their parts bin. They really do make a nice differance. #4... The rear windows are a challange to adjust, but if you take off the back seat (screws at the bottom and clips at the top) you can then take off the two side interior panels. You should then be able to get at those windows a little bit and adjust them. If their tracks have gotten gummed up or out of alignment they will struggle to go up and down. See what you can find in the 'vert forum here... there is another thread referring to this. #5... I think it would be smart to repair the top frame before putting a new top on. If it is out of alignment you might put additional stress on the top material and lead to premature wear and another rip. That rip might not correspond with the location of the broken frame... just being out of alignment can mess things up if the frame is not right.

Good luck...

ljmitch4

thank you for the input-I will check out the door this w/e and have the frame looked at b/f the top is put on

waterdog
Car: 1993 240SX SE LE

ljmitch4 wrote:thank you for the input-I will check out the door this w/e and have the frame looked at b/f the top is put on
I recently bought the FSM supplement for the 240 'vert. Since we're both in RI (and its an amazingly small place), I'd be happy to provide you my copy of the supplement if you think it'll help you out with your top frame.

Just lemmee know.......Saturday's gonna be a GREAT 'vert day!!!!!

Ted

ljmitch4

Actually, thank you but I borrowed one from my Dad. I know the problem but I will have to find someone to weld it. AWESOME weather for it- took it out yesterday and this AM!

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”